NYC visitors - last chance for FAO Schwartz

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those visiting for the holidays, this might be your last chance to visit FAO Schwartz as they have been Chap. 11 and begining liquidation, 10-20% off at the 5th Ave. store. Will operate through the holidays on a "All sales final" basis. Probably last chance to see this NY "institution".
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 10:54 AM

And a damn shame it is!!!
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 10:54 AM

Sad day indeed.

Oddly enough, I was discussing this yesterday with a friend who was the costumer for the Broadway production "BIG", based on the Tom Hanks movie. Did you know that it was funded and produced by FAOSchwartz? She claims that was one of the main events leading to the eventual downfall of the company. That show lost millions!!! Isn't it amazing what a role Broadway can play?
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 11:07 AM

Does anyone know if the FAO in Chicago is closing too? I assume that if the whole company is going Chap 11, then all stores will close but I was wondering if anyone had any details?
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Everything will be closing. "All but a few" are reducing prices on inventory immediately for quick liquidation. Haven't seen a list of which "few" or what will happen at those few, maybe sales are robust enough to allow regular sales until closing. More info might be available on Dec. 15th as that's the official deadline for them to produce a buyer though it appears as they have given up the search already.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 11:12 AM

The store in Dallas closed a while back...
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 12:13 PM
CalgirlSusan

I think one of my earliest memories as a little girl was being taken into FAO Schwartz at the age of 5 or 6 and being told I could pick out one item I wanted. It took me a very long time to decide, and to this day I can't remember what it was I picked, but I think it was a doll. Still, I remember the excitement of that store. What a pity.

Old Dec 8th, 2003, 07:34 PM

Will people ever learn that the correct spelling is SCHWARZ...no 'T' ???

Maybe now that this very lovely, very costly toy emporium is closing, the public will learn how to spell its name. I once heard a tourist, on a Fifth Ave. bus, refer to the store as FAO...not initials...FAO rhymes with MAO. I almost laughed out loud, but bit my tongue instead.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:22 AM

Don't give up.

Although the company is filing for bankruptcy, the name "FAO Schwarz" is considered an asset. You can be sure that the name will be sold to someone else. The WSJ reported that the founder's family has to approve any name trasnfer to insure the quality remains the same.

I would expect that a different corporate entity will run the flagship NYC store. As for the suburban stores, they may be closed for good.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 07:05 AM
dln

I'm so sorry about this! When I was a little girl, my parents used to take us into the city and we'd watch the St. Patrick's Day parade from the fourth or fifth floor windows of FAO Schwarz. We always thought we had the best views in the house! Afterwards we'd spend time looking at all the wonderful toys. In later life, my first born's first teddy bear was a Steiff bear from--where else?--FAO Schwarz.

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Topping to see if anyone has any info on the Chicago store...
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:37 AM

The "Sun-Times" noted on the 6th that the only Chicago area store (in Carson Pirie Scott on State St.) is still open. The drop-dead date to find a buyer for the FAO Schwarz brand is 12/15-- if no buyer is found, they will have to liquidate it, meaning that all stores will close.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Yikes. There is no FAO in my state. I always meant to take my six year old to the one on State street in Chicago. When I mentioned that it was closing, he cried. If they find a buyer, I'll have to get my act together and get him to Chicago. Thanks for the info.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:23 PM
tjd

I believe there is a small FAO store in Carson's, but the big one on Michigan Avenue (across from the Water Tower) closed earlier this year
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Wow TJD - I realize that this one the one I was thinking of - the big one. So it already closed. Well this is clearly going to cost me the Mommy of the Year award again this year. Drat.