Oahu-driving tour of North Shore sights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two years ago when we went to Hawaii we took a self-guided driving tour of sites outside of Honolulu Proper. There was a map that took us through highlights like Byodo-in-Temple, Chinaman's Hat, Sharks Cove, etc. I cannot seem to locate it anymore but I recall a Fodorite provided a link in a long-lost post.

Can anyone recall where that driving map might be? It's not thru fodors but I don't recall the source. My parents are going to Oahu and we enjoyed this driving tour so much, I wanted to share it with them.

Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM

Jerry & Sharon's Circle Island Tour provided by Dusty was what we enjoyed. I can't seem to find that link but do have my notes from the tour:

[We enjoyed Jerry & Sharon's Circle Island Tour (IND). Began on Diamondhead Rd. and stopped to view the Japanese Shrine, Halona Blowhole (fizzling today), Lanika/Kailua Beaches (Gorgeous white sand!!), in addition to all their specified stops! Earney at the Pier stop was entertaining! Told me a story about making ice cream in the islands during WWI (or II?) out of sweetened condensed milk (which I had unknowingly purchased...it was good!)

The Waiahole Poi Factory had nice people (customer and workers), but I really found that I'm not a fan of Poke, nor haupia, and the lomi lomi salad was better at the luau IMHO (too fishy here). I Loved the tomatoes and Onions grown on these islands, esp. Maui.

We somehow missed the hot dog sushi place in Waikane ... on to the Mac Nut Store....it was great! Lots of free samples...bought some souvenirs to share.
Breezed passed Laie Point since we'll have another chance tomorrow when we return for the PCC.

Sampled both Giovanni's and Romey's (They had a coupon for a free drink in the magazine right by their ordering window and no one but me grabbed it while we were there!). Prefer the garlicky Giovanni's.

Difficulty locating Turtle Beach...everyone looking down at the edge should have been a tip off! Ha! But kept looking for that little loop of a road...don't bother with THAT. No sign. It's just the next beach after Chun's (which I believe had a sign!).
As we were leaving one of the many turtles climbed ashore for a photo op! As if to say good bye!

Matsumoto's too long line sent us on to Aoki's....good, but not as fine as Auntie U's on Maui.

Skipped Dole Plantation...got a Pineapple whip at the Internat'l Marketplace another day (which is all I wanted out of that anyway!).

Saw a major fire in some fields being put out by helicopter and they had a road blocked off as a result of it. Got a couple pics.]
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:08 PM

Two driving tours on this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Olesouthernbelle, thank you for your quick reply! Giving the tour's name and reference to Dusty enabled me to search & find the posts with the detailed tour stops. Here it is for future reference:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm

Also found that if you google "Dusty's Oahu Circle Island Tour", you can find similar detail thru tripadvisor.

Thanks for your help!

Oh, and Dusty, I just now saw your reply as well. Thank you for sharing this info; I have you to thank -- some of our best Oahu memories were a result of this driving tour!
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:03 AM

Before going on our second trip to Oahu, we purchased a two CD self-guided circle island driving tour of Oahu. We bought it online, but I can't remember who we ordered it from. The cost was $15, but, with inflation, who knows what it costs now. It gave very specific directions about locations and plenty of information about what you see while you're driving. It even gives exact trip meter mileages between turns and sites to visit. The tour starts in Waikiki, but you can skip around on the discs and start wherever you want.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:29 AM

Dusty: I notice that the 'locals' stops have been left out of these tours: The pier grocery store ( good place for 'story'), the poi factory & the hot dog sushi place in Waikane. I liked the fact that these were mentioned in Jerry & Sharon's version. Any particular reason for the change?
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Rachel Ray recently did a "vacation" episode where she stayed in Waikiki, but drove around the island and stopped at all kinds of little funky places. I plan to follow her footsteps one of these days! You can find out where she went online:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rachaels-...ahu/index.html
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Belle

Actually the driving tours that are on my list are not from Jerry & Sharon's list. Many of the stops on the my lists are the same as they are the best stops. But I've been to every stop on my lists many times & the ones you mentioned I have not been to.

But feel free to add them or any other stops that you like to the thread.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Guess I'm just mixed up about who posted it then - I was certain it was you. Oh well.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 03:20 PM

"poi factory"? "hot dog sushi"? Oh, boy. I can hardly wait.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 03:52 PM

You have a lot of good experiences coming to you, Patrick!