Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oahu: Are The Wai'anae Locals Unfriendly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:29 AM
al
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard from a couple different sources that the locals in the Wai'anae section are not very friendly and that the area may be dangerous. Is this true? Anyone have any experiences, good or bad?

I'll be staying at the JW Marriott Ihilani -- should I have second thoughts?
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:46 AM

We stayed in a condo near the Ko Olina lagoons, and experienced no problems.
(link to T.R., see day8):
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1&tid=34549308
Entrance to the Ko Olina property requires stopping at a guardhouse.

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:58 AM

I have stayed at the Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club twice last year and the locals were lovely people. I can't wait to go back in April. Have a fantastic time! It's a gorgeous area.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 08:19 AM

I've lived in some pretty rough neighborhoods on the Mainland, and I never felt truly unsafe while I lived on Oahu. However, the Wai'anae Coast is the poorer area of Oahu, and it does have some of the problems that go along with that. I'm guessing, though, you will be isolated on the resort, so I'm pretty sure you will be safe.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:27 AM
al
Original Poster

Thanks for your help with this.

Since this is our first trip to Oahu I'm beginning to wonder if we might be better off staying in Waikiki, at the Waikiki Beach Marriott instead of the Ihilani. We'll be closer to the action and may get a better feel of what Oahu is all about. Is it better to stay in Waikiki and explore the outskirts or stay in the outskirts and explore Waikiki?
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:23 AM

IMHO, if it's your first trip to Oahu, I'd recommend staying in town and exploring outward rather than staying on the outside and trying to come in. You're right--Waikiki is closer to much more of the action and attractions. The Ihilani is a wonderful place to stay, but there's not much else out there (other than the beach, Ko Olina golf, and Paradise Cove Luau). It's about a 40 minute drive from Metro Honolulu (in clear traffic) so I'd imagine that would get old after a couple of days.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:35 AM

The other aspect to bear in mind if you stay at the Ihilani and drive back and forth to Waikiki is that parking is a problem. It would be much easier from this aspect to stay in Waikiki and explore out.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:44 PM

The Ihilani is not really located in Waianae. It's an approximate 10-15 minute drive from the Ihilani to Waianae town (which is located between Nanakuli and Makaha). Any locals you are likely to encounter in the Ihilani area are hotel employees or families out for a day at the beach.

As the parking to the beaches at Ko Olina are so restricted, it's not really excessively crowded - and you're not likely to get the groups of local young men just hanging out (and presumably the type most likely to be unfriendly).

Were you to drive towards Makaha, through Nanakuli and Waianae, it's not a big deal or necessarily dangerous. Just be careful on that highway - lots of accidents.

However, I agree that if you want to be "close to the action" - staying in Waikiki would be better.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:56 PM
bonniebroad

I would definitely vote for staying in Waikiki, and exploring *out.* Have a wonderful trip!

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM

"Closer to the action"? This is Hawaii, not Vegas. If you want a resort trip, then the Ihilani is just fine. If you want to see the "real Hawaii" than neither Ihilani nor the massively overcrowded and commercial Waikiki area will give it to you - look for a B&B in Kailua instead.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For a first trip I would stay in Waikiki for sure, explore Honolulu, and venture out from there around Oahu. The Bus is easy to use if you don't want a rental car.

I disagree with the poster directly above, IMO you can find the "real Hawaii" even within the heart of Waikiki by simply turning a corner, taking a long walk, eating in a non-tourist restaurant, etc.

If you want a vacation where you stay within your resort, I'd think anywhere would be OK.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Suze has a point - even in the epicenter of tacky tourism that is Waikiki, one can find real Hawaii here or there. But it ain't common. Not when there are ABC stores on every block and a massive concentration of foreign tourists, overpriced luxury stores, prostitutes, cops, and constant traffic.

If anyone thinks that Waikiki is better than a small-town B&B for discovering "what Oahu is all about" then more power to them.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM

I lived on Oahu (in Makakilo, right above Ko Olina) for three years and have visited several times since and can assure you that the Waianae coast does have its problems with crime, especially crime against tourists who generally are quick to let down their guard.

With no traffic, you can reach Waikiki by car in 30 minutes. Personally, I preferred Waikiki Beach and the windward beaches to those around my home. That's where I went on the weekends.

I agree you might not want to stay in Waikiki, but you should certainly spend a day or two there to see what it's like to stand with your feet in the water, look up and see Diamond Head. For that matter, don't leave without taking the great hike up Diamond Head - what views! Talk about Kodak moments!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 03:08 PM

<If anyone thinks that Waikiki is better than a small-town B&B for discovering "what Oahu is all about">

I don't think that at all. But different people have different priorities. For example, I am heading to Waikik next month. Traveling solo and with only 8 days there's no way I'm sitting all by myself in a small town. For a day trip on The Bus... now you're talking.

In my experience one thing masses of tourists most often have in common is lack of adventure, so the shanty-looking fresh fruit stand with the peeling paint sign and fabulous fruit bowls is hardly frequented or the back-door bakery with the grandma missing teeth and fabulous sandwiches is hardly a crowded destination.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM

I live in Honolulu and have to agree with Suze--when I first saw the post saying Kailua was the "real Hawaii" I thought, Huh?

It's not prudent to spend your entire time in Waikiki--then you won't find the more authentic aspects that Hawaii has to offer.....Although there are many, many charming & historical aspects to the area, as you can see in Edgy Lee's documentary. http://www.filmworkspacific.com/waikikivideo.html

But, I digress. Waikiki is a good place for a first-time tourist to set up a home base in order to explore outward. It's not far from Diamond Head, Kaimuki, Manoa, Tantalus, or the other wonderful charming towns you can find in Metro Honolulu. It's also a quick drive to get to the attractions, such as the Pali Lookout, Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, etc; or if al prefers to just kick back and have a sunset cocktail, at least you know there are a ton of great places to do so with an ocean view and live local music in Waikiki.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:31 AM

I mentioned Kailua because of the many beachfront B&Bs available there. There are also plenty of shops and restaurants. Manoa, Tantalus, and even Kaimuki would be great "homebases" too. But Waikiki is an ugly crowded district of tenament-like hotels squeezed together because of oppressive zoning rules. It isn't "convenient" to anything unless bus transfers or high parking fees are convenient. And if they are - then why not stay in any of a dozen prettier communities on Oahu? Leave Waikiki to the Tokyo newlyweds and package tour crowd.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Rather than trash Waikiki (which I am perfectly capable of making my own opinion about) it is real helpful to get the names of specific smaller towns to go visit on The Bus. I know I can ride the circle routes but would like to plan the days and know where to hop on and off.

So my thanks to Melissa and bob also for suggestions above. (I posted a new thread a few days ago asking about this but didn't get replies.)
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:51 AM
al
Original Poster

Since this is our first trip to Oahu and a lot of things we want to see are in or close to Waikiki, we've taken the plunge and switched from the JW Marriott to the Waikiki Beach Marriott. MelissaHI is right -- as nice as the Ihilani is, the 40 minute drive to and from Waikiki almost every day is beginning to sound a bit daunting.

Now we'll be able to walk around and take the bus most of the time and will rent a car for 2 days to explore the rest of the island. Sounds great!

Thanks for all your help.

By the way, you know these webcams?

http://www.honolulu.gov/cameras/index.htm

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:58 AM

al-

The website for those webcams are permanently on my "favorites" list.

As soon as I hear there is a stalled car or accident on the freeway, I am clicking on all the various views, trying to plot the commute home. A minor fender bender pulled over to the side of the road can snarl up traffic like you wouldn't believe - it will make my normal 45 minute commute double in a heartbeat.

And yes, that 40 minute drive from town to the Ihilani would be over an hour were you to try to return to your hotel on a weekday anytime from 3 p.m. on.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:30 AM

al,
This will be our second trip in April and we decided to do something different-we found the ideal cottage on the Ka'a'awa eastern side @ VRBO website. We wanted to have the luxury of beachfront and the privacy we'll enjoy. Have you considered looking into a privately owned property vs. hotel? To me, this is the ideal way to go. And these properties are much less than a hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -