Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC - Which airport, JFK or LGA? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-which-airport-jfk-or-lga-326926/)

mlm59 Jun 12th, 2003 05:03 PM

NYC - Which airport, JFK or LGA?

We will be staying in NYC at 142 W. 49th. Had planned to fly into LGA, but price may be better to fly into JFK. Is transportation to our location a reasonable distance? Is public transportation available? Would it be better to arrange for another method of transporation as there are 7 people in our group? If so, what is the best way to arrange for a group?

Tansy Jun 12th, 2003 05:06 PM

I can't speak to the transportation issue, but I must voice my opinion -- if at all possible, fly into LaGuardia! JFK is such a nightmare. After many years of living in NY and flying from the west coast to the east coast, I quickly learned my lesson and never flew into JFK. Last fall, I found a cheap fare into JFK and thought "hey, why not, it can't be as bad as I remember . . . "
It was. OH BOY, was it ever. I will never do that again!

karebear4567 Jun 12th, 2003 05:13 PM

I like LGA more, and also the taxi is cheaper to LGA. THe taxi might end up being $15 more per taxi with JFK, however if you are saving a lot of money on the flights, then i think it would be worth it to go with JFK.

Owen_ONeill Jun 12th, 2003 05:31 PM

LGA - hands down. It had a reputation for one of the worst ontime records of any major US airport prior to 9/11 but since then flight volume has been reduced and they've done really well. I've flown from there five or six times in the past year or so and it's been a good experience on all occasions.

Owen_ONeill Jun 12th, 2003 05:34 PM

NYC cabs are now required to allow four peopl eto ride in them (so I heard on the radio the other day but not all cabbies will allow a rider in the front seat. There are occasionally some min-van cabs at LGA but they're hit or miss. if you all have a suitcase or two it might make more sense to arrange a car service in advance with a firm who can provide a van. Public transport is a pain in the neck from LGA and JFK - there is an airport shuttle bus but it's $10-$12 per person - you could get car service for less.

puddy Jun 12th, 2003 06:37 PM

Also consider Newark Airport (EWR). There is the AirTrain that takes you to Penn Station for $11.25 each way. Takes about 25 minutes, plus whatever time it takes to wait for the next monorail.

From LGA, I believe a cab would be about $30 plus a little extra if you have bags. Since there are 7 in your party, it may be worth looking into getting a stretch limo.

McCabe Jun 12th, 2003 08:15 PM

If flying into JFK is signifcantly cheaper than LaGuardia, I would go with JFK. i flew into and out of JFK during Christmas vacation and did not have any problems. My Mom also flew to and from JFK last April and everything wnet fine. Definitely look into Newark also.

http://panynj.com/aviation.html

SydneyLA Jun 12th, 2003 09:56 PM

Most times JFK is significantly cheaper to fly into so I would recommend that airport (especially if you add up the savings among the 7 people in the group). You could get 2 taxis (I believe it's a $30 or $35 flat fee per taxi which would be split by everyone). The A train does come close to JFK and there is a free shuttle that will take you there, but it is a long trip into Manhattan.

Taxis will be cheaper from LGA, and public transit a bit easier. Check the NYC MTA website -- you can either take the M60 bus directly from LGA across 125 street with a connection to many subway lines, or other city buses that will take you to a subway stop in Queens. The ideal subway line for you would most likely be the N/R to 49 Street.

methinks Jun 12th, 2003 10:24 PM

It only makes sense to fly into JFK, if:
1) the price difference is substantial
or
2) the JFK flight avoids arrival during rush hour or one hour before rush hour AND the LaGuardia flight arrives during these times. (rush hour = 6:30am to 10am weekdays the evening rush can also be a pain, but most of the traffic is going the opposite direction, or after 5pm on a sunday night in the summer)

Consider arranging for car service to pick you up at the airport, either search for car service in NYC in yahoo or one of them has the following phone number (212) 666-6666 ( I'm pretty sure that's Carmel car service - they're ok, I've used them before)