Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC with my 15 yo daughter - her first trip there

May 17th, 2019, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

I'm bringing my daughter (just turning 15) to NYC for her first trip there. She's staying for 4 weeks of ballet intensive.
We'll have 6/21-6/23 to stay in a hotel, explore and savor the food of New York before she starts her dance program. I come back to see her perform and spend 7/19-7/21 with her before we fly out. We're both foodies, love to shop and fashion, and exploring cool neighborhoods, farmer's markets, flea markets etc. She will see a Broadway show and a few ballets during her intensive. I know our time is limited.

What are some great places to eat, to explore and where should we stay? I haven't been in NYC since I was 20!
Also I'll have some time in NY by myself, so adult things... I love art, theater, museums, thrift stores, strong coffee and all kinds of food.

We live in Seattle.

Thank you for your suggestions.
May 17th, 2019, 01:44 PM

Stay in a hotel handy to a subway stop.
May 17th, 2019, 02:00 PM
J62

Do you need to stay near the dance studio (at the beginning) or doesn't it matter?

We visit the City from upstate about once a year and like to stay in the Chelsea/Flatiron areas. It's away from the crowds of Times Sq, and is a nice mix of commercial, retail/dining, and residential.

Handy to the Highline, lots of good restaurants, Saturday farmers market at Union Sq, and various thrift and consignment shops, as well as fitness activities of all types - yoga, spinning, barre, etc.
May 17th, 2019, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

We don't need to stay by the studio. We can stay wherever we like.
May 18th, 2019, 06:09 PM

In Manhattan except on the extreme East Side and West Side, you are always near a subway station.

You will find Manhattan is very easy to navigate between the trains, walking, and buses.

As for restaurants the worst values are in midtown and Times Square. The East Village has great variety and at reasonable prices, not as cheap as it once was. The West Village is a little more mature, while Chelsea has become extremely popular in the last 10 years with the Highline. There are scores of art galleries there.

The most unhip areas are the Financial District and the Upper East Side. Many consignment shops by young designers are on East 9th, 10, 11th Streets between Second Ave and Ave A.
May 19th, 2019, 05:24 PM

We did a long trip to New York and DC with the whole family. I enjoyed the day I spent with just one of my kids. Your weekends sound really fun.
  • Remember that Central Park is indeed outside, and go morning or evening if you're there in a heatwave.
  • Consider outside festivals.
  • Look at which museums are open late in the evening. Those can be fun with cafes open or live music.

Hotels. I obsessed about them as they can be expensive in New York. New Yorkers on this board were very helpful, especially with picking hotels. Should be easier for just 2 people. Spend some time on booking.com and play with the filters. If you can't afford the prices, ask here. Or check Tripadvisor. Or look at Hotwire.com or Priceline.com . There's a site called Betterbidding.com that explains how to bid on those sites. But again, I think you'll find one.
May 19th, 2019, 06:37 PM

travelzoo often has specials for Manhattan hotels in the summer.

Right now they have a good one for the Stewart on 7th Ave @ W 32nd. Worth checking for other offers.