Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Water Taxi & Brooklyn Bridge Queestion (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-water-taxi-and-brooklyn-bridge-queestion-466192/)

Margie Aug 10th, 2004 05:19 PM

NYC Water Taxi & Brooklyn Bridge Queestion

Thinking of taking our small group for a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge this Saturday. If we are at the South Street Seaport and would like to take the water taxi to Brooklyn and walk back across the bridge (I'd walk both ways but we will have 2 kids with us) where do we pick up that water taxi and where will it drop us off in relation to the bridge? Of course we will NEED an ice cream from the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory before trekking back to Manhattan - where is the ice cream shop? Thanks in advance!

Margie Aug 10th, 2004 05:21 PM

hmm, obviously I have question, not a Queestion! - Sorry about the typo!

suzanne Aug 10th, 2004 06:01 PM

Margie-
The Water Taxi will pick you up on Pier 11, a couple blocks south of the Seaport. You can't miss it, however, make sure you get on the correct boat. You want the yellow one going to Fulton Ferry Landing (just ask the guy at the gate) otherwise you may end up in Jersey. It's good to have a schedule because they run only once or twice an hour. Print it out from the nywatertaxi.com site.

The ride across the river is literally 2 or 3 minutes. You'll be dropped off right in front of the ice cream factory. Walk straight up the hill (Old Fulton Street) alongside the bridge for about 3 blocks, going under a couple overpasses, then take the left fork (Plymouth St) going under the bridge. Then take an immediate right on Washington St. and you'll see the stairs on the right leading up to the bridge footpath.

Let me know if you have any other questions...I live right by the bridge.

Margie Aug 10th, 2004 06:09 PM

Suzanne, thank you very much - this is exactly the information I needed, and I appreciate you being specific. I checked the website you provided and I'll print the schedule and bring it with us. Thanks for the tip about making sure I was on the correct boat, I can just see myself leading our little group right into New Jersey! Could you tell me how to get to Jacques Torres' chocolate shop?

suzanne Aug 11th, 2004 10:07 AM

Go past the ice cream shop to the street, and take a left onto Water Street, passing by the River Cafe and going under the bridge. You'll see some old brick warehouses along the way. Jacques Torres is about 2 blocks down on the right. My building is the Clocktower, straight ahead...wave to me on the 6th floor! ;)

Jacques Torres are my favorite chocolates. You can buy them by the piece (85 cents?) or pick out an assortment which they will box for you. I don't think I'd get a whole box if I were you; I had friends who bought some and walked over the bridge on a hot July day only to find a melty mess when they opened them. It's open until 7 every night but Sunday, when it's closed.

Gekko Aug 11th, 2004 04:48 PM

www.nywatertaxi.com

Take the taxi across the river from just south of the Seaport area. Enjoy lunch at Grimaldi's (cash only). Then walk back to Manhattan across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Enjoy!

Margie Aug 13th, 2004 03:41 AM

Thanks for the great advice! I added the directions/schedules etc. to my notes and I'm sure the afternoon will be great. Suzanne, your building sounds really cool, you must have a wonderful view! Also, in a heroic effort to save the chocolate, I will consume it before walking over the bridge - lol.