Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Obligated to buy wines when tasting? (Sonoma Valley)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm visiting Sonoma Valley in a few weeks, and this is my first time to wine country. I've read that most of the wines at the wineries are available in the towns at a better price. And my friendly sales person at the wine store where I'm a regular metioned that most of the are cheaper at his store than at the winery and I don't have to worry about getting them back on the plane.

So when you go to a tasting, is there an obligation to purchase the wine? I'm especially wondering about the by appointment only places. Just not sure what the etiquitte is for this.

Thanks!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:08 PM

We returned from a trip to Sonoma 2 weeks ago. There is no pressure to buy the wine; some of the wineries offer discounts or take off the price of the tasting if you do buy a bottle.
I am not sure about appointment only places.
It must be nice to live in a place where you can get wine; everything in PA is controlled by the state.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 04:00 AM

You shouldn't have to buy wine at a place you are paying to taste--which I think most are now.
And now, with the new regs, you can't carry it on. But wineries will have good styro boxes to pack wines safely for checking through.
The other point to think about is that the wines you taste may not be available outside a very limited release and you will want to buy them.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Hi Yellowjacket,

No, no obligation to purchase, which is why the wineries charge for tasting. Charges will vary, just ask in advance. Yes, they will credit the tasting cost toward a purchase.

If you are a big wine consumer, you can usually get good discounts by buying in volume and they will ship home to you. Yes, some of the smaller producers can be hard to obtain outside of California especially if they are very good and very popular!

Have fun!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We almost always buy if we taste, especially if it's a small tasting group and the folks pouring are personable. I don't think it is necessary though.

Kerry, PA has some advantages when it comes to wine buying. The Chairman's Select program brings some great wines to the state at bargain prices. We've gotten some really good Ridge wines as well as St. Jean and St. Francis at a significant discount.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:34 AM

We have alway bought wine when a private tour/tasting was arranged. But these were places/wines we wanted to taste and see so we went in knowing we were going to purchase a few. The tastings that are open to the public we normally don't purchase anything unless we find something that we like that is only sold at the winery.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I know I'll be leaving with more wine than I could plan on, but it's good to know that I'm not obligated to buy it. I'll make sure to only schedule private tastings if I plan on buying.

So since I will be buying, what's the best way of getting wine back on the plane now? I know we can't carry on, and I've read about some styrofoam or other type of box that you can check in. Where can I get these, and will the wine survive the trip packed this way? I know the baggage hanlders can be pretty rough sometimes.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Neopolitan

Make an appointment and go to Rafanelli to taste their superb Zinfandel and Cabernet. If your sales person sells their wines cheaper, please let me know where he is.

It would be kind of silly to taste wines if the place insisted you had to buy them even if you didn't like them!

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Yellowjacket,

The wine shipping cases are a rather large, cube-shaped box with styrofoam inside. They hold a case (12) bottles of wine in spaces shaped for wine bottles. Nearly all wine bottles will fit.

I have shipped them home from CA to my state (which will go un-named so the wine Nazis won't bust me). They worked fine with Fed Ex, but I don't know about the airlines. Those people can break anything!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 01:16 PM

We checked a case of wine with styrofoam on US AIrways. It made it from California to PA with no difficulty. I was quite impressed! We also wrapped a couple of bottles in our luggage and had no problems!
Enjoy!
Suki- I will check into that. Thanks for the info!!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 01:17 PM

"Rafanelli to taste their superb Zinfandel and Cabernet" Excellent taste, Neo. Yours and the wine! ;-)
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

I'll definitely have to get one of those boxes, or two, to bring wines back. Will it be easy to find one to buy in Sonoma? Someplace on the Plaza, or maybe the wineries actually sell them?

I've heard Rafanelli is good, and I'm thinking about going there. So many wineries and too little time! I'm just starting to look into wineries and planning an itinerary (which will be flexible!)

Neopolitan, I'm sure my wine store doesn't have all the wines in Sonoma, or even close. But they said that the wines they do carry are cheaper than what the vineyards sell them for. If the vineyards sell theirs for a lower price the wine stores won't carry them because they can't compete. Not sure if this is true of all wine stores or not.

Any other tips, feel free to pass them along!

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 04:45 PM

You have to know what you are going for. The Safeway in Healdsburg sells a lot of the area wines, not all, and not all years/reserves. But, if you know what you are buying, you can get some great bargains there. Additionally, Safeway will give you a 10% discount if you buy a case, and an additional discount if you have their Safeway card.

The caveat -- Know what you are buying. The winery might be selling it to you for $20, and you could get it for $15.

Rafanelli's is excellent. They don't sell to local shops, maybe some restaurants and others, but no main distributors. The last time there, their prices have gone way up. My guess is because of their reputation and supply & demand. There are better prices & deals in the area.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Neopolitan

In fact, unless Rafanelli has changed, you are often not able to buy wines at their winery. When we were there last, you could only order wines to be shipped on their next release, and you are limited to quantity. Unfortunately, the Florida laws became a problem and they can no longer ship to us.

I was not only pleased, but nearly went into orbit at Harris Steaks in San Francisco when they had Rafanelli Zin and Cab both on their wine list -- and even in half bottles -- something I never knew they did before.

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Kal

Neo...bottom or top half? :-?
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Neopolitan

Kal, what a silly question. If it were the top half of the bottle, the wine would run right out the bottom. The bottom half, of course!

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Kal

I seeeeeee.....
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Oh, and I thought it was divided vertically...
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Do purchase the Zin at Rafanelli, or two or three. If you can have them ship to you, if you live in a state that will allow it. Carting wine over the country, in plane or car is tricky. I do it all the time, and have only lost two bottles of wine over the years. If you have a favorite wine store at home you could have them order wine for you if the winery isn't too small.
Enjoy the food, too, as you will have the opportunity to partake of some terrific food along the way. Enjoy!!