O'Hare Airport: Best Place to Meet

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying into O'Hare on Thursday, arriving at Terminal 1. One sister is arriving a short time later at Terminal 3. Another sister is trying to arrive about the same time, but would come in at Terminal 2. I will be be bringing a small suitcase and a carryon and hope to get both on the plane. We would like to take a taxi to our hotel together.

1. If I can't carry both bags on the plane and have to go to baggage claim, can I meet them at their gates or baggage claims?

2. If I can't meet them at their gates or their baggage claim areas, where would be a good place to meet before we go into Chicago?

3. Is a cab into Chicago our best option (since there will be the three of us and our bags)? How much should we expect to pay?

Thanks for your advice!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 09:02 AM

My recommendation would be that you take the El into Chicago (the Blue Line runs directly into the airport, and will take you downtown in about 45 minutes for only $1.75). A taxi would cost about $35. If you take the El as opposed to a taxi, you and your sisters could simply meet at the train platform- there is only one, and it is clearly marked (and therefore, pretty hard to miss!). O'Hare is a huge airport, and it can be difficult to meet up with multiple people. Hope this helps some.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 09:14 AM

great idea jtankers!
I was going to suggest a helo to Midway.
M
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 01:23 PM

You could meet just outside the paying area for the CTA Blue Line into the city (basement level near terminal 2), or, you could all meet at the baggage claim of the last arrival. The baggage claim areas are long and narrow; I don't think you'd have much trouble as long as you know the correct flight information. You won't be able to get anywhere near the gates after going through baggage claim.

BTW, don't confuse the CTA Blue Line (aka "El" or subway) with the airport's ATS trains. The ATS is just a people mover that connects the main terminals with the international terminal and parking lots.

The decision of cab versus the CTA Blue Line train depends on where you are going in the city. The train isn't convenient to North Michigan Avenue. If you are arriving between 7 and 9:30 a.m.,or 3-6 p.m., the CTA does save some time because the Kennedy Expressway resembles like a parking lot at those times.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:37 PM

I disagree with the poster who indicated the train would be a poor choice for North Michigan ave.

If you don't have a ton of baggage you can easily transfer to the Redline and get to North Michigan Ave at Chicago or Grand.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

OK, I think I'm getting closer to a plan. Is there a Starbucks or someplace to sit (for about half an hour to 45 minutes til the sibs arrive) at the El station at O'Hare? If we take the El into Chicago, will it be difficult to find a cab to take us to our hotel (the Amalfi) on West Kinzie Street? I'm not sure if I want to transfer to a bus with bags...

Thanks for helping with these questions!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:08 PM

There's no Starbuck's (or any other business) in the O'Hare El station. The entrance to the station is closest to the hallway that leads to Terminal 2 (Northwest/Continental/USAirways etc.) The best meeting spot might be the CTA transit card machines before you go through the automatic entry gates.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:15 PM

How about meeting at the coffee shop or lounge at the O'Hare Hilton? It is accessible through the same walkways that lead from the terminals to the El, and is fairly close to the El station. I believe there are signs in the baggage claim areas pointing to the Hilton and the El. It is not hard to find.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:16 PM

On A Thursday afternoon, you will have no problem getting a cab at the downtown el stops.

But if you are staying at the Amalfi at 20 W. Kinzie, you might transfer over to the Red line (O' Hare is on the blue line) and take it to Grand (Grand & State)which is about 3 blocks away from Kinzie.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 07:10 PM

If you do decide to take the Train into the city you will need to decide if you want to walk 4 blocks or take a cab.

The easiest walking route would probably to get off the Blue line at Clark and Walk two blocks north across the river, then a block and a half east on Kinzie.

A Cab shouldn't be hard to get but you may have to walk to Dearborn to catch one.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 04:28 AM

Getting off at Clark is a bit further of a walk but if your luggage is manageable (ie on wheels), it might be a quicker option than transferring to the red line and with that short of a distance it's almost silly to get a cab. Here's a map of the el lines in the downtown area

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/maps/F2004D.html
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I met one sister outide Terminal 2, and we both waited for our other sister at the Terminal 3 baggage claim before we headed to the El station. (I suggested the Hilton lounge meeting place, but there were no takers.) We passed a lot of traffic traveling into Chicago so we were glad we chose the El. We got off at Clark and immediately found a cab. Very smooth transfer from the airport to the hotel!