Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Oahu - Waikiki - Sheraton Moana Surfrider (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/oahu-waikiki-sheraton-moana-surfrider-387294/)

scully Jan 14th, 2004 10:53 AM

Oahu - Waikiki - Sheraton Moana Surfrider

We're planning a 7-day trip to Oahu the end of February. Has anyone had experience with this hotel? We're first time visitors to Hawaii.

snookss Jan 14th, 2004 11:22 AM

I just spent 8 wonderful days on Oahu in November, 2003. We stayed at Pat Winston's Waikiki Condo. Phone number is 808-922-3894. The price was great! And only two blocks from the beach. It's located right in the center of everything. I personally would not spend the money on a high priced hotel. They have a website so you can even see the rooms. The island is small enough to see and enjoy during the time you will be there. The waves of the North Shore are awesome. I didn't find the food expensive like I was warned. Stay away from the Don Ho show. lol He really doesn't sing anymore and promotes his holdings on the island. Have a great trip.

Sarah Jan 14th, 2004 01:43 PM

Its my favorite hotel in Waikiki. Driving up will tell you why. It is known as the Grand Dame of Waikiki. THE OLDEST HOTEL in the area. Some tourist think the Royal Hawaiian is the oldest but once there anyone will confirm the Moana has the most history. AHH I can't say enough good things about this hotel.

You really get a sense of Steam Ship Cruise (golden era) period in Hawaii. Ask for a corner room, they are more spacious and you can just see how a giant trunk from the turn of the century would work in the space. The staff is exceptionally helpfull. I found them to be 300% more friendly than the staff at the Sister Royal Hawaiian. Another hotel a fun walk away At the Surfrider do the tour one morning.

If you are inquisative have them tell you about ghosts. The wife of the founder of Standford University was murdered in this hotel (poison from her personal maid from mainland) sometime in the 20's I think. There have been instances, I found out from staff but perhaps this is part of the tour too.

I don't know, this hotel makes me feel like I am living the Shirley Temple "Rich Orphan" reality I dreamed about as a kid. I have never done the breakfast or major meal here. I know a lot of great spots in Honolulu so I rarely do hotel dining.

I have done the buffet at Royal Hawaiian, once is good for a week stay, great but ABUNDANT. There is also area entertainment you need to come to the forum for. I like spending at least one weekend night at the Hilton for music with Olomana. There is also a hula show with fireworks (later may have stopped) and sunset on Fridays and Saturdays near the pool.
And other stuff.

Surfrider is my favorite spot in Waikiki though. I love just sitting in the common lobby reading papers from around the country and then rocking on the deck. Oh yes, love that banyon tree terrace at sunset. A GREAT PICK!!!!

Sarah Jan 14th, 2004 01:45 PM

meant do the historical tour at the moana. SORRY I AM SO LONG WINDED.

Underhill Jan 14th, 2004 01:49 PM

Our favorite at Waikiki is the beach Outrigger. The rooms have both indoor and outdoor lanais and are of a very good size.

BrendaM Jan 14th, 2004 06:27 PM

Another vote for the Surfrider. I agree with Sarah, it is my favorite hotel on Waikiki Beach. perfect location for beach watching and the historical aspect of the hotel transports you back in time. We had a lovely room, very big by Waikiki standards and large comfortable king size bed. Loved having breakfast on the veranda. Waiters served us with white gloves. My first white gloved breakfast! It was greeat fun.....The nightly hula/hawaiian show is great and cocktails at the Banyan bar at sunset a must. . Loved this place.

benderbabe Jan 15th, 2004 03:08 AM

I've been to Hawaii about 12 times, and my family always insists on staying at what they call the "middle" of Waikiki Beach...which means we always stay at either the Moana Surfrider, the Outrigger Waikiki which is next door, or the Royal Hawaiian, which is next to that.

The past couple of times, we've stayed at the Royal Hawaiian or the Moana Surfrider and have found them to be a bit run down. The beach bar under the banyan tree is still nice at the Moana Surfrider, but you can do that whether you stay there or not.

The rooms at both sheraton properties are in desperate need of doing up, and the staff last time seemed unfriendly, and the food not very good. (The breakfast buffet on the verandah at the Moana Surfrider used to be fantastic, the last time it was expensive and terrible!)

All in all, I have had better experiences at the Outrigger Waikiki. It has been done up more recently and I would say that more of the rooms have an ocean or partial ocean view. You might want to compare prices and then decide. Usually very similar.

Don't get me wrong, I like all 3 of those hotels, but my first choice would be the Outrigger, then the Moana Surfrider, and then the Royal Hawaiian.

auntiemaria Jan 15th, 2004 08:10 AM

I, too, urge you to stay at the Moana Surfrider -- filled with more history and special charm than any other lodging in Waikiki. This is no "cookie cutter" hotel.

And the Sunday breakfast buffet is to _die_ for! More food than should be legally available at one sitting. :-)

Sarah Jan 16th, 2004 06:01 AM

hey autiemarie?

Do you mele.com the Hawaiian concert site????? I just told another poster to come go there.

Sarah Jan 16th, 2004 06:11 AM

P.S autiemarie I still periodically watch one video I bought through your site Hawaiians a history of an island people. Still moved by Zutermeir's (sp?) explanation of hula in Hawaii and her life.

Tnewman2119 Jan 16th, 2004 05:35 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Moana Surfrider in March 2003 and absolutely loved it. I highly encourage you to stay at this hotel. Truly beautiful, you feel like you're in a grand hotel (ala The Grand Hotel in the movie Somewhere in Time, only on the beach! lol). The service was impeccible, and the rooms were very nice. The only thing I would recommend is to ask for a room not overlooking the courtyard/veranda area as they play live music until about 10:00 p.m., which could intrude a bit if you're early sleepers. But really, we have only great things to say about this place. Have a great time!

Mary2Go Jan 16th, 2004 06:44 PM

I love this hotel! Have stayed on many occasions in both the old part of the original hotel and in the tower. I actualy prefer the new rooms in the tower. The time we stayed in the older section we moved once due to stale smoke smell in our non smoking room. The second room was almost as bad. That was a couple of years ago and they may have updated the rooms. I just thought the more modern rooms and bathrooms were more comfortable. I can sit in the lobby and imagine myself there in the twenties or thirties. Enjoy your trip!