Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oakland Airport -- where to stay night before?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be flying out of Oakland on a Sunday, early afternoon. After missing a flight home from London last year due to a traffic jam on the M4, we're a bit paranoid about checking in on time. Would an early afternoon departure time warrant staying near the airport (in Oakland) the night before? Thanks for any insight!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 01:17 PM

I don't get it.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 01:36 PM
J62

enewell.
You're going to have to provide us a little more information. If you're asking about relocating from downtown SF to Oakland airport it's one answer (no), if you're talking about Napa, San Jose the answer is still no. Yosemite - maybe, Santa Barbara - yes, etc.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

We will be staying on the coast at Gualala and realize it is too far to drive from there to Oakland for an early afternoon flight. So, I was asking about where to stay (San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland) the night before the flight home.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Personally, I don't think Gualala is too far for an "early afternoon" flight. You don't say how early. 12:02? Oakland is a pretty small airport. If you're flight is 2:00 or later you could easily leave by 9 am and be fine.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:42 PM

If you are coming in from the coast, you could stay in wine country, in the Napa-Sonoma area. If you leave the hotel around 10am, there should not be much traffic.

You could also be closer, e.g. in Vallejo, where the lodging is cheaper but very basic Best Western, Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn.

You could also stay in Berkeley at the Berkley Marina (Radisson) or right next door is Emeryville with a Courtyard by Marriott and a Four Points by Sheraton. If you stay in this area, you will be no more than 1/2 hour from the Oakland Airport. Lots of things to do around there and not far from San Francisco either! This is probably your best choice.

Other than these, there are several hotels around Oakland Airport. Hilton, Courtyard, etc.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:46 PM

We flew to Hawaii out of Oakland International in January of this year and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. They provide a shuttle to the airport and will also shuttle you to and from any of the local restaurants.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Hi enewell, usually I agree with Easytraveler's suggestion but this time I will have to say that I would not stay in Vallejo.

If you do not have a rental car I would stay in SF and take BART to the Oakland Airport the next morning.

If you do have a rental car I would probably stay at the Berkeley Marina.
That would be the best IMHO.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Personally, I would stay at the Oakland Airport Hilton Hotel and relax and enjoy my time left worry free, that I can check out, never need the freeway and check in at the airport with ease. Have a nice Brunch at the Hilton, and be on your way happy and relaxed! I hate stress and rushing. Much rather read a good book in place ready to board.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:12 PM

You are talking about a Sunday - what is the date? The only issue MIGHT be if there is an Oakland A's game that day.

Otherwise I would NEVER stay in an Oakland airport area hotel unless I had an early morning flight. I used to have to stay in that immediate area once or twice almost every month when visiting a nearby branch office. Have stayed at the Hilton and most of the other hotels/motels along/near Hegenberger.

Unless the A's are at home that day - traffic won't be bad from most anywhere.

Stay wherever you want - SF, Jack London Square, Napa, Gualala, Marin County - but NOT at Oakland Airport
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Jack London Square would be a good option that would ease your worrying. Check out the website for lodging and dining options. You'd be close to the airport in a nice area with lots of things to do.

www.jacklondonsquare.com
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:48 PM

Agree

Agree

Agree

Now you just have to figure out whom I'm agreeing with!

Of all the locations, I'd still say the Berkeley-Emeryville by the bay hotels are your best bet.

Most of the Oakland hotels have too much noise from planes and trains for my liking.

As iloveitaly has advised, you shouldn't stay in Vallejo - if you have a choice. Which you do. Vallejo was kinda a rougher town, because it had the Mare Island Shipyards. It's undergone a vast improvement, especially near the fairgrounds where the hotels are - nevertheless, it's not a "wonderful" stop.

San Francisco would be fine if, the night BEFORE, you can map out how you will get to Oakland Airport. The streets of SF are not easy to drive for a newcomer and, if you are in a hurry to get to the airport, that's not the time to learn how to navigate SF streets!

Just my HO
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Hi easytraveler. I sure hate to put Vallejo down as I had a business there for thirty years. But I agree, not a place I would stay at for the last night before flying home out of Oakland. Did you know that Mare Island is now going to have a housing development and people are buying the houses before they are even being built? I am amazed. And people from SF are moving to Vallejo.

Vallejo could be a special place, the waterfront, the weather etc. So there is hope. Take good care and best wishes.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:29 PM

Thinking more about this - I'd probably stay somewhere like the Holiday Inn in Emeryville. You can usually get good rates, it is right off of the freeway, half of the rooms have great bay views and the others have views towards Berkeley and the east bay hills. There are a couple of restaurants w/i a couple of minutes walk, or many others just a short drive to the other side of the freeway.
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. Looks like Berkeley Marina or Emeryville will be our best bets.
Old May 1st, 2005, 09:39 AM

enewell: good choice!

iloveitaly: Hi! Hi! Still remembering that wonderful limoncello you sent to Yountville!

The news about Vallejo is good news, especially about the development. That town went through a terrible period when the shipyards closed and is just now coming back somewhat. Guess you would know all that! Love your detailed, careful, and courteous postings! Keep them up!
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:29 PM

I still feel the Oakland Airport Hilton is the easiest, worry free location. I would not go walking or driving about. It is a dangerous violent area, but I have always felt safe and comfortable (ole woman alone) inside the Hilton. I wouldn't go out to my car alone after dark but have always felt safe and comfortable inside. There is no place easier for access to the airport. That said, if time allowed, I'd stay in Half Moon Bay wor a memorable last night. We should have asked what activities you would enjoy your last night? Bed earily or out late? But, maybe you were on your way Sunday May 1st.