Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Oahu with baby - accommodation advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/oahu-with-baby-accommodation-advice-761218/)

igrane Jan 13th, 2009 01:43 PM

Oahu with baby - accommodation advice

We are looking at Oahu as a possible destination for our first family vacation in June this year, when our daughter will be 1 year old. The vacation will be about a week long.

We would like accommodation that includes a kitchen of some sort, and our budget will be up to about $500 per night.

We would prefer not to stay in Waikiki (just because we prefer a quieter experience), except perhaps at the Diamond Head end of things, but would still like to be within easy reach of Honolulu (no more than, say, 20-30 minutes from the Ala Moana Center). I would be quite keen to stay in the Kahala area if there is anything suitable there.

We would consider hotels or short-term apartment/house rentals, but my searching to date has not been very successful.

I think Turtle Beach Resort is too far away. From the look of the website of the Kahala Resort, its rooms do not have kitchens.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

And one final question: when do US schools break for the summer vacation? Am I right in thinking that this happens towards the end of June? We have some flexibility in timing and if we can, we will avoid the rush!

Thanks in advance for your help.

sf7307 Jan 13th, 2009 01:51 PM

The school calendar in the US is local, not national. In my town, school ends the first week in June (believe me, I wish it were later!).

lcuy Jan 13th, 2009 02:08 PM

Honolulu schools will mostly be ending the first week in June. Many Oahu beach rentals get taken all throughout June for the traditional big graduation parties.

Kahala is a luxury hotel, so no kitchens and dining options are fairly expensive.

You may find a weekly rental on VRBO in Kahala or Diamond Head, but there are no other hotels as it is a residential area.

Other areas that would be <30 mins from Waikiki, quiet, and might have rentals would be Manoa, Makiki, Tantalus, Kaimuki, Aina Haina. There a quite a few rental condos along the "Gold Coast" end of Waikiki too.

igrane Jan 15th, 2009 06:46 PM

Thank you both for your helpful responses.

I will investigate condos at the Gold Coast end of Waikiki to start with. Any particular recommendations would be gratefully received!

igrane

lol2g Jan 15th, 2009 11:47 PM

We stayed at the Outrigger Regency on Beachwalk last fall with our 2 young kids and we liked it. It's next to Waikiki so it might not be what you're looking for but thought I'd mention it anyway. It's a small condo-like hotel away from the busy street. our room has a kitchen. The staff were very friendly.

igrane Jan 22nd, 2009 04:08 PM

Thanks lol2g. I will look into this.

luvtravl Jan 22nd, 2009 05:44 PM

We have stayed a couple times at the Marriott KoOlina Beach Club and really enjoyed it. It is a timeshare property but they often have available condos for rent. The grounds are beautiful and the lagoons are good for children. Seems like it was about 30 minutes from Waikiki and easy drive to the North Shore.