Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Oahu Airport Transportation to Residential Area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/oahu-airport-transportation-to-residential-area-728282/)

jiggylou Aug 12th, 2007 09:34 AM

Oahu Airport Transportation to Residential Area

Could anyone recommend a transportation company who could take a family of four adults from Oahu airport to a residential area near Hanauma Bay? Thank you ahead of time.

suze Aug 12th, 2007 09:51 AM

Why not just use a taxi from the lineup outside the airport?

bookhall Aug 12th, 2007 10:08 AM

From what I saw, it's probably just as cheap to get a limo in Honolulu as a taxi. Rates seem quie reasonable....

suze Aug 12th, 2007 10:16 AM

In January, our taxi WAS a limo (an older beat up one) same cost as regular car, it just happened to come up next in the taxi line up, but I'm sure you could have requested a larger vehicle.

dusty56438 Aug 12th, 2007 10:43 AM

It will probably cost $75 each way by cab.

You ought to rent a car.

suze Aug 12th, 2007 11:07 AM

Dusty is it really that much further going there, than into central Waikiki? I mention only because our taxi was only $28 each way.

dusty56438 Aug 12th, 2007 11:33 AM

Hanauma Bay is more than twice the distance as airport to Waikiki is.

If it isn't $75 it won't be much less.

Plus when they get there, they will have to pay for buses, cabs or some other way to get around.

suze Aug 12th, 2007 12:08 PM

Thanks Dusty, I think renting a car is a great suggestion, don't get me wrong. But maybe jiggylou has a specfic reason they can't or don't want to? Even $75 for 4 people doesn't sound all that high to me for the service.

lcuy Aug 12th, 2007 12:33 PM

jiggy- are you planning to visit Hanauma bay or going to stay somewhere in Hawaii Kai?

The cab will definitely cost around $75 each way. Unless you really can't or don't want to drive, you would do much better to rent a cheap car for a day at maybe $50 + gas.

It is a very easy drive...get onto the eastbound freeway from the airport toward Honolulu, and stay on that same road (even when it turns into Kalanianaole Hwy) for about 15 miles.

If you are going to Hanauma bay, you can park in the lot. if the lot is full, turn around and park in the res area and walk or taxi back up the hill.

hawaiiantraveler Aug 12th, 2007 01:33 PM

jiggy,

Call Hal's Hawaii Kai Shuttle at (808) 373-3333. They have a/c vans and cost would be around $40.00 for four people at 2:00 pm pickup at airport and drop off in Hawaii Kai.

They charge a little more for late night or early morning pickups but call them and they will give you a quote over the phone. I use them occasionally as I live in East Oahu. Definitely cheaper than a taxi or rent a car

Aloha!

janisj Aug 12th, 2007 01:40 PM

we need a few more details - like are you staying in that area and will have a car after you get there? Or are you visiting Hanauma Bay and then back to Honolulu? Or ???

jiggylou Aug 12th, 2007 06:06 PM

Hi Everyone, Thank you very much for all your responses. I will have a rental car when I arrive in Oahu during my stay. My dilemma is that I’ll be traveling all night from Japan and arrive @ 7am in the morning. My family arrives @ noon the same day. My intentions is to get the rental house prepared, grocery shop and prepare lunch for my family or possibly take a nap depending if I get any sleep on the flight over. So, I wanted to have a backup plan to hire a airport pickup in case I’m unable to.