NYU & Columbia Neighborhoods?

Old May 29th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYU & Columbia Neighborhoods?

I will be visiting NYC for the first time in Aug. Am considering touring NYU/Columbia with my HS sophomore. Are the neighborhoods around the universities "family-safe" for walking around cluelessly? For that matter, do you have tips on ANY neighborhoods in Manhattan we should avoid? Thanks for your help.
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:27 PM

We did this last summer. It was the middle of July and broiling hot, so we didn't stroll the adjacent neighborhoods too much - but the area seemed safe during daylight hours. The University grounds are lovely.

The neighborhood directly adjacent is known as Morningside Heights. I always enjoy reading Toni Schlessinger's "Neighborhoods" columns in the Village Voice. The following was written in 2002, but it's still very enjoyable and informative.
http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/...,39335,15.html

Perhaps some of our NYC residents can provide more info. Good luck - have a great trip!
Old May 29th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Can't help with NYU, but the area around Columbia is safe..lots of students and others all over the place. Many nice places to eat on Broadway up there as well.

When will you be there? Summer session ends Aug 11 and the regular school year begins on Sept 7. It will be very dead on campus without any students.

Old May 29th, 2006, 04:38 PM

The areas around both universities are safe certainly during the day and evening. NYU is in the heart of the village with lots of restaurants, movie theatres, shopping and more.

You shouldn' have a problem finding your way around.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old May 29th, 2006, 04:55 PM

The area around Columbia is very diverse - even more so than NYU. You will find some public housing - and some million dollar plus co-ops. But there are masses of students, restaurants and clubs in both places - along with all the usual residential services.

Both are perfectly safe day or evening - I'm not sure I would walk either alone at 3 am - but that's true of almost anywhere.

When you visit Columbia be sure to stop in and see Saint John the Divine - magnificent.
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your input, especially the Village Voice link & the "heads up" about Columbia's schedule.