Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oahu/Maui travel with in-laws and kids-help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to take our first trip to Hawaii next April with our two teen boys (15 & 17) and husband's parents (in their mid 70s). As of now, we are planning 3 nights Oahu, 5 nights Wailea, then the last 2 nights in Hana.

My biggest concern right now is how to manage the road to Hana with the 6 of us. Since we would be moving hotels, there is no way we could fit all 6 of us with our luggage in one vehicle. From what I have read about the drive, I'm not too comfortable having my in-laws drive on their own. They do drive here in Michigan, but I'm afraid all the turns and cliffs might make them nervous.

Are there any tours that could take them to Hana while we drive our own rental? I'm not sure how that would work, but I was hoping we could meet up in Hana in the afternoon.

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to make the flight arrangements. At first I was planning a 3 leg trip on one airline, but am now rethinking it. Does this sound reasonable:
Round trip flight to Oahu from Detroit
From Oahu - fly Hawaiian Airlines to Maui
From Hana - fly Pacific Wings back to Oahu
From Oahu - catch second leg of r/t back to Detroit

This plan would eliminate the drive on the Hana Highway back to the main airport on Maui. Is this a reasonable plan, or too hectic?

I love vacation planning, but feel completely overwhelmed with this one!
Thanks in advance for any advice you could give!
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 02:27 PM

I like Hana....as a day trip or perhaps a romantic overnight with just my husband. I don't think I would consider it as part of a family vacation. Why not stay in Wailea for the week and take a day trip there?
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM
bonniebroad

emmaandamber, I sort of agree with DawnCt. When I think of teenage boys on Maui, I think of them in Kaanapali, not Hana. That said, maybe your boys will be perfectly happy in Hana. Most of the kids in my family would not be ... Have you thought of a mini-van to get the whole family to Hana? I don't think it would be a good thing for the elderly parents to do that drive ... those of that age in my family would not enjoy driving that road.

I would consider a daytrip, leaving very early in the A.M. rather than transporting everything and everybody to Hana. If it were just you and your husband on a romantic getaway, yes, but I'm not sure about a real family trip .... if Hana would be the place you'd enjoy all that much.

Also, I would add another few days to my trip if I possibly could. Ten nights is not a long time in Hawaii, and coming all the way from Detroit, I might want to stretch it!

Good luck with your planning!

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 02:56 PM

I wouldn't spend the two nights in Hana either. It is very quiet and very romantic but not exactly what I'd choose for a trip with in-laws and teens.

I would also rethink even the road to Hana as a day trip. Although it is a beautiful drive it is a long day on curvy roads - with a lot of different personalities and ages in the car. Unless someone really has their heart set on Hana, I'd skip it this trip.

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM

I agree with the other poster's. We have been to Maui three times, and are going back for our daughter's wedding in May. This time we will have our twenty year olds with us (twins). I don't think they would want to stay in Hana, I'm not even sure they will want to make the day trip. I know many will disagree with me, but, I think Hana is a bit over rated.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your honest opinions. I'll admit that I'm a bit disappointed because I really wanted to stay a couple of nights at the Hotel Hana-Maui, but I would rather hear ahead of time that that might not be the best choice than figure it out once we get there. I guess a day trip to Hana is possible, but I was afraid we would feel rushed, and I didn't want anyone geting overly tired. I'm not sure now what we'll do.

I suppose I could add a day to Oahu and cut back a day on Maui. We really can't stay longer than 10 days total due to school and work schedules. A summer trip is out of the question because the in-laws won't go at that time.

I did consider renting a minivan, but that would be really crowded. We used to have one, and it was pretty packed with just the four of us when we used it for travel.

Thanks again for your input. It's trickier than I thought it would be planning this trip with the different ages and interests! I'm sure it will eventually work out but right now I am still a bit overwhelmed!
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:38 PM
trippinkpj

I like your trip plan. FYI, My teens liked Hana (they were 12 and 17 at the time). Actually so did my in-laws. They went on a separate trip when they were in there 70's.

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
trippinkpj

Actually, I don't think the Hana road has that many cliffs. I found the west side road more nerve racking in that way with the cliffs, than the road to Hana

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 10:53 AM

In 2004 "only" five of us went to Hawaii and so we rented a Ford Explorer, prior to that however, we rented mini vans. On our first trip to Hawaii we went with children and teens. Now we are headed back with 3 20 somethings and one teen. Of course they all want to go and we do enjoy family vacations....still. We are renting a mini van. The luggage makes it tight but last year I brought bungie cords and tied some luggage on the roof. It was still on the roof when we arrived and freed up some room inside. Having driven the road to Hana 3 times, its not that bad. There are no hills, just curves and very scenic curves at that. I think your teens would enjoy swimming in Oheo Gulch, or as one of mine did, jump off of the rocks. Its fun for a day. Its nice stopping at Waianapanapa State Park and mid 70's isn't too old to enjoy the ride. Our trip in August includes 3 nights on Oahu, 5 nights on Kauai and 9 nights on Maui. We never get tired of Maui. We are staying in Ka'anapali. A bit more convenient to night life which is something I wanted to avoid when my boys were teens. Have fun!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:08 PM

We did the road to Hana with 4 kids, 2 grandma's and one grandpa (no polygamy - 2 sides of the family), and my sister & her husband. We spent a night in the tree houses in Hana...Don't do that unless you want the relatives to think you're crazy & you really like mosquitoes. But it was great and we'd certainly do it again. Swimming in waterfall pools, walking through...those are things teen boys can enjoy.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

ajcolorado,
Sounds like fun! What kind of vehicle did you drive? How did you manage with all the luggage?
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:03 AM

With a large group, 2 cars gives you more freedom than one van, and can be close to the same price. Can't you drive one car and your husband the other? The elderly folks should be passengers on the trip, not drivers.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 03:21 PM

We rented through Alama and had a Chevy Astro-Van which was pretty roomy. We did Hana at the end of our Maui portion and had all of our luggage. We had 7 in the mini-van. My sister & her hubby had a jeep wrangler. My in-laws had a convertible. I used the entertainment book coupon for the car rental.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 03:57 PM

As a veteran of many trips, I think it's a mistake to try to fit too many things into a Hawaiian vacation. Unless you need to be driving every day, there is plenty to keep you busy in Maui. The less you move hotels, the more you will enjoy your trip. I've done several multi-children/inlaw trips and the less you change islands, the better. A week on each island is not unreasonable.

For 10 days, I'd find a base in Maui. Personally, I like the Kihei area. I think it's more family oriented. The guidebooks tell you it's a hodgepodge of condos but I didn't find it that way. For one thing, I thought the food was a lot cheaper. As much as teenage boys eat, that's a big consideration.

We've stayed at the Papapkea north of Kaanapali. Nice but the grounds were cramped and at that time, no beach. We've stayed at the Kamole Sands several times. They do have 3 bedroom units. The grounds are spacious.

For planning: you can drive to Hana one day, see dawn up on the volcano and maybe ride bikes down it, take a snorkeling trip to Molokini, take a boat trip to Molakai and explore that island for the day. There's Io's Needle. Figure in plenty of time for beach play and shopping. Save your travel money to get your boys scuba certified. That's something they'd have forever. Take a leimaking class.

Just my opinion but you need to take Hawaii on Aloha time...slowly and deliberately. Breathe in the sweet air. Enjoy the music. Smell the beautiful flowers. Sit on the beach and listen to the waves. To me, that's how you take in the essence of Hawaii.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:24 PM
trippinkpj

I've always had one base on Maui, although think it would be fun to have two. An upcountry B&B (in Haiku, which is where we usually stay) for 5 nights and then 5 nights in Kihei or Lahaina depending on the season. I tend to agree that staying just two nights in one spot is a little short. You can't really settle in.

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM
droolpatrol

People drive pretty slow on the Hana Highway, no one will be going 60 so maybe your in-laws could handle it. On the other hand, you and your husband could do the romantic 2 nights in Hana on your own and arrange for kids and in-laws to stay in Wailea, and take a taxi to the airport.

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

I think we have now decided to spend 4 nights on Oahu, followed by 6 nights in Wailea. We will do the 1 day drive to Hana, with all 6 of us in the car. We will probably end up renting a minivan or Suburban to make the drive more comfortable. Thanks to all for your advice!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Becareful renting a Suburban. If you are using your gold or platinum credit card to cover the insurance waiver, check to see if they cover larger vehicles. I know that pick up trucks aren't covered and I don't think SUV's larger than an Explorer are covered.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, I didn't realize that. Maybe we should just stick with the minivan. Since we won't be transporting luggage anymore, I sure we'll be fine.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Our family did a trip for my parents 50th anniversary (no teenagers involved though). Most of us get carsick so road to Hana was out. We did all really enjoy a half day, mid morning trip up to see the crater at Haleakala.