Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Odyssey New Year's Eve Cruise Chicago-Worth It? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/odyssey-new-years-eve-cruise-chicago-worth-it-487596/)

plummie Nov 24th, 2004 05:55 AM

Odyssey New Year's Eve Cruise Chicago-Worth It?

3 couples, all in our 60's, coming to Chicago for the New Year's weekend. We're interested in the Odyssey New Year's Eve dinner cruise, but wonder if the dinner is worth the $225 per person price. Any thoughts on the quality of the Odyssey food?
The cruise? Any other comments?
Thanks!

HowardR Nov 24th, 2004 08:53 AM

I can't speak specifically for the Odyssey cruises, but generally, these companies are usually not noted for the cuisine! You go for the ambiance and, depending on the city, the view.
A word of caution: Does the price include drinks? Tax? Tip? If not, you could end up spending a lot more than $225 per person.

plummie Nov 30th, 2004 06:21 AM

chicgal and Howard,

Thanks for your replies! We were deciding between Ambria's 9 course dinner and the boat. Decided to go for ambiance and a view of the fireworks over cuisine. The $225 includes all taxes, tip and open bar all night, so is comparable or a bit less than Ambria's $150 per person. Chicgal, are the Lincoln Park Zoo Lights worth seeing?
We've got tickets to Spamalot New Year's Day and doing the Ritz Carlton brunch on Sunday. Also going to the Jackie Kennedy exhibit at the Field. Anything else we shouldn't miss?

wsoxrebel Nov 30th, 2004 07:32 AM

We did a Dec night on the Odyssey for a company party and it was wonderful. I don't remember the food as being either good or bad, but the view was awe inspiring.
Getting on board involved walking the plank at a very sharp angle and was difficult in fancy high heels and even slick soled mens dress shoes.
On deck, it was cold, cold, cold so bring your fur.

JJ5 Nov 30th, 2004 07:53 AM

You made the right choice for a New Year's Eve.

Because of weather and other considerations, cruise could be great or it could be problematic. You'll love where you are going.

jlm_mi Nov 30th, 2004 09:57 AM

JJ5 - They chose the cruise. ;)

JJ5 Nov 30th, 2004 10:02 AM

I misunderstood as the view is nice but I don't think of the boat as having ambiance. Not in December/ January. It's crowded quarters, and who knows about what winds may be out there. Good luck and wear your warmest cocktail dress. LOL

dgruzew Dec 1st, 2004 02:04 PM

plummie,

I have been to both Ambria and The odessy Cruise of New years eve. I am in a different age group(I am 30) but I think I could still give you info

The odessy is very nice, the food was banquet style (like a wedding) but really very good. Lots of appetizers etc. You get a waitress so you don't have to go to the bar to get drinks, there is not alot of waiting for a drink at the bar (a big concern for people my age) We had a little choppy water so the boat sways a little and the drunker you get the more fun it becomes. The bar is also well stocked, good wine, beer (not just domestics), top shelf liquor. The crowd is extremely mixed, upstairs was hip hop dance party (people in there 20's) and downstairs was wedding music and the bottom floor was rock and roll. all age groups were represnted so you will feel fine with that. I loved it but It was expensive.

Ambria is also incredible - much quiter obvoulsy. but might get more expensive when you start buying bottles of wine. the food and service is specactular. I can only imagine NY's eve 9 courses. (I went another day) The desert cart is to dy for

Whatever you choose it sounds like a great night

plummie Dec 2nd, 2004 07:47 AM

Thanks to all of you. We did chose the cruise. My husband and I were at Ambria a couple of year's ago for New Year's and that was a great time too.

Chicgal, thanks for offering some recommendations. Here's the plan so far: leaving St. Paul on Empire Builder Thursday morning; breakfast in the diner, snacks and libations later, play some bridge, etc. Scheduled to arrive Union Station about 4pm. We're staying at the Homewood Suites. Thought we might go to Joe's Seafood for dinner, since it's nearby.

Friday morning the three of us gals are going to the Jackie Kennedy exhibit at the Field Museum. Will meet up with the guys for lunch. How is the Park Grill?
My husband loves the Berghoff for old-time atmosphere, but might like to try something new.

One couple is doing facials at Georgette Klingers at Watertower Place later Friday afternoon. The rest of us will probably just hang out, shop, whatever. On the boat Friday night.

Saturday, New Year's Day, may spend some time at the Art Institute, shop, browse. Saturday night we all have tickets to Spamalot at the Shubert. May eat at the Italian Village beforehand, since it's close by. The Village is the only one of their three restaurants open that night.

Sunday morning my guy and I may go to 4th Presbyterian to mix a little religion with our partying. We're all going to brunch at the Four Seasons (Ritz Carlton isn't open). May not need to eat much the rest of the day.
I'd like to go up to Lincoln Park later that afternoon, to the conservatory for the poinsetta/train show and from there to the Zoo Lights. May stop at R.J. Grunt's (a big favorite of our kids years ago) if we need food or drink.

Will probably stop by Billy Goat Tavern at some point (used to go there almost 50 years ago when I was a student at NU). Any good piano bars around our hotel?

Leaving Monday on a 2pm train back to MN.

Thanks again for all the help! Suggestions appreciated!

plummie Dec 7th, 2004 08:48 AM

chicgal,

Thanks so much for all the great information! No, I am not Ann Margret (unfortunately). About the only thing we share is a Swedish heritage. I was a couple of years ahead of her at NU. I did know Paula Prentiss (her name was Ragusa or something back then) and Dick Benjamin during our college days. I think they were a year or two ahead of me.
The Zoo Lights sound like great fun. No, kids don't bother us. Chicago was a favorite of our own kids, especially the Lincoln Park Zoo and the Farm in the Zoo. Just had first grandchild a week ago and I'm already planning trips to Chicago with her.
Thanks again!