Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oahu: Stay at Hilton Hawaiian Village or Outrigger Reef?

Mar 24th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

I'm sure this sounds like a "duh" question, but what I'm really asking is: Is it worth the extra money to stay at HHV vs. the Reef? (I know they're both big, impersonal hotels, but my husband and I kind of like that sort of thing. Can't explain it.)

It's a $120/night difference over a five-night stay, so about $600 over the trip. I've read up on the two hotels on this board and both sound satisfactory. Size doesn't matter (hehe!) but I'm worried about reviews of stank, moldy bathrooms in Outrigger Reef. Also, looks like Outrigger is VERY close to the hotel next door -- like, say, 18 inches. But their activities sound fun, and grounds look decent.

So, in your opinion(s), is HHV worth the extra money for its pool, facilities and nicer location?
Mar 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM

karameli:
If it were me I would stay at the HHV. Nicer and bigger hotel with bigger and better rooms.
On the other hand the Outrigger is right in the middle of Waikiki and is close to alot of other hotels.
That being said the area around the Outrigger is a big mess for the next year or so due to the construction that Ohana (the owners of the Outrigger and Ohana Hotels) are doing. I would avoid the area due to the dust and traffic probelms that are occuring. Hope this helps.
Aloha!
Mar 24th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the tip about the construction. I had heard about the construction of a new Embassy Suites in that area but didn't realize the Reef would be affected by contruction plans too. Good to know! In that case, I'm definitely willing to spend the extra $$ -- I'd hate to fly 12 hours and stare at scaffolding all week!
Mar 24th, 2006, 01:02 PM
bonniebroad

karameli, I would definitely go for the HHV, even without the construction. If I'm going to spring for a nicer hotel anywhere, it's Hawaii. After I fly that far, I don't want moldy or stinky or cramped anything!

Have a wonderful time!

Mar 24th, 2006, 04:24 PM

HHV for sure. Hopefully you can get a room in the Rainbow tower, at least the 7th floor and facing Diamond Head. You'll love it. It's worth the extra bucks. This is a vacation. They also shoot off fireworks every friday night. We stayed there for 10 days 3 years ago. Even though it's a large development, it didn't feel crowded. Have fun!
Mar 25th, 2006, 10:15 AM
trippinkpj

HHV from me two. It's quieter, and away from all that construction going on. And the beach is nicer/ deeper than at Outrigger. Pretty grounds also at HHV. I stayed at the military hotel, Hale Koa next door to the HHV.

Mar 25th, 2006, 08:39 PM

The HHV is the hotel of choice. It's one of the nicest areas on the beach. And it acutally has a large beach area. Many of the hotels along Waikiki have pretty small beach space in front. Go for the Ali tower if you like a nicer hotel. We stayed there while my brother-in-law's family was in the Rainbow tower at the same time. Their rooms were nice but basic as a Super 8 with a fantastic view. The Ali has big and luxurious rooms. It also has it's own private pool and bar which is nice in a big complex so you can get away from any possible crowds if you like. One more thought, Ali tower has it's own check-in desk with little wait time while the rest of HHV checks-in in one central place so if there is a convention going on you could be in for a serious wait. Go to the Outrigger to eat at Duke's for great, affordable food.
Mar 26th, 2006, 04:40 AM

I have stayed at both HHV and Reef. I much prefer HHV. And I have to agree with Delta3 to get a room in the Ali'i Tower if possible. It has its own 2nd floor pool and work out room. HHV is a large resort (and yes, the beach here is wider than at Reef) but if you stay in the more "private" Ali'i Tower it doesn't feel quite so big. Opt for a poolside room so you can see the beach and also watch the nightly shows from your balcony!
HHV, for sure!
Mar 26th, 2006, 08:44 AM

simpson, are the pools open late at the Ali towers? or should I say are they noisy late at night? Thanks
Mar 27th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Yikes -- sorry to post and vanish! Thanks for all the info. Right now we're definitely leaning towards to HHV, especially after all the votes.

One more question: When you're on the HHV grounds, does it feel like you're in the city? My husband was a little put off by the aerial pic in Oahu Revealed. But I'm guessing the hotel is probably designed to feel like an oasis. Am I right or wrong?
Mar 27th, 2006, 05:12 PM

It really depends on your income & your budget for the trip and how much time you actually stay on the grounds of the hotel.

I don't spend much time in the hotels and just because of that, it wouldn't be worth the difference in the price.

HHV has the most land of any hotel in Waikiki. I wouldn't quite say it is an oasis, but that would be closer than to say it feels like in the city.

Lots of other choices. Here is a good map that shows the location of most of the hotels & condos in Waikiki.

The hotel you say looks real close to the Reef is the Waikiki Shore. It is an Outrigger condo and is also co-managed by Castle.

Right now there is some construction on the street side of the Reef on Beach Walk.

http://www.waikiki.us/waikikimap.htm...260bb1d8c8b18a
Mar 27th, 2006, 07:19 PM
trippinkpj

That's a great map Rusty. Do you think the construction on BeachWalk would be noisy for someone staying at the Breakers within the next few months? Thanks.

Mar 28th, 2006, 06:18 AM

karameli - you asked if the HHV grounds feel like you're in the city.... I don't think so at all. The grounds are very lush and tropical w/lots of trees, flowers, little ponds w/fish, waterfalls, etc. Not like a city at all. There is the area w/all the little shops but I still don't think it seems like a city. It's very nice there! We've stayed there 3 years ago and will be staying there again this May. : )
Mar 28th, 2006, 11:01 AM

The construction on Beach Walk would not bother me at all.

I'm not one to spend much time at the hotel.

One of the local TV stations recently had a story about the Breakers. They said no one complains about the noise.

What would bother me in many hotels in Waikiki is the garbage trucks, delivery trucks, etc. that start around 5am, or the music from the bars/lounges, etc. that go into the night.
Mar 28th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Okay, that definitely helps! It's true -- I doubt we'll be spending a ton of time in the hotel, which is why it's hard to spend the extra $600. But we'd like to be able to sit by the pool with a mai tai and ignore the city when we want to. The above posts (esp Wendy's) make it sound like the Hilton has more of a tropical, relaxing vibe. Plus, we got a fab deal on airfare so I can (try to) justify the extra $$ on the hotels!
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:50 PM
bonniebroad

karameli, I've never regretted ONE PENNY that I've spent on a nice hotel/location, but I HAVE regretted trying to save a few dollars by taking, say, a city view rather than an oceanview ... then when I get there, I realize I really want the OV, but they're not available. Once, on Kauai, my sister talked me into staying at a less-than-luxurious hotel because they had *points* to stay there ... NEVER AGAIN! I DO love to have a nice hotel to relax at at the end of the day, especially in Hawaii!

Mar 29th, 2006, 04:57 AM

karameli - I'm not sure if you booked anything yet but we booked our trip thru the hawaiitravelbureau.com and they were very helpful. The first time we stayed at the HHV we were in an ocean front room in the rainbow tower so we wanted the same for our trip in May. Thru the Hawaiitravelbureau.com we were able to book an ocean view room and they gave us an upgrade to ocean front. so that saved some money and we'll still get ocean front!
Mar 29th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Wendy! I haven't booked yet so I'll check that site out and see how their rates compare to Hilton's website.
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:05 AM

The HHV is a large resort. The Reef is a big hotel! There is a difference. The "feel" at the HHV is not of a big city, but of a refuge away from the traffic and noise!!

The hours at the Ali'i pool... I can't recall. Is it noisy? I don't think so. The super pool, which you will see from your poolside balcony, is the place that is busy and noisier. It's a gorgeous pool. They do hula dancing and music almost nightly, at this big pool. It's great to listen to the music from an Ali'i tower balcony. I prefer to be on an upper floor so I don't get the noise from late night swimmers though.

Also, the beach at the HHV is much wider than that of the Reef. No comparison!!
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:17 AM

thanks simpson for the response! We are looking forward to our trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO