Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Odds LAX Security will Confiscate my Ferrero Cake?

Notices

Old Dec 5th, 2019, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling to Chicago to see a friend who's requested I make my Ferrero Rocher cake and wondering if there's a chance LAX security will confiscate it for whatever reason? I have Global Entry and Clear if those help in any way?

I'm visiting her and seeing her new baby for the first time so it's a big deal I arrive Chicago with my very special scrumptious cake or I will end up making it there.

Thank you! Appreciate any clever advice.
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 02:17 PM

according to www.tsa.gov --------as long as it isn't liquid you can carry on a food item or pack it
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 02:19 PM

Global Entry is a program for clearing Immigration and Customs when entering the US from a foreign country. It doesn’t help you at all when clearing TSA for domestic flights within the US (other than qualifying you for TSA Pre-check which speeds up the security check) but DOES NOT give you any special privileges when it comes to bringing prohibited items through the security checkpoint. Likewise CLEAR helps speed the TSA security process but DOES NOT allow prohibited items past security.

All that being said, normally cakes and pies are allowed through TSA security but will usually be subject to a special inspection. While we’ve brought cake through TSA on a couple of occasions without any difficulty The thing you have to know is these types of items are subject to the whim of the TSA agent on duty and it is difficult to argue with them if they happen to say “no”.

Based on my experience I’d say you have a better than 90% chance you’ll get your cake through TSA without any problems.
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 02:34 PM

A cake should be OK. No rules against that. They'll likely put it thru the x-ray. This is TSA, doesn't have anything to do with Clear or Global Entry. If anyone confiscates it on a whim, it's because they want to eat it
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 07:34 PM

I wonder if it would be counted as a carryon item... Better check what you're limited to on your fare. If traveling basic economy, the cake might be the only thing you could take aboard, and I would think the container would have to fit under the seat.
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 02:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
Slim to none.
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 03:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Make it there! You more than likely can get it through security . . . But 3 hours at LAX, a five hour flight with it stuffed under the seat in front of you, and unless you are in an aisle seat, your seat mates kicking it every time they have to climb over to get out. . . . The poor cake will be a mess by the time you arrive. Just make it here . . .
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 03:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Won't let me edit - meant to say unless you are in a WINDOW seàt .
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 09:16 AM

Google images of a Ferrero cake look yummy. TSA could confiscate and enjoy later. ::
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 04:27 PM

I can see the cake getting through but might not want to bet on what the frosting will look like or whether it would be considered a "gel". I would plan on at least frosting it there. Would it pay to just bring the cake layers?

TSA officers may instruct travelers to separate items from carry-on bags such as foods, powders, and any materials that can clutter bags and obstruct clear images on the X-ray machine. Travelers are encouraged to organize their carry-on bags and keep them uncluttered to ease the screening process and keep the lines moving.

Last edited by mlgb; Dec 8th, 2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Old Dec 20th, 2019, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

The pic came out larger than expected!! It's a throwback. I might need to frost it there that's a great idea. Thank you!!
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
I can see the cake getting through but might not want to bet on what the frosting will look like or whether it would be considered a "gel". I would plan on at least frosting it there. Would it pay to just bring the cake layers?

TSA officers may instruct travelers to separate items from carry-on bags such as foods, powders, and any materials that can clutter bags and obstruct clear images on the X-ray machine. Travelers are encouraged to organize their carry-on bags and keep them uncluttered to ease the screening process and keep the lines moving.

No, frosting is not considered a gel. It's not really helpful here to speculate. The TSA specifically says on its website that it will allow frosted cakes through its security checkpoints:

Pies and Cakes

Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes

TSA officers may instruct travelers to separate items from carry-on bags such as foods, powders, and any materials that can clutter bags and obstruct clear images on the X-ray machine. Travelers are encouraged to organize their carry-on bags and keep them uncluttered to ease the screening process and keep the lines moving."

Many years ago, there were some incidents, but nothing since 2017. As long as your cake does not have a liquid center, you should be fine.