Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Oahu & Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/oahu-and-maui-468354/)

jverrine Aug 19th, 2004 11:52 AM

Oahu & Maui

Hi,
My boyfriend and I (in our early 30's - no kids) are going to Oahu for 4 nights and Maui for 4 nights the last week of September. It is the first time for both of us and we are looking for suggestions. We love the outdoors and also like to party. Do you have hotel and activity recommendations? I think we've definitely decided on the Road to Hana with an overnight stay at the Hotel Hana-Maui in a Sea Ranch cottage and the trip to the volcano. We are especially confused about where to stay in Maui the other 2 nights. Any advice is appreciated!

travelinandgolfin Aug 19th, 2004 12:07 PM

Without knowing more details, it's hard to say. Try Tripadvisor.com. Lot's of great info.

You have nice cheap motels, all the way up to the luxary resorts. Many inexpensive condos as well, especially on Maui.

jverrine Aug 19th, 2004 12:31 PM

I'm looking for right on or very close to the beach and mid to upscale property. We are looking for a location that will allow us to experience the nightlife of Oahu and Maui but also be close to some outdoor activities.

dreamathers Aug 19th, 2004 01:15 PM

On Maui most of the action is in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area. I'd research some of the resorts in this area- Hyatt, Sheraton, Whaler condos. We stayed in Wailea and prefer this area- but this is a more relaxed location with little nightlife and our time was mostly spent snorkeling along the beaches.

On Oahu we stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki- nice hotel and definitely in the center of the action and right on the beach. If you like to party you'd enjoy a sunset sail on the Outrigger Reef's catamaran- all you can drink and it's really fun to sit on the nets and get splashed by the water.

maui2005 Aug 26th, 2004 04:19 AM

My fiancé and I are going to Maui for 7 nights and Oahu for 2 on our honeymoon next April. We have a junior suite booked at the Maui Kai (unit 402)(in Kaanapali) for $110 a night through the owner!!! Check out their website http://www.paradiseinmaui.com

You can see pictures of the condo. Sandra (the owner) also has a nice welcome letter to help you get around Maui.

sail10 Aug 26th, 2004 08:50 AM

As far as MAUI, the beach in Wailea is very nice , little night life. The beach in Kaanapali is also very nice and there is a lot of night life. Saying that you need to understand there are only these hotels that are on the best beach. They are the hyatt , marriott, kaanapalli Alii, westin condos, kaanapali beach hotel, and last the sheraton. All other hotels or condos are not on the same beach , but advertise the are in kaanapali.
I think you would be most happy staying in one of the hotels listed above , there are lots of beach side grills, reataurants and just a lot of activity , and the snorkeling is very good at black rock, that is at the sheraton. There is a board walk all along the beach from hotel to hotel, and a very nice small oudoor shopping area.
As far as Oahu stay as close to the beach as affordable. I stayed at the Aston Beach Resort , not on the beach but just across from it. Had a great view of Diamond head and the beach. I hope there still is a hula show every night near the statue of Duke ( the father of modern surfing) it was very nice , as authenic as it gets. And every evening just before sun set thje hotels send out young men to light all the torches up and down the beach, very nice.
Note the road to hana is great, get your C.D. and stop at all the hikes, i think the first hike you get to is a rain forest and it was very beutifull. As i have commented in the past look for paths off road there are some black sand beaches( hard to get to ) as you exit the rain forest. H ave a great trip. sail

beachgirl86 Aug 26th, 2004 08:54 AM

My husband and I jut got back from Hawaii. We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach in Oahu and the Hyatt on Kaanapali in Maui. I would highly recommend both of those hotels. We have great experiences at each, no problems at all.