Oakland Airport to Hotel Rex

Jun 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Oakland Airport to Hotel Rex

I'll be arriving at Oakland Airport with my daughter in mid-June. We'll be checking in at Hotel Rex(on Sutter & Mason).

If we take AirBart, then Bart, get off at Market/Powell, what next?

Is it doable to walk to our hotel with luggages (looks like uphills and long blocks)?

Can we take our luggage on the Cable Car?

How much would taxi cost from Oakland Airport to my hotel?

Please help! Thanks!
Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:51 PM

From Powell/Market BART station it's actually six blocks and yes it's uphill. Not sure about cab from the airport--but you could still do BART and get off at Embarcadero. Cable car is there (California line) but don't think they'll allow luggage. Best bet would be to take a cab from the Hyatt Regency, across the street from the BART station.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:16 PM

Both of these BArt areas are undesirable re: women traveling alone at night..esp advertising luggage.

You could check witht he hotel for alternate ideas...there are shuttles and buses...
Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM

I think that 1JAR gave you great advice. The staff there at the hotel is among the most helpful I have ever seen. We called the concierge a week before our trip and he spent almost half an hour helping me w/restaurant info. While we we were staying at the hotel, we called from the street when lost and they talked us through how to get where we were going. They are the best and would probably help you in any way they could w/this concern.

One aside, a friend who lives near Oakland had come in on the BART to meet us for dinner and he mentioned having parked his car at a station on the line that was in a better location for returning that night. By that I mean I would heed any warnings re: safety.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

We'll be arriving during day time, so is it safer? Thanks for the advise. I'll call the hotel for help.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 05:25 PM

Ice, don't go to Powell. Get off one stop earlier - Montgomery (after Embarcadero). Find the Post St exit, one block to Sutter street, walk up from Montgomery to Mason maybe 4 blocks. They are almost flat, slightly uphill. You won't even notice.

Or if you don't feel like walking, take bus lines 2,3,4 up Sutter St - $1.50 adult fare, 50 cents for a child.

Don't think of taking luggage on cable cars. They are always overpacked, and very inconvenient as a mode of transportation.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Faina--When you say bus, do you mean MUNI? Or is MUNI a railway train? Sorry I'm a bit confused with the public transportation system in SF.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:30 AM

BART is the system of trains connecting San Francisco with the nearby towns and both airports: OAK and SFO.

MUNI is the system of buses (they have numbers: 1,2,3...) railway trains (they have letters: M,L,N... and except line F run underground in the center) and cable cars.

I know, it's confusing at first. And sorry, don't know how to explain better.

Oh, and by the way, BART tickets are not valid on MUNI and vice versa.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

So that means I can't ride BART with Muni Pass, right?

Btw, can I get Muni Pass at Oakland Airport?
Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:58 PM

Q1 - Correct. They are separate systems, each having their own tickets/passes.

Q2 - No. It's in a different county. Take the AirBart ($3 I think) to the Coliseum BART station. The stops at the airport are clearly marked -- exit the terminal, cross the roadway to the far island/curb and look for an AirBart sign (orange/red). Once at the BART station purchase tickets from the machine (one ticket per person) to whichever San Francisco station you want. One way or roundtrip, fares are posted near the machines or on kiosks. If you want to get Muni tickets, Muni shares stations with BART in downtown SF (Embarcadero, Montgomery, Powell, and Civic Center). Take the escalator up from the BART train and find a Muni booth with an attendant and ask.

If you don't think you can walk to you hotel (following directions given above from Montgomery station), and don't want to hassle figuring out which bus to take, then I would get off BART at the first SF stop, Embarcadero (this stop will be immediately after a 7 minute or so dark/noisy/maybe ear-popping stretch of going through the transbay tube [the train travels thru a tube which is under the SF Bay]), find the Drumm/Market Streets Exit, go up to the Hyatt Regency (can't miss it) and get a cab to your hotel.
Jun 4th, 2007, 12:32 AM

p.s.-

This is what an AirBart stop looks like:
http://www.johnnyjet.com/images/PicF...3sfAIRBART.jpg

And the bus looks like this:
http://www.oaklandairport.com/noise/...BART%20Bus.jpg
Jun 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM

MUNI is the SF transit, so no passes of any kind are sold in Oakland. You can check on MUNI website where to buy a pass - you can NOT buy one from the driver like in Las Vegas.
Jun 4th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Faina & everyone for your help.