Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oahu with Big Family - what do you suggest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can always count on the Fodorites to think of things I didn't, so mull this one over for me...

My MIL wants to take all the family to Hawaii next year to celebrate her 75th birthday. There will be 12 of us (maybe 13 if she brings her boyfriend) consisting of:
The birthday girl, my single BIL, BIL #2 and his wife and two kids (19 and 9), DH and me and our four (24, 22, 19 and 15).

There is talk of renting a house somewhere, but I'm thinking that finding a house big enough is going to be difficult, and all of us sharing one kitchen and 2 or 3 bathrooms means someone's not going to make it back home alive.

I also think we need to stay somewhere close to the beach and easy transportation because I just don't see us renting cars for the week.

Any ideas? Anyone have experience with family trips like this? (In the past we've taken the entire crew to Vegas and we've taken a cruise together, but this is a whole new ball game.)

Thanks.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:20 AM

It will be difficult finding a house large enough for all of you together - and the ones that are available will probably not be very convenient for public transportation.

If you don't plan to rent cars, staying in the Waikiki area is probably the most convenient.

If you need kitchens, it sounds like your best bet is several condos. There are many condo rentals available in Waikiki - I would just start doing some internet searches to see what comes up and if it appeals.

Outrigger Resorts, Aston Resorts and Castle Resorts are several companies that operate multiple hotels/condos on Oahu.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Unless someone has lots of time, it sounds like time for a travel agent/tour operator to me.

Trying to keep that many people happy would be challenging for most of us.

Mike Honeycutt
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 05:49 PM

It will be expensive....try these links

http://www.hawaiianbeachrentals.com/...u/rentals1.htm

http://www.vamoose.com/search?vID=1

http://www.searchoahuvacationrentals.com/

Aloha!
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 07:45 PM
trippinkpj

Renting maybe 3 Condos may work. Try, www.vrbo.com

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:08 PM

I think this sounds like a wonderful idea for a family trip. I was part of a family group of 12 (all adults) that stayed in a house on O'ahu and it was one of the best trips of my life so far. I was surprised how well it worked out for all of us to share the kitchen. We did have several vehicles, and people could go out during the day to different destinations, but then at least in the evening we were together. the house was beachfront so we could hit the water whenever we wanted, and most of us probably spent more time together there than in the house. We were at Malaekahana, where a car is a necessity, but for example vrbo.com/43928 is a 6 br 4 ba house on the beach there for $550 a night. Vrbo has many listings and within each location, you can sort by number of beds and baths. If you change your mind about having cars, I think there are reasonably priced houses on any island that would accomodate your group.

To meet your goal of not having any cars, as others have said, I think you would need to be in Waikiki. Maybe you could rent several condo units in one building.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking maybe 3 condos in Waikiki, but then the north shore rental looks great!

My concern about staying outside of Waikiki is that the 'kids' have never been to Hawaii (otherwise we'd be heading to a different island) and I don't want to spend every day driving them somewhere. If we're in Waikiki they can just head out on foot whenever they want. But maybe just planning a couple days on the south side of the island will be enough.