Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oahu, Big Island, or Maui for Honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2001, 08:51 AM
Nia

Hi,
We are planning a honeymoon for late September or October 2002.

We would like to spend two weeks in Hawaii (coming from NYC), with one week on each island.

We are torn between the islands - we are both active, and really only want to spend a few days relaxing by the pool/beach, etc. We like to do a lot of sightseeing, and also like to have some type of nightlife where we can get some tropical drinks and look out at some beautiful scenery, but would like diversion, and not have to go to the same place every night. Of course, we want to be pampered and have luxurious surroundings!

The resorts I would stay at on each island are: The Four Seasons Maui, Four Seasons Big Island, and either Halekulani or Kahala Mandarin on Oahu.

I would love to hear your advice and opinions as to which two of the three islands we should pick, based on the info. I have provided. You Hawaii experts have given such great advice throughout the board, and I have learned a great deal!

Thanks in advance for your help and comments!!

Old May 10th, 2001, 10:36 AM
michele

I've never been to Maui, but I have visited the Big Island and Oahu. I think you would be very happy in Honolulu. There is a lot to do besides the beach (Pearl Harbor, Royal Hawaiian Art museum, interesting downtown, etc). It's a city with all that implies. Both the Halekulani and the Mandarin are lovely. I tend to like the Halekulani better as it's located in the city proper and you can walk to stores, etc. The Mandarin is in Diamond Head and more secluded.

Michele

Old May 10th, 2001, 11:41 AM
lynnejenn

Why not try Kauai? Like the other islands, there's plenty to do if you're the active type (hiking, kayaking, etc.)and the scenery is unsurpassed, even by the other islands. If you hike the first couple miles of the Kalalau Trail you'll be rewarded with the most spectacular view you've ever seen... And since money seems to be of little issue since you're on your honeymoon, you may want to consider the Princeville Resort on the North Shore if you want to be pampered. Our trip was 2 weeks as well, and we stayed on 3 island without feeling rushed so maybe you don't have to choose only one island. As a first timer to Hawaii, it would be my choice to avoid the Big Island until a return trip. Half the island looks like lunar landscape and I found everything to be so spread out that too much time was spent in a rental car. Oahu was great as well, but don't limit yourself to only Waikiki!

Old May 10th, 2001, 11:51 AM
natalie

I think the prettiest & most luxurious of the choices is the Four Seasons Kona and it also probably the most serene. There aren't many attractions besides the volcanoes and the nearest shopping is about 20 mins away. Beautiful Sea turtles lay upon the shore daily. My husband and I loved it. If it's your first time to the islands Maui may a good choice as there is a lot to do and see along with the nightlife. We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Oahu but didn't like it much as you have to drive through heavy Waikiki traffic 25 min or so to get down town and area attractions. The ocean view rooms, however, are the best so far. Hope this info helps! Have a great trip!

Old May 10th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Alison

Although this wasn't one of your options, I also suggest Kauai. That is where we honeymooned and it was wonderful. Princeville is nice, but there is a lot more rain on the north end of the island. We stayed at the Hyatt Resort and Spa in Poipu. The hotel was great, golf right there, but it was about a half hour/45 min to a lot of the out of doors and evening activities (although the commute would be the same from Princeville). Try the helicopter tours--early morning is the calmest. You have lots of time to think about it, as you won't be able to book your flights until 11 months before hand.

Old May 10th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Suzie

I went to Oahu on my honeymoon, I was 24. Enjoyed it very much. Stayed 4 nights and we were running out of things to do there. We were idiots. Went to Kauai and we couldn't believe how quiet it was. We had little appreciation for it after coming from so much action on Oahu. As stated earlier, we were idiots. If I were you, I would definitly do Maui. Been there 3 times. Each time more fun. Been to the BI. Lots to see there but it's different than Oahu and Maui. It's hard to tell someone else what the best choice is. Whatever you choose keep in mind that you will be miserable when you get home because HI is not like any place on the Mainland. It has a magic and a smell like no other. You will end up going back and the next time you can choose the islands you missed. Guess that explains why I'm going for my 5th time in Sept.

Old May 11th, 2001, 12:02 AM
Dan

Since you don't like to sit around, very simple:

1. 1 week Oahu (It's GORGEOUS there, especially on the East side, so don't listen to the naysayers!)

2. 1 week Maui!

Kahala and Halekulani are both nice properties, but I think the Kahala is more luxurious with a superior beach in front, BUT, it is totally isolated in a beautiful suburb only 10 or 15 min. from the action of Waikiki. You will definitely feel like you're more a part of the "action" by staying at the Halekulani (Diamond Head view ONLY!!). Or, if you're staying a full week, simply split your time between the two!

Old May 11th, 2001, 03:37 AM
paul

I've stayed on both Kauai and Hawaii, and would recommend either as a great honeymoon location. Both are beautiful, both have lots to do and explore, both are less developed and crowded than Oahu or Maui.

On Kauai either the Princeville area - the Princeville Hotel is gorgeous - (beautiful but wetter) or Poipu (sunnier, dryer) are good locations, while on the big island the Kona/Waikoloa area is a great location.

Old May 12th, 2001, 08:29 PM
Nia

Thank you all for your wonderful advice! You have really been a huge help - we're going to discuss it, and we'll let you know!!