Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Oahu and Kauai or Maui? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/oahu-and-kauai-or-maui-308617/)

superdave Apr 19th, 2003 02:21 PM

Oahu and Kauai or Maui?

My wife and I are spending 8 days in mid Nov. we are for sure gonna do 3 or 4 in Oahu and we are trying to decide on a second island choice any help would be appreciated

Loungin Apr 19th, 2003 02:32 PM

That's a tough question. I'd say after Oahu go to Maui and Kauai but I know that you won't have the time for that. It just depends on what you you're looking for. On Maui, you can do 'The Road to Hana'(which is an incredible experience), climb Haleakala(which is incredible too), snorkel at Molokini, etc. On Kauai, you can take a helicopter ride around the island(which you can do on Maui too), take hikes through the rainforest(which you can do on Maui too). It's tough to decide. Both islands are very beautiful and laid back. Some say that Maui is getting to be more like Oahu, but I disagree. Each island has its own beauty. It's hard for me to choose between any of them. Flip a coin, seriously. I don't think you can go wrong with either island. They're both beautiful. Whatever island you go to this time, go to the other next time. Take care.

RCLCOLPB Apr 19th, 2003 08:06 PM

They are both great, but personally I would vote for Kauai--about the most beautiful place we have ever been to, and I think less developed than Maui, though in both cases depends on where you go. But I have only been there in summertime and particularly like the north shore of Kauai, but I believe that tends to be rainy and have rough ocean water at beaches that time of year.<BR><BR>Len

TourGuide Apr 20th, 2003 04:05 AM

As noted, each island is unique. I think the two islands most alike are Oahu and Maui, so this would be a vote for Kauai or the BI and your second island.

sail10 Apr 20th, 2003 06:27 PM

Both islands offer moderate to hard activities. Maui offers more moderate and more choices of activities. Kauai offers less people and more foliage or as my wife says more country atmosphere. I vote Maui for the diversity. nick

ezron Apr 20th, 2003 06:40 PM

I vote Maui AND Kauai and forget Oahu. Don't get me wrong, Oahu can be nice. But we feel a day on Oahu is a day you could have been on Maui or Kauai.JMHO

Amparo Apr 23rd, 2003 06:28 AM

We were in Oahu and Kauai last May. Loved both. True, Oahu is more comercial, but there is so much to see. There's a lot of history there and it is a beautiful place. If you go to Kauai, take a tour of the Baby Grand Canyon and the Fern Grotto. If you like nightclub entertainment go to <BR>the Outrigger Waikiki for the SOS show.<BR>If you have the time rent a car and drive to the north shore. Get the Hawaii entertainment book for discounts<BR>for tours and restaurants. If you don't want to buy the book, there are coupon books in Oahu that are free. Hope this helps.

lrvlsc Apr 23rd, 2003 09:50 PM

My vote is for Kauai, my favorite Hawaiian Island. I just love the unspoiled setting. It's wonderful if you enjoy hiking - the Kalalau trail, Waimea Canyon. Even If you prefer a less active vacation, you couldn't ask for a more laid back spot. I think this would be a good contrast and relaxing way to top off the relative hustle and bustle of Oahu.

Maui is more laid-back than Oahu, but still offers more diversions than Kauai (more nightlife, golf, shopping, etc) that I think you might not find it all that different from Oahu.

iceeu2 Apr 24th, 2003 06:09 AM

It really depends on what you want to do. Do Oahu and Maui this time and then go back to Kauai the next time!!
I loved Maui in my younger days, but now I love the laid back Kauai.