Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Oahu Luau recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/oahu-luau-recommendations-1016142/)

Anonymous123 Jun 3rd, 2014 03:40 PM

Oahu Luau recommendations

We would like to go to a luau while on Oahu - I think.
We are 4 adults - 2 of us do not drink and none of us will eat pig.
We have been to The Feast of Lei Lei dinner and show on Maui and enjoyed it. The location, food and show were good - and no group seating or buffet lines, each party got their own table and were served.
Is there anything like that on Oahu?
Thank you in advance.

suze Jun 5th, 2014 09:08 AM

No, there's nothing like Feast at Lele on Oahu.

Actually there are surprisingly few luaus at all. Paradise Cove and Germaine's plus the Polynesian Cultural Center are the ones I know about.

And a couple of the hotels (Royal Hawaiian & Hale Koa).

rjw_lgb_ca Jun 5th, 2014 12:35 PM

My husband and I did the luau at the Royal Hawaiian a few years ago. It was a lot of fun, but it was definitely not like the Feast at Lele. Food was buffet-style, the roast pork was the main meat course (there might have been chicken, however). You don't have to drink-- soft drinks or tea were free-flowing (you went to the bar for alcohol). The show itself was a hoot, including a wild fire-dancer. We had a blast, but then again, we were just glad to be in Hawai'i! ;)

RCIdreaming Jun 6th, 2014 09:22 AM

We went to the Paradise Cove luau last year. It was a blast and for what it is (tourist central) we had a great time. We booked the best seats and we were right next to the stage. To me the food was good, but not the most important part of the evening. The entertainment was the best part for me. Best of luck in your search!

Anonymous123 Jun 10th, 2014 03:19 PM

Thank you for your responses.
We'll omit the luau for Oahu and Big Island. I found a great (and expensive) restaurants and recommended dance shows - just not together at the same venue, so we will improvise.
Unless its changed over the last few years we highly recommend the Feast of LeLe for anyone heading to Maui.

Momddtravel2 Jun 10th, 2014 03:48 PM

We went to one at the Ko Olina Marriott - it was really good but it was buffet and I think part of the appeal for us was that it was right where we were staying...

euroagogo Jun 22nd, 2014 01:32 PM

Considering Feast of Lele luau but husband extremely picky eater - not kidding here. Can anyone provide a detailed description of the food? It may be better for us to sit at the bar and watch from afar so he can order what he likes. BTW what is the name of the bar?

janisj Jun 22nd, 2014 04:15 PM

euroagogo: The website has a PDF of both menus (Luau and bar)

ChiSue Jun 23rd, 2014 06:12 AM

The Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu is Mormon. (No alcohol is served.) They have an extravaganza performance with a so-so luau. You can buy one without the other. They also have an afternoon tour that takes you through 'villages' representing many of the island in Polynesia. They offer transportation to Laie (NW).

Feast At Lele is the gourmet, table-service luau in Lahaina, Maui. Old Lahaina Luau is also good -- buffet-style. The imu ceremony is enacted at luau, but you aren't eating that pig. The buffet has other options. Both of these are run by the same outfit in Lahaina. OLL is *Hawaiian*. FAT is *Polynesian*, so it has a fire-dancer (not a Hawaiian tradition).