COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oak Creek/Sedona Fires - Anyone know what the extent of the damage is?

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Saw horrific footage of the fires there a couple of weeks ago. Anyoen know what the extent of the damage is? Were the national monuments affected? How about Slide Rock State Park and my beloved West Fork trail? Hotels/motels/B&B affected/damaged?

Sedonians - let us know so we're prepared. We'll be traveling there in September and I know alof of people are too.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:29 PM
emd

I am going to top the thread for you that we had going al llast week and through the weekend on the extent of the fire. It is titled, "Fire Burning in Oak Creek Canyon", and USNR, a poster on here who lives in Sedona, posted on that thread.

The entire Coconino National Forest is closed to the public until the area gets enough rain to reduce the current fire hazard level. That menas that ALL of the trails are closed and all of the day use areas are closed. Hwy 89A going from Sedona to Flagstaff is still closed, although home and business owners can get into the canyon from the Flagstaff entrance of 89A.

The fire affected north Sedona (Wilson Mtn. area and several trails there) up through the part of the canyon by Slide Rock and up (north side of fire) to Sterling Canyon. As far as I can tell from all the news reprts and official fire sites alst week, they were able to hold the fire right close to the parking lot of Slide Rock Park, adn the fire did not cross 89A either.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM
emd

West Fork trail is much further up the canyon than the fire and is ok.

Hopefully the monsoon rains will come in July this year and give the area much-needed rain.

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:36 PM
emd

And one more thing- due to the excellent work by the firefighters, not ONE structure has burned and not ONE person has been hurt! Amazing.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

thanks emd. was in a conference all last week and only logged in to fodors to ask questions about where I was. Will look for that thread and thanks for topping it for me. I really appreciate it.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 01:05 PM
emd

maria, I am also going in Sept., for the Jazz on the Rocks jazz festival. I love Sedona too and am looking forward to showing the community my support by showing up, paying for a hotel, eating, shopping, and enjoying the jazz there. I feel like we will be able to hike (and other people will be able to go on jeep tours, which are affected now) by then, they just need RAIN this summer.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Indeed, that we will do. When's the jazz fgestival this year? We'll be there Sept 1 and 2.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 04:18 PM

1700 27 June 06: we had light rain throughout the Sedona area this afternoon, wind and rain coming from the northeast. More expected tomorrow. The monsoon is not here yet; dew point is still low. TV news reporters said they were "pleasantly surprised" when driven north on 89A into Oak Creek Canyon because so little fire damage was to be seen from the highway. Road may be re-opened by Wednesday. Some fire crews have moved north to big fire (called "the Warm Fire") south of Jacob Lake and north of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Facts: no homes or businesses damaged, no persons injured -- thanks to best efforts by all here.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM
emd

USNR, any rain is good news. How I wish we could send you some of the rain we have here in the D.C. area, too much of it w/flooding here.
Maybe this little rain you are having is a precursor to the monsoons.

I am sure it is a very good thing for the city and the tourist economy that the fire damage is not visible from Sedona proper, and I can appreciate that. But it is there, on that wonderful land where I used to hike around Wilson Canyon, Red Rock Secret Mountain Wilderness, Sterling Pass, Brins Mesa. etc., and it will be years before the land restores itself. I am learning now about what "fire restoration effort" means.

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:31 PM
emd

maria, the jazz festival is Sept 21-24. Saturday Sept. 23 is the all day outdoor jazz festival at the Raddison Poco Diablo resort, the big event.

see:

http://www.sedonajazz.com/events.html
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Hwy 89A through Oak Creek Canyon connecting Sedona with Flagstaff is open to all motor traffic.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 04:32 PM

I was in Sedona in January. I remember a beautiful view from a place called something like "Schnebly Hill Road" (please excuse the lack of precision).

Has this area been affected?
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Schnebly Hill Road was far from the fire area. Schnebly Hill Road has been closed indefinitely because it runs through Coconino National Forest which has been closed.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 03:33 AM
emd

JUst to add to USNR's post, the Coconino Forest area has been closed due to fire hazard, and will reopen when the area gets enough rain to bring down the hazard. Usually the area gets "monsoon" rains in July/August, although last year they did not.

Everyone is hoping for rain, because until then there are basically no hiking or biking trails or day use areas that are open in the area; it is all encompassed in the Coconino Forest.