Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oahu restaurants in the Entertainment book -- which are good?

Old May 27th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Lois

Thanks to advise on this site last fall, I purchased the Entertainment book back then. Now that my departure for Hawaii is around the corner, I've been skimming through the book. I'm really excited to see that Nick's Fishmarket is in there!! I plan to make a reservation before I leave home. There are so many locations in the Honolulu and Waikiki areas, I'd like some opinions about some of the places. For Honolulu, does anyone have recommendations between Hong Kong Harbor View, Sunset Grill and Pagoda Floating Restaurant? Then, for Waikiki, I'm considering Canoes at the Ilikai, Top of Waikiki, Lobster and Crab House, Lewers St. Steak and Seafood, Golden Dragon, Neptune's Garden, Waikiki Steak and Lobster House and Royal Steak and Seafood House. Nick's Fishmarket is the only one I know for sure I'm heading to! Any advice on these restaurants would be appreciated.

Old May 27th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Becky

We used our Entertainment Book at:
Trattoria Italian restaurant in Hotel Edgewater, not mentioned-YES!
Golden Dragon in HHVillage lovely atmosphere, so-so food-YOU DECIDE.
Canoes at Illikai food pretty good-YES.
Top of Waikiki, older property but kinda cool in a retro way, food good-YES
Davey Jones Ribs, good at what they offer-OH YES.
Tanaka of Tokyo in Illikai YES if you like Teppan, I don't much.
Village Steak & Seafood in HHVillage-YES
I can't report on Neptune's Garden in Pacific Beach Hotel, but please do eat at least in the Oceanarium restaurant there even for breakfast or lunch (affordable). The huge aquarium there, described on Neptune Garden page, is in both restaurants, NG on top level, Oceanarium at lower level. Lovely to watch the fish swim. We did lunch.
None of these are what would be considered gourmet, but some real tasty meals.
I'd love a report back on Nicks!
Be sure to find your way to the Byodo-In Buddhist Temple located in a cemetery with a SMALL sign "valley of the temples", on the east sideof the island. Beautiful serene spot if you beat the tour busses.
Enjoy! Becky

Old May 27th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Lois

Thanks for the information. I've already made my reservation for Nick's! I am now looking for advice on what place to have a drink and watch the sun set [it will be our last night on Oahu] that is near Nick's Fishmarket. I'll be happy to share my experiences when I get back. Getting the Entertainment book was great advice. I want to go to the Bishop Museum and there is a coupon for that,as well as several other things I've been looking into.

Old May 27th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Lenore

Hi Lois - Great pick with Nick's! You won't be disappointed in the food or the service. It was probably our favorite meal in Hawaii. I would NOT recommend the Golden Dragon in the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It's just extremely overpriced Chinese food....nothing special. Consider dinner and/or drinks at the Hau Tree Lanai Restaurant for sunset. The setting and views are beautiful and the food is quite good. Enjoy!

Old May 27th, 2002, 03:26 PM
May

Another vote for Nick's. We were just there last week and had a fantasic meal there. My boyfriend and I can't stop talking about the food as well as the service. We went there late and even though we were the last ones to leave the restaurant, we were still treated with the best service! Prices are not bad as well. My boyfriend chose a 5 course meal and it only cost $39.99. Will definitely eat there again if we ever go back to Oahu.

Old May 27th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Lois

Thanks for the feedback! If it weren't for this site, I wouldn't have known about Nick's. We'll also be on Maui if anyone has any Entertainment book tips. There are not as many choices there.

Old May 28th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Linda

We ate at the Lewers Street fish house 3 years ago, it was very good, if I remember right I think it was like in a basement. I really like the Shorebird, it's in one of the hotels and is right on the beach, it is very reasonable, you cook your own meat. I don't know if it's in the entertainment book tho, enjoy

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Candace

Are there many choices in the entertainment book for the Big Island?

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Becky

For Maui, eat at Jameson's in Kapalua, in the book.

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Becky

On the Big Island, eat at the Queens Court in the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel if you go to Hilo, gorgeous location.

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Lois

Candace,
There are very few choices in the Entertainment book for islands other than Oahu and Maui. There are a few for the Big Island, but I wouldn't bother purchasing the book unless you are also going to be on Maui or Oahu. By far, Oahu has the biggest selection.
Thanks for the Jameson recommendation Becky. The choices for Maui are considerably more limited. Can anyone advise whether or not we should try either Hecocks or Kobe Japanese Steak House in Lahaina?