NYC with family of 6

Search

NYC with family of 6

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC with family of 6

Hello. We are planning a trip to NYC this March w/4 teens ages 13 to 16. Any suggestions regarding a place to stay w/a family this size? Also, is staying in New Jersey at the Residence Inn a good idea or would that cost a lot in transportation fees and time back and forth?
Thanks.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:54 AM

When my husband our then 17 year old daughter and our 17 year old Brazilian exchange student went to New York in June, 2004 we stayed at a Bed and Breakfast on Staten Island and then walked about half a mile and caught the Staten Island Ferry every day. The Staten Island Ferry is free and very scenic as it passes right by the Statue of Liberty. They were even filming an episode of Law and Order one night that we were on it. From the bed and breakfast we could see the Manhatten skyline. Staten Island also has some nice restaurants and an ice cream place to die for. Of course all of this might not be what you have in mind. But I believe we got a little kitchen, one bedroom, a living room with a queen sleeper and a bathroom with a washer-dryer. I think it was only around 70$ per night (I think.) It was a victorian house. For other trips, like just a girl's trip last summer I just used a Days Inn in the Queen's Area to be close by my niece. Hope I have helped.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Staying in Jersey is not a great idea - yes there would be significant time wastered - and costs - for 6 people to trek back and forth.

For something moderate I would check the Affinia group of all suite hotels - not sure if how many suites will have enough room for 6 people - but perhaps you can get a 1-bedrom plus a studio.

Normally I would reco Priceline - but you would need to bid on 3 rooms (they don;t guarantee rooms for more than 2 people) but you might want to check betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com to see what hotels people are getting for what price.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Stay in Manhattan if at all possible. Midtown is the best area for visitors, close to everything. You may be able to negotiate a multi-room deal with a hotel -- try the Bentley on E. 62nd Street (close to midtown).

Good luck!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:06 PM

I agree that it's preferable to stay in Manhattan if possible. Try calling the Murray Hill East Suties hotel, they used to be apartments and have full kitchens and all the other amenities of home.

Staying in Jersey might not be too bad IF you can find a place close to a PATH subway station; this is NJ's subway system, it costs $1.50 per ride (vs $2.00 for NYC's system) and goes as far north as Penn Station (34th st). Some of the hotels in Seacaucus have a shuttle bus into Midtown, too, IIRC.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 01:25 PM

The biggest downside to not staying in Manhattan is evenings. If you want to change for a nicer dinner or just have an afternoon rest, or go to the theater and not be in daytime clothes, it means 2 roundtrips a day for everyone.

I agree if you're going to do it, the best option is near a PATH train. Not sure where the Residence inn is you're talking about. There's a Hyatt in Jersey City that gets great reviews that's not only near the PATH, but also near a ferry that runs M-F.

For staying in Manhattan, some hotels that have suites that might work for you are the Salisbury (nycsalisbury.com), Radio City apartments (radiocityapartments.com), the Buckingham, the Best Western Hospitality, the Beacon and the Milburn. Affinia.com is a great group of all suite hotels, but they're not always inexpensive. Murray Hill East Suites is a good idea. Make sure you check reviews on tripadvisor.com. You might also check with nyhabitat.com for a regular apartment.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:36 PM

If you are going to be on the go all day, and retiring at night, staying in NJ at a place with a shuttle bus to the City is not unreasonable. I am always trying to talk by visitors into that, but only was successful one time. Fairfield Inn near the Meadowlands often has rooms (with 2 double beds) for under $100. I don't remember where the REsidence Inn is. Even if you drove into the city and parked at the Bus terminal (about $25 a day), it is only 20 minutes drive if you aren't in rush hour. You can go to a lot of nice restaurants and shows with the money saved on hotel bills. Another option would be to stay in NJ on the river and take the water taxi to Manhattan. You could have a view of the city skyline. And visiting the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island is infinitely easier from Liberty Park, NJ. Liberty Science Museum is a FUN place for teens and is nearby. Another option would be to help teens realize that travel can be cheap and get a family room at the youth hostel in NYC. But I'd prefer the Residence Inn for the fridge/TV/spread out factor. On a night when you want to stay in the city late, drive in and park at the Bus terminal, which is close to the theatre district. I think that makes sense! But then, I like to save $$.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:22 AM

The Liberty Science Center is closed for renovations.