Reload this Page >

Ocean City NJ/ Wild Wood- family vacation spots? or Not

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 09:12 AM
Joyce

I have a 5yr old and a 3 yr old. May be bringing 2 additional youths. Looking for a multi-cultural atmosphere. Considering Ocean City NJ or Wild Wood. Would like to spend some time at the beach and try 1 night camping. Never been to either location but the Jersey Shore sounds nice... Would like to hear pros and cons of both places and would appreciate suggestions on where to stay.Thanks

Old Jul 4th, 1998, 07:02 PM
Lee

I have nothing bad to say about Wildwood. I have 2 kids that I take there every year and we never have enough time to do everything they want. All I can say is GO. A good hotel is the Quarterdeck 2. Visit http://www.beachcomber.com and go to cape may county and just look for info on Wildwood. You can also get all the hotel info you want. I will be there for a week in August. See you there!

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 06:20 PM
Steve

Wildwood is an great place for a family. The worlds greatest boardwalk, with rides and games. Mory's pier has a waterpark on the pier overlooking the ocean. They also have numerous rides and games for just for kids. Kids also love the wheels and games. Best bet is to go to the boardwalk for diner. Parking is cheaper and you can eat on the boardwalk. The parking goes up the later you park. The most hotels are nice, however, haven't stay in one in many year. We owe a condo, one block from the beach. Also, stay in Wildwood Crest, it more expensive, however, mostly families with small kids stay here. The city of Wildwood has more teenages/twentysomethings. There is also a great zoo called "The Cape May County Zoo". Not sure on the exit off the NJ Parkway, but not far. Ask someone at the front desk of the hotel. Make should you visit the Sea Shell Icecream Parlor. Best icecream at the shore. You should plan a trip to Cape May, old victorian home all restored. You can take a horse and cartage ride around. Kids love the ride, and you get a chance to enjoy the homes. I could go on more, but if you have any question, post them here, I'm check back.

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 05:45 PM
Sam

I would choose Ocean City over Wildwood because it has much less of a party atmosphere than Wildwood. Ocean city is a dry town and generally has more of a home town feel in the town and on the boardwalk. Wildwood has more rides and carnival games and tends to have more of a party atmosphere than Ocean City. The beach in Wildwood is huge, but there is also a lot of motels in the town and so it is generally a more crowded town- which seem to attract a lot of teenagers. I know people who would chose both towns, but Ocean City is my pick because of the quieter crowd and atmosphere.

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 11:34 AM
kam

I agree with Sam. Both places are family resorts, but Wildwood is more high school heaven and with a 3 and 5 year old you'd be better in Ocean City. You certainly could do a day trip down to Wilwood--it's not far And the horse & buggy ride in Cape May is great for kids as well as adults. Spent my childhood growing up summers in Ocean City---now many of my friends continue with their kids. It's a nice old beach town.

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 11:57 AM
Christian Collinson

First to consider at ANY Jersey shore town is do you want to swim in the Ocean? If so, better not go before the middle of July. Even now water temp. is just barely 70 degrees. It's a crapshoot. That's why its so crowded at the height of the season.

Now, it ain't called "Childwood" for nuthin'. O.C. is dry but lots of private parties go on. Wildwood has great 50's architecture & funky hotels...Fantastic boardwalk; but not real wholesome. O.C.'s b-walk not as fun, but less honky-tonk.

Don't go to either one in mid-June...High School Senior weeks. Lots of drunken teenagers. As far as cultural diversity goes, Wildwood wins easily. Many French Canadians, Italians & good 'ol white trash, along with other Caucasians of various ages.

My suggestion: Stay in nearby (generally quieter & classier family resorts) Avalon, Sea Isle, or Stone Harbor & make daytrips to Cape May Zoo, Wildwood's boardwalk @ night, Atlantic City to name a few.

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 04:24 PM
steve

Wildwood crest is also dry and shorter trip to the wildwood boardwalk. If you stay at the southern point of wildwood crest, it's all families with small kids.

Old Jul 11th, 1998, 07:26 PM
Joyce

Thanks for your feedback. Looks like now it may be based on availability at this point. Wildwood Crest sounds like it may be a good alternative to Ocean City and Wildwood. Think that may be my best bet. Will definitely consider the other locations for day trips. Can anybody help me with locating a nice condo to rent in the WWCrest area..

Also, any suggestions for a nice camp ground. This one may be tough but I want to try it out on the last day of our trip. (I'm not a camper but my 5yr saw camping on Gulla Island) and desperately wants to try it out.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts...

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 08:35 AM
Joanne

I would suggest Cape May. Its a great family spot. Its more expensive than other seaside towns but well worth it. Check out www.capemay.com for more information.

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 01:19 PM
Diane

Are you sold on New Jersey? We took our kids to Chincoteague Virginia. The town isn't on the beach (Assateague National Seashore) but there is plenty to do. Wild ponies, crabbing, fishing, just poking around. It is quite inexpensive compared to many of the Mid-Atlantic beach places. There are also camping grounds (if you are really brave!)