Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Off Broadway show recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/off-broadway-show-recommendations-740121/)

LindaSus Oct 1st, 2007 10:59 AM

Off Broadway show recommendations

Hi, just wondering if anyone can recommend a good off broadway show. we are visiting NYC end of November. I've seen most of the shows running on broadway right now...thought we'd try something different..
Thansk for your help!
Linda

escargot Oct 1st, 2007 11:10 AM

We have seen Altar Boyz, Blue Man Group, Stomp, Forbidden Broadway, and I love you, you're perfect, now change - and enjoyed them all -
friends have seen and enjoyed Tony n Tina's wedding, but we have not. My girlfriend loved Moscow Cats..but it didn't appeal to me enough to go but she said I would have loved it...

Check out Broadwaybox.com and Playbill.com and read some reviews too and see what might appeal to you - if you are looking for a more serious play or more entertainment type vehicle... not that serious can't be entertaining :)

escargot Oct 1st, 2007 11:11 AM

I don't recall how recent, but if you type 'off broadway shows' into the search this forum box, you will probably see several threads pop up on the left with tons of great suggestions.

NeoPatrick Oct 1st, 2007 11:21 AM

Since you've seen nearly all the Broadway stuff, you really should see Forbidden Broadway -- a new version running now.

But for something with a little more "bite", there is 100 Saints You Should Know at Playwrights' Horizons, Overwhelming at the Laura Pels, and The Receptionist at Manhattan Theatre Club. All sound like interesting shows with good credits which should be playing while in NYC.

HowardR Oct 1st, 2007 03:49 PM

If, as you say, you've seen most of the shows running on Broadway, then I would definitely recommend Forbidden Broadway.

LindaL Oct 1st, 2007 04:37 PM

Another vote for Forbidden Broadway. The latest version had me laughing so hard, well you know....

desertduds Oct 1st, 2007 04:39 PM

We saw Altar Boyz in July and liked it alot.

skatedancer Oct 2nd, 2007 03:21 AM

Would Forbidden Broadway be appealing to a teenager? (15 yo) She has seen most of the musicals.

HowardR Oct 2nd, 2007 03:50 AM

Probably, as long as she's got a degree of sophistication. You only get the total pleasure from the show's humor and satire if you are a real Broadway veteran.

Rhea58 Oct 2nd, 2007 03:54 AM

Pygmalion...still in previews.
The director is still tweaking it
but Clare Danes is not bad as Eliza.
And Jay O Sanders is outstanding as
Alfred Doolittle.

escargot Oct 2nd, 2007 05:21 AM

A 15 yr old girl would love Altar Boyz - it's about a boys band (sort of an updated New Kids on the Block) - except it is a Christian band with all the religious 'guilt' implications and songs and the desire to save souls - so maybe depending on your religion you would or would not find it humorous - we thought it was quite fun- google it and read about it -

Forbidden Broadway depends on how show savvy she is - Altar Boyz gives her gorgeous guys, fun dance moves, singing, and some light hearted bantering about who each of them is, where they came from, how the group was put together, and getting thru life with a clean soul type of thing

skatedancer Oct 2nd, 2007 06:35 AM

I saw Altar Boyz, and I think my daughter would like it, precisely for the reasons you say, Escargot.

I'm thinking that FB would not be for her. Wouldn't want to pierce her romantic view of Broadway right now with satire. Leave that for the grownups!

Sorry to hijack this thread.

escargot Oct 2nd, 2007 06:50 AM

" Wouldn't want to pierce her romantic view of Broadway"
skatedancer: tell me about it ! my oldest worked for a tad in the theater and learned more than she wanted to know about behind the scenes enhancing of many things....but she still loves theater - but if she knew at 15 what she learned at 22, I think she would have had her bubble burst !

Altar Boyz was fun -

NeoPatrick Oct 2nd, 2007 06:57 AM

I guess I'm a little confused. I don't see the funny and satirical versions of the Broadway musicals in Forbidden Broadway bursting anyone's romantic view of it. Anyone who loved the "romanticism" of Grey Gardens won't be put off, but will be wildly entertained at the offbeat lyrics sung by a talented actress with a towel on her head. Forbidden Broadway never really laughs AT Broadway, it laughs WITH it.

skatedancer Oct 2nd, 2007 07:23 AM

Patrick, that's good to know. I saw it so many many years ago that I can't remember.

NeoPatrick Oct 2nd, 2007 07:27 AM

I guess my point is that sometimes some people think that people who don't like something will enjoy that "something" being made fun of. Usually, I think that is NOT the case. I don't think that people who don't like Broadway musicals would be even mildly entertained by Forbidden Broadway -- in fact they'd probably hate it. Forbidden Broadway is ONLY for those who really know and like Broadway musicals.

escargot Oct 2nd, 2007 07:58 AM

I understand and agree with you NeoPatrick, but not knowing a 15 year old, I have had teens see it who did not 'get it' as adults did, no matter how much theater they'd seen; the latter depending on what shows they'd seen and how they view theater vs. others who had seen tons of shows and viewed everything with a more mature eye. Not knowing this 15 yr old, only her mom could probably make that determination -

and then sometimes, at 15, you just want to drool at some gorgeous guys dancin and singing' to the beat :)

LindaSus Oct 3rd, 2007 06:34 AM

thanks for all the opinions! we bought tickets for Alter Boyz, and are deciding on our second show.
Thanks!
Linda