Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oakland to Mendocino - route and sidetrip to Bodega Bay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are spending 3 nights in Mendocino in late August. Looking for input on options of driving routes in general and a potential side trip to Bodega Bay, Occidental, Jenner areas. We fly into Oakland at 9:00 a.m. (carry on only) and will rent a car so I estimate we'll be on the road by 10:00 a.m. We would like to arrive in Mendocino by 7 p.m.

I've read about beautiful scenery along the Russian River and the charming towns, Freeport, Occidental, Coleman Valley Road, the Bohemian Highway, etc. We’re interested in natural beauty – we do not drink so we won’t be tasting. Can this area be seen as a quick side trip – and if so, what specifically is recommended? Or is it too far out of the way and better for another time on it's own?

Options straight to Mendocino:
1) Highway 1 all the way to Mendocino - drive through Bodega Bay and Jenner but skip Occidental etc and exploring off the coast
2) 101 to 128 - keep it simple
3) 101 to Orr Springs Rd/Comptche Ukiah Rd instead of 128 (take 128 on the way back)

Options with side trip described above:
4) Hwy 1 from the Bay area to Bodega Bay - explore side trip described above – Hwy 1 to Mendocino (I don’t think we have time for this option)
5) 101 to Hwy 12 or 116 (which one) – explore side trip – then back out to 101 and 128
6) Or a hybrid route using Hwys 1 and 101 – Which part of Hwy 1 is more scenic? Bay area to Bodega Bay? Or Bodega Bay to Mendocino? Or would it save time to skip Hwy 1 all together? I’d be willing to skip Hwy 1 if it makes the side trip doable.

I apologize I’m a bit all over the place on this. I just can’t seem to get a clear picture even though I’ve mapped and done a lot of research. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks so much!
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 11:30 AM

The most scenic part of Highway 1 is Jenner to Mendocino. The road in from the Russian River to Jenner, Highway 116, is also very scenic but so is the road in from Petaluma to Bodega Bay. I would not go 128 or by way of Comptche.

I would go Highway 116 through the Russian River and start on Highway 1 at Jenner. Even though I have been driving this road at least twice a month for 30 years, I still find it incredibly breathtaking - just watch for cows!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
lisa
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 12:34 PM

I've lived in the Bay Area for 39 years and had never heard of Freeport, CA until this thread. Is it scenic/quaint?
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 12:35 PM

You might find it difficult to make it to Mendocino by 7, with some of these alternate Hwy 1 ideas.

The fastest way in is to go 101 to 20 and straight across.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 01:35 PM

It doesn't take nine hours to drive form Oakland to Mendocino!

When dI covered Bay Area sports, it took me less than three hours to get from Gualala to Oakland to San Francisco. Even if you are sightseeing along the way and stop a couple of times, it should take no more than six hours, tops, so you'd be in Mendocino by 4 p.m.

Occidental and Freeport are just tiny spots on the road. There is really nothing to see there. I don't know where you got this info. Jenner is a cute little town right on the water and if you went Highway 1 up the coast from there, you could stop at the Fort Ross State Historic Park, founded by the Russians in 1812 and the Kruse Rhododendron Reserve. The Timber Cove Inn is a lovely place to eat lunch or you could continue on to The Sea Ranch or Gualala.

Highway 101 to Hwy. 20 is not my idea of a scenic drive at all.

Best,
Lisa
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 02:06 PM

The Bodega Bay area is nice as is very close to Bay on a nature preserve with dear, fox, all kinds of birds and walking areas on the Bay/Ocean.
Bodega Bay Lodge is a quiet place to stay esp the Ocean Club Suites & great restaurant with peacecful water view over the preserve--look for specials--google Bodega Bay lodge specials.
http://www.bodegabaylodge.com/accommodations.html

Spud Point cafe has some of the best seafood but you have to eat outside.
http://spudpointcrab.com/

Having sunset dinner at Jenner Rievers End where the Russions River meets the ocean is a one of a kind experience. The beach is very wide here and you could also have a picnic as well.
http://ilovesunsets.com/home.html

One of the most beautiful places IMHO is Armstrong State Redwood Park short drive inland from Jenner. Easy hikes along a forest stream, amoung the forest of redwoods--there is an outdoor ampitheater where you can look up and see the sun streming thru the redwood trees and if you are quiet you will hear the bluejays.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=450
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

So sorry; I meant Freestone (not Freeport). I read an article I think it was Westways magazine about Occidental, Freestone and another little town as quaint with shops and at least worth driving through. Maybe not?
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 03:16 PM

Hi Ellie May,

These are not quaint little towns, they are literally stops on the road. Occidental is best known for its Italian restaurant, Negri's.

If you drive in from Petaluma, Valley Ford is more of a quaint little, very little (two blocks) town, with a couple of well known restaurants, Oyster Rockefeller's and Dinucci's. The town of Bodega, where the church stood in for the schoolhouse in "The Birds," is also a quaint little stop on the road but you would have to turn off the main road to get there.

Bodega Bay does have some really great places to eat, and the clam chowder at Spud Point can't be beat. But The Tides, the spot where most of "The Birds" was filmed, has been completely renovated over the years so it now looks nothing like it did in the move.

The River's End in Jenner is, indeed, a really nice place to eat and look at the view.

If you are looking for shops, Gualala and Mendocino would be the best places with many art galleries, boutiques, etc.

Lisa
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 03:38 PM

I am struggling with some of the same issues, although we are certain of going up Hwy 1, we are going all the way to Portland. So, it is hard to know how much time in any section. Gualalalisa seems to think that it is very doable to sightsee and get from San Francisco to Mendocino on the same day. I had some people say that they thought this might be too ambitious if we want to see anything on Pt. Reyes. Thanks for sharing your ideas!
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!

Lisa, I think we are going to adjust our plans by skipping Occidental etc and head straight for Jenner for a nice lunch. Would you suggest taking 116? Or the road from Petaluma? Then we'll take Hwy 1 on to Mendocino.

Also, just curious, why do you recommend against 128 or Comptche? I have definitely heard these were both scenic options.

Thanks for all the info!
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 04:38 PM

Hi McBoulder and EllieMay,

Mc, if you are going to stay on Hwy. 1 all the way (that you can) that would be a long haul, including a lengthy drive over Mt. Tam in southern Marin. I would recommend getting on Hwy. 1 at Olema, just south of Pt. Reyes, coming in through central Marin at the San Rafael exit off 101. That is one beautiful drive and certainly doable.

EllieMay, yes I would say 116 - you get to see the Russian River and lots of redwood trees line the road. To me, living here all these years, I guess I'm spoiled, and 128 and the Comptche way are OK but really nothing special if you have the chance to drive up Hwy.1 from Jenner to Mendocino, the world's most spectacular drive, IMHO.

And to both of you:

The posted sped limit on much of Hwy. 1 is 55, a speed tourists rarely achieve. In fact, most visitors go about 30 miles under the posted speed limit. So if see Gualalalisa behind you (midnight blue Toyota sports car) and she has to get somewhere, could you guys please pull over? There are numerous turnouts as well as lots of places to drink in the view.

Thanks!

Lisa
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Haha - you got it Lisa!