Reload this Page >

Oahu & Big Island with 2 toddlers - condo/location recommendations needed

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

First, I want to apologize this is so long, but wanted to include all relevant info.

We're just starting to plan our family trip to Oahu & Big Island in late Apr/early May and could use some advice on where to stay. My husband and I will be travelling with our 2 kids, ages 2.5 and 16 months. We are planning to spend 4-5 nights in Oahu and then 6-7 nights on the Big Island. For the Oahu part of the trip, our moms will be coming with us; we'll be on our own on the BI.

On both islands, we're looking for a condo (2/3 bedrooms on Oahu and 1/2 bedrooms on BI). We would really like to find one that is newer and/or updated, with nice furnishings. Our budget on Oahu is $200-$300/night and for the BI is approx $150-200/night (obviously hoping for the lower end of the ranges).

On Oahu, we're hoping to be located walking distance to a toddler-friendly beach and close to shopping/restaurants. Also, it'd be great if there was a playground nearby. I'd prefer not to stay in Wakiki itself - we're not really there for the nightlife, more for relaxation and sightseeing. I've heard that Kailua Beach is great for kids? Would you recommend this area? Is it convenient to all the touristy stuff in Wakiki so that we can easily do them too?

On the BI, I think we've narrowed it down to the Waikoloa Beach area - we're looking into Waikoloa Beach Villas and Kolea (a bit above our budget, but trying to figure out how to fit it in). Any feedback on these condos? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:46 PM

If you stay in Kailua and drive in to Waikiki, it will take at least half an hour. Once there you will have to find a place to park and pay for parking.

I have only been to the beach in Kailua once, in July, and it was very windy and water was quite rough I thought in the area we went to. So with my limited experience I really can't say much about Kailua. For rentals there I would start with VRBO.com. I think you are going to see mainly houses, as opposed to condos.

Personally I love Waikiki and of course there are more lodging options there, and the beaches I would say are generally good for toddlers. There is a playground next to the beach at Ft deRussy. Waikiki can be a good base for sightseeing around the island. What touristy things are you thining of doing in Waikiki?

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:04 PM

Stay in Waikiki on Oahu. There is a breakwall that goes for about 3 blocks that makes it a nice beach for kids.

Resortquest Waikiki Sunset (1/2bedroom condo) & Resortquest Waikiki Banyan (1 bedroom condo) are in the area. They are dated but decent.

Resortquest has a couple other condos.

www.visit-oahu.com Free brochure. There are over 400 websites for lodging, restaurants, attractions in the brochure & on the site. Click on: OVB Yellow Pages

Lots of info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM

if staying at a waikiki high-rise, i'd make sure the balcony has glass enclosure or the rails are 4" apart. i'm just thinking about the kids safety.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the responses. we are now reconsidering going to Oahu vs. Maui for the first part of the trip. staying in a high-rise in Waikiki isn't appealing to me, as I'm picturing something a little more laid back and quiet.

anyhow, we're now considering going to maui and then the BI. On Maui, we're looking into Kapalua Golf Villas (I know not exactly on the beach), but meets our budget requirements. What is the feedback on these condos? Location? Is the weather there going to be ok during the last week of April? I heard it tends to be more rainy there, but hoping that it would be better at the end of April?

thanks!
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Hi again Mcw. Sorry I have no info on Maui, but if that is now the info you seek, you will probably get more replies if you start a new thread with Maui in the title.

Was there any other info you wanted on Oahu?

Hope you have a great trip, wherever you decide to go!