Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Occidental CA area info needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/occidental-ca-area-info-needed-236672/)

Anne Jul 3rd, 2002 08:10 PM

Occidental CA area info needed

We are South SF Bay Area residents who will be house sitting for four days for friends in Occidental soon. We know Santa Rosa and Petaluma and have done the Bodega Bay-Russian River Loop. What have we missed in the area? Sights? Restaurants?<BR><BR>Thank you for sharing your ideas.

John Jul 3rd, 2002 09:26 PM

Go to the Union Hotel right in Occidental, for family style Italian dinners. <BR><BR>I believe the correct usage is "Mange."<BR><BR>Don't eat lunch that day. You won't need it the following day, either.

Betsy Jul 4th, 2002 07:14 AM

Thanks, John. I believe that it's "mangia." Mange sounds like a dog's skin disease! Anyway, the Union hotel is now on our list.

Anne Jul 4th, 2002 10:39 AM

Thank you for the restaurant idea. We'll check it out. Anything else?

Minkya Jul 4th, 2002 11:29 AM

According to Alta Vista, the correct spelling is Mangia. The definition they give is "it eats"!!!<BR><BR>Could mean a lot of things I guess.<BR><BR>Many years ago I ate at the Occidental Hotel. The food was very good, plenty, plenty, plenty of it, and reasonably inexpensive.<BR><BR>It may have changed by now, but as I remember, there were only 2 or 3 places to eat. That was Occidental.<BR><BR>Minkya

Minkya Jul 4th, 2002 11:31 AM

I meant the Union Hotel in Occidental!<BR><BR>First mistake I've made this year. My year starts July 4th.<BR><BR>Minkya

KT Jul 4th, 2002 03:11 PM

If you're a gardener, visit the Western Hills Nursery on Coleman Valley Road in Occidental. Not your run-of-the-mill garden shop. Lots of native plants and other interesting things for sale, and a lovely garden to visit with wooden bridges and a lily pond. I was there last weekend and they said something about only being open Fridays-Sundays for a while so that they could have some time to work on the plants, so you should check first.

gail Jul 4th, 2002 08:06 PM

Make sure to venture to neighboring Freestone fo a trip to the wood fired oven bread Bakery. It is right across from Osmosis (if you are looking for an unusual spa). Here is the BIG secret in Freestone. Shhh..If you drive to the gravel side of the nursery right there you will see the Statue of Liberty! (Well a replica from a parade.) It is quite overgrown, but we take our Exchange students there!<BR>The food experience in Occidental has gone downhill over the years, but we still love Howard's Station for breakfast. If you are willing to venture over to Graton, Sebastopol, or 116 there are some great places to eat.

Karen Jul 4th, 2002 08:54 PM

Definitely willing to venture over to Graton, Sebastopol, and 116. Please tell me about the good places to eat! Will check out the bakery too. Thanks!

gail Jul 5th, 2002 09:04 AM

Ourfavorite is Willowood Market in Graton. Great comfort food. The Market plate is polenta, boiled egg, spinach,cheese cured ham. Add a glass of wine and yum.It has a revolving art show and odd/artsy things for sale as well. The specials usually include meat, fish, and the desserts are wonderful. There is an book store in town and one shop that is interesting.<BR>Stella's Cafe is another great place. It is a little more expensive and harder to get into, but has great food. It is connected to Mom's Apple Pie on 116. It is between Sebastopol and Forestville.<BR>If you are looking for an out of this world hamburger, go the Sequoia Burger also on 116 heading out of Sebastopol to Cotati. You probably have already been to the Powerhouse Brewery, if you know the area.Great pub food and music. There is quite a bit going on musically and theatre wise, so you might want to call the Chamber of Commerece in the areas you would like to spend the most time in.There is a great little theatre in the old pharmacy building downtown Another one of our new favorite places to eat is Spring Hill Station. You will probably drive right by it to get to your destination. I am guessing you will take Bodega Hwy route. We are spoiled out here, there is quite a bit to choose from. If you need more specifics just let me know.

Anne Jul 5th, 2002 08:04 PM

A big thank you for all the suggestions, Gail. I'm saving this thread and starting the pre-trip diet!

gail Jul 6th, 2002 07:58 AM

Whoops...old habits.. Spring Station is now called Apple Creek Cafe. Across the road there is a nursery and shop worth visiting called Rose and Thorn. Have a great visit!

Anne Jul 18th, 2002 08:51 PM

Drove into Occidental today to start housesitting. Just wanted any foodies in the area to know about a new bakery, West Pole, in town. My husband and I had lunch there today and now I want to eat every meal of our stay there. It's open for breakfast and lunch only. I had a 12" (actually just ate half) pizza with figs, prosciutto and goat cheese. It was wonderful.<BR><BR>Headed to Willowood Market tomorrow night for dinner, thanks to Gail. Planning to check out the Sebastopol farmer's market on Sunday.