Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC...with a 10 month old (YIKES!) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-with-a-10-month-old-yikes-465957/)

bamakelly Aug 9th, 2004 07:20 PM

NYC...with a 10 month old (YIKES!)

I will be in NYC for 3 nights in November with my mom and my 10 month old. (I know, I must be nuts.) Any suggestions? My mom has never been, and I want to make her experience as much fun as possible without totally boring my son to death. I plan on providing plenty of rest time, so I have to pick our activities wisely. Also, any suggestions for how we might get to see a show while we are there? (Babysitting services, policy for children at the theatre?)

Cicerone Aug 10th, 2004 03:49 AM

You won't be permitted to take an infant into a Broadway theatre, the cut off is 3 years old I believe. (There was a post on this some months ago.) I am fairly sure you will find the same with all live theatre or concerts in New York. Whether you would trust a stranger to baby sit your child is up to you. November can be absolutely freezing/snowing or warm and beautiful, it will be up to luck, so be prepared for any eventuality. I would concentrate on museums and inside activities unless the weather is warm. A place like the Metropolitan Museum of Art has miles of exhibits and is stroller-friendly. New York has a lot to offer, so you and your Mom would first need to decide if you want to shop, see museums, etc. I think you may have to resign yourselves to doing some activities, like shopping, on your own rather than together.

Is there anyone someone at home can babysit and you and your Mom can do this trip together? The baby will never remember it, and I think a child that small will be more of a hindrance than a joy in a place like Manhattan.

BudgetQueen Aug 10th, 2004 03:56 AM

Is there anyone someone at home can babysit and you and your Mom can do this trip together? The baby will never remember it, and I think a child that small will be more of a hindrance than a joy in a place like Manhattan

I agree and no you won't be allowed in any Broadway theater. You also need to be concerned about getting around- subways are full of stairs, cabs don't usually have car seats and with a stroller- your child is on the "dirt" level. I too would see if there is a way for either bringing a sitter with you or arranging one at home??

Anonymous Aug 10th, 2004 04:04 AM

If you can manage it, use a backpack for transporting the baby, rather than using a stroller. This would be better for him, for your ability to maneuver, and for the other pedestrians as well.

Ten months is a tricky age to generalize about -- some kids are mobile at this age while others aren't and are more content to just watch things go by.

Your group are good candidates for the bus tours given by Gray Line -- you can see a lot without much effort. Just be aware that the quality of the tour guides can vary a LOT, and that on busy days you should just stay on for the tour, as you might not find it easy to "hop on" later.

keysmom Aug 10th, 2004 04:13 AM

I took my infant to NY at about the same age. We used a stroller every where. I took a very light umbrella stoller so it was easy to get into cabs, up stairs, etc. I found that NY-ers reacted in a very friendly way around the baby, going out of their way to hold doors open, for example. I was in a liquour store in a very touristy area buying a hostess gift. My stoller wheel was squeaking - the store owner stopped what he was doing, went to the back of the store and returned with some oil so the baby wouldn't have to hear the squeak! I think the Met is a good idea. Columbia University has a babysitting registry for their students. I don't know if they will go to a hotel room but it is worth a call.

nytraveler Aug 10th, 2004 05:48 AM

If you do bring a stroller make sure it is a very light one - the bigger ones are hell getting up and down subway steps - and there's really no room on buses most of the time. I would also suggest a backpack of some kind - even if in addition to the stroller - snow or even heavy rain is not fun for either of you with a stroller.

Also, don;t know where you're staying but I would recommend not in Times Square - there is way too much foot traffic. If you stay in one of the more residential neighborhoods the sidewalks will be more stroller friendly - and there will be a bunch of local family-riendly restaurants available. A lot of people seem to like the Lucerne on the UWS - hand for man of the museums - and the park if the weather holds. You may want to see if the kids section of the Central Park Zoo is still open then.

bamakelly Aug 10th, 2004 12:27 PM

Thanks, everyone for the great suggestions. I didn't figure I'd be lucky enough to find an age-appropriate broadway show, but no harm in asking! The backpack idea is especially helpful, and we are definitely leaving the heavy stroller at home! We have to take the baby with us, but we might consider taking a sitter as well...good tip. Thanks again, and if you think of any more great tips, activities, etc, let me know!

HowardR Aug 10th, 2004 02:15 PM

You hoped to find an age-appropriate show for a 10-month-old child? You were kidding, right?

Marilyn Aug 10th, 2004 03:42 PM

The Teletubbies Hit Broadway!

mp Aug 10th, 2004 07:01 PM

Actually Howard, you're forgetting about the New Victory Theatre, which is a Broadway theatre and does allow infants (with purchased tix)

Of course, the shows are geared for children, but in the 6(?) years I've been going I've seen three shows that have rivalled anything I've ever seen on Broadway or off (and bested shows in the West End too!)

islandmom Aug 10th, 2004 07:59 PM

We took our daughter at this age and had a blast. I still love looking at her photos in front of the plaza and the pier etc. Even if they don't remember it, it is good for their minds. Take your child to all museums or other activities and talk about what you see. We used a bjorn for the best results.

HowardR Aug 11th, 2004 04:53 AM

mp, I have not forgotten about the Victory Theater, but she's talking about a 10-month-old child going the theater!!! I don't care what the show is....A 10-month-older is too young for the experience!

Ryan Aug 11th, 2004 05:09 AM

Taking a 10 month old to the theater is fairly impractical.

In terms of babysitting services, you might check with your hotel. We've used hotel sitters many times both here and abroad without ever having any sort of problem. The Concierge at you hotel should have a list of approved sitters and can arrange it for you.

The cost will likely run between $15 and $20 an hour.