Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC with 2 12 Year Old Girls...Suggestions on What to Do.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

We will be in NYC end of June and basically arriving Saturday around 12 and staying until probably Sunday 2.

Looking for things to do with our girls. I guess I could describe them as being your typical 12 year old girls that want to see things in NYC of excitement. Does that help?

We took them 4 years ago and did the American Girl Store/Theater, Central Park - Balto Statue since they learned of him in school, skated Rockerfeller Center, went into Trump Tower and walked along 5th Avenue and ate at John's Pizza.

Looking for maybe the top attractions that you would recommend that would excite the girls about seeing. I will present them to them and let we shall decide what we shall do with our time.

Also, a very good bagel shop near Times Square as we will be staying at the Travel Inn (515 West 42nd Street/10th Avenue) is much appreciated. The girls had their share of NY bagels last visit. Looking for some recommendations on shops that make them on the spot versus having them delivered each morning.

P.S. We are going to see Wicked in Boston in October, so we are all set there!

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 01:49 PM

You might also ask your twelve year old girls to do some hunting on the internet and present some of their options to you.

You description doesn't really help. What are they interested in that they can't do back home.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 04:22 PM

I grew up near NYC. Perhaps I was an odd child, but I loved the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM

Take them to Ellen's Stardust Diner (corner 51st and Bdwy--2 doors up from Mama Mia)for any meal. The very talented waitstaff take turns singing (esp showtunes) as they go all around the restaurant. The food's typical diner fare but the continuous show is great fun for all.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:05 PM

12 year olds can vary tremendously - some have very serious interests (i have a niece really into ballet or any kind of dance) and some are still almost children.

I would definitely have them look at some guide books to figure out what they want to see/do. Would definitely do:

Top of the Rock
a great show - for them possibly In the Heights
The Met - have a look at the web site for which departments (I have loved it since I was about 7)
Definitely do one boat trip - even if only the free Staten Island ferry - which hs great views of the SoL and the Manhattan skyline on the way back
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:51 PM

The highlight for my 12 year old was Trapeze School New York. All four of us (mom, dad, 12 year old daughter and 9 year old son) took the basic "fly" class. We went to the outdoor location at West/Houston. I was terrible at it but it was great fun. If either play tennis a trip out to Flushing Meadows/Corona Park is neat. It's a long subway ride (which the kids love) and a beautiful park. The kids had two favorite eateries: Max Brenner Chocolate by the Bald Man (an all-chocolate restaurant) and Burgers & Cupcakes.
Have fun!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:19 PM

My TOTAL restaurant recommendation for 12-year-old girls would be Alice's Tea Cup! http://alicesteacup.com/
I think it's the right age where embracing some of the history of the city would be genuinely fun. Check out one of the Circle Line cruises out to Liberty Island and Ellis Island, planning to tour one or the other (since your time is limited). The boat ride is beautiful and exciting, and the history will be fun (particularly if the girls are/were into American Girl, as I was - history come to life!). Number one recommendation, though - wear sunscreen for the boat trip! And bring hats! When I was twelve I hated few things more than wearing a hat, but the sunburnt face in the pictures from seeing the show that night are also there forever...
Also, do the girls have any favorite movies set in NYC? The Bethesda Fountain in Central Park is where "That's How You Know" in performed in "Enchanted."
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:21 PM

Ooo, another thought... Radio City's Stage Door is thorough and fascinating, totally worth the price, AND you get to meet a Rockette! http://www.radiocity.com/tours/stage-door-tour.html I bet the girls would love it.