Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ocean City, NJ (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ocean-city-nj-596786/)

jamesy Mar 6th, 2006 09:11 AM

Ocean City, NJ

Don't know much about OC NJ. Have always stayed at Cape Cod but husband wants to try something different. Live in upstate NY near Albany and were looking into OC. We have one son (7). thought Wildwood too rowdy for us and was looking at OC. Any suggestions? Hotel near beach that is clean and nice. Looking to go last week in June

J62 Mar 6th, 2006 09:18 AM

OC is a long haul from Albany. Sand and water are similar all up and down the Jersey shore, so you could consider Long Beach island (mostly rental homes, not too many hotels), or further north in the Seaside area.

While a boardwalk is nice for kids, I prefer the quiet of a residenial area. (All LBI, and the southern part of the beach section from Seaside Park to Isl. Beach state park.

I always rent a home for the week, so sorry, I can't help with hotels.

Important driving recommendation. If you are driving S on a saturday (rental changeover day), you do NOT want to be on the Garden State Parkinglot after about 10am (and I mean pretty far south, near Perth Amboy.

If you do plan to arrive on a Sat, consider staying overnight in the Woodbridge NJ area. You will sit forever in traffic on the GSP if you don't avoid the crush.

crest332 Mar 6th, 2006 09:50 AM

How about Stone Harbor? Wonderful small beach town.

bookhall Mar 6th, 2006 12:12 PM

Ocean City would be an excellent choice. I do believe it's dry, but it's a great family pick. I've always found the Avalon/Stone Harbor area fine for us older folks, but there's not a lot for kids.

vcl Mar 6th, 2006 04:15 PM

We stayed at the Port O Call Hotel in Ocean City last summer. It's an attractive, ocean-front property with decent food and a good sized pool. It fronts on a quiet stretch of boardwalk but is within walking distance of shops and attractions. Ocean City is indeed dry, but there is one of the largest liquor stores I've ever seen on the traffic circle just before you enter the city limits. The property has no problem with guests bringing their own and there are refrigerators in the rooms.

ellen_griswold Mar 6th, 2006 06:34 PM

I agree, OC, NJ is the perfect place for a family with young children. I'm fairly sure that Port of Call is the only motel / hotel DIRECTLY on the beach (and is very nice) altho there are many mom and pop places that are very close, with no streets to cross. Be sure you rent a surrey ("with the fringe on top!") some morning and join the boardwalk parade. Very sweet! :)

jamesy Mar 7th, 2006 05:00 AM

thanks so much with all the help on OC NJ. It sounds like a good place to go and the Port O Call a good hotel. Luckily we are not going to be leaving on a Sat but in midweek. Thanks again for all the great advice

1travelbug Apr 16th, 2006 04:41 PM

James, if you decide to rent a place, most of them are very well kept and there's a really good selection to choose from. The biggest realtor down there is Berger Realty. While you're down there, don't forget to take your son to Sand Castle Park (OC's big wooden playground) and make the trip if you can to the Cape May County Zoo (only 30 minutes south). There's a movie theater (The Strand) on the boardwalk for a rainy day as well as paint-your-own-pottery place in town. My family and I loved the whale watch at the Cape May County Whale Research Center. The boardwalks are kid-friendly with 2 piers...get your tickets for Castaway Cove before 4/23 at half-price on the internet! Hope you enjoy your trip...this summer will mark the 4th year we've returned to OC!
Christina
PS...you can get their free tourist guide on the chamber's website~