Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Weather end of April (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-weather-end-of-april-778402/)

beba Apr 11th, 2009 10:59 AM

NYC Weather end of April

Thinking of making a quick trip down to NYC in a few weeks for a few days and wondering if the weather is typically warmer or is it still rainy and cold then? I just feel the need to get away , and instead of going to Cuba or Mexico decided to maybe go and see some plays and check out Central Park instead. I have been there twice in the last 2 years but both times in November so wanted to see it in warmer weather and hopefully some leaves on the trees. Will people be out in the Park then or is it still too chilly? I was hoping to see it before it gets too hot, but maybe this is too early ? Hopefully the New York fodorites will be able to help me with this. The weather charts only tell so much.

The hotels seems to have sales on right now until the end of April so it would be nice to capitalize on those . I stayed at the Edison the last time (in midtown by Times Square) and really loved the location as it was close to the theaters and the subway. Are there any other hotels in that same area that are in the moderate price range and might be a good choice too?

Thanks so much to anyone who responds. I really learn so much from all the answers that the regulars give as they have so much knowledge to share with us all.

ellenem Apr 11th, 2009 11:03 AM

The leaves are starting to come in now. The daffodils and pear trees are already in bloom. You might find chilly nights. Du7ring the day, it will still be time for a light jacket or sweater. People are lawways out in the park.

beba Apr 11th, 2009 11:39 AM

A light jacket or sweater is great..not too hot and not too cold. In the park will the vendors be out then, or will people be eating lunches on the benches, etc (I see them do this on Sex and the City so wondered if that is only a summer thing or do they do it as soon as the weather starts to warm up)

mclaurie Apr 11th, 2009 11:52 AM

wunderground.com has a trip planner that lets you put in any location and dates and they'll give you historic temps for that time. Right now it's pouring pickles and chilly...but you know the saying, 'April showers bring May flowers.' Whatever it is, it will likely be warmer than Nov. There's lots of good theater on right now too.

Anonymous Apr 11th, 2009 12:01 PM

I have never watched Sex and the City, but I have seen people eating their lunches on park benches in Central Park in any time of year.

Normal night-time lows for late April are in the mid-40s and the record lows are in the 30s; if you plan to be out late at night (shows, etc.) bring something more than a sweater, unless you're an Eskimo.

beba Apr 11th, 2009 12:28 PM

Well, I am definitely not an Eskimo (not that that is a bad thing) but from where I am it would be a good thing to be! We are expecting snow tonight, about 25 cms so I am bummed out about that. So anything that is not snow would be welcome right now.

mclaurie, you are right about the good theater on now for sure! I will only be in NY 3 nights, 4 at the most, so am planning on 3 shows . I saw Jersey Boys in November ,and loved it so much I wish I could see it again, but there are others that I need to see too. Right now I am thinking of the Angela Lansbury Blythe Spirit, In the Heights, and South Pacific. Any others that you have heard great things about? I would be willing to switch one, maybe In the Heights, if another seemed more compelling.

nytraveler Apr 11th, 2009 04:40 PM

The trees are only in bud now - should be mostly in leaf by the end of the month. Agree that Central Park is always busy - unless it's the middle of a blizzard. At that time I would have a light jacket and also a sweater for nigh. (Tonight it's going to be in the high 30's but it's been in the high 50's during the day.)

beba Apr 12th, 2009 06:32 AM

It's snowing where I am now, so high 50's sounds pretty darn good! Thanks to all who replied , I appreciate the help.

A quick question..when does it typically start getting really 'hot' (weather wise) in NY?

nytraveler Apr 12th, 2009 06:47 AM

Spring weather can be unpredictable. And I'm not sure what you mean by "hot". We've had day around 70 in Feb (but very rare). Generally by June it's warm on a regular basis - but you can get hot days (80's) in early May - but rarely a lot in a row. If you mean really hot - as in 90+ for days in a row you're talking July, August or early Sept.