Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC visit - or...maybe not! What's our Plan B?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In July, we bought on-sale, r/t, non-returnable air tix for a fall NYC visit. Spouse always enjoys visiting the land of his youth. Just kind of 'grabbed a date,' without giving it much thought.

Now, come to discover that the last nite of our stay (which runs 10/31-11/5) is the day before the Marathon. And I've been unable to succeed with Priceline all the way up to $200 (and plugging in separate 2-3 nite requests).

We're not really willing to pay much more than $200/nite (esp after factoring in room taxes, fees, etc), so are beginning to think we might try for just one $$$ night in Manhattan (long enough to see a show and hit the Folk Art Museum) and then hop in a car and journey forth..........to where?

Have done Hudson River valley drives twice before. So that's pretty much off the table. What would you do? Bucks County? Head out Long Island to Montauk? (I realize that time of year things will be pretty closed up, but always had a curiosity about Montauk)What's on Shelter Island? (This looked kind of interesting: http://www.shelterislandinns.com/ )
What about Connecticut for some antiquing?
Or..........?

Would like to hear some hit-the-road thoughts from the Fodors folk.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Did you check quickbook and hotels.com for a bit furthur out hotel or a not perfect neighborhood in NYC?

Good luck,
Steve R
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:04 AM

I would do Bucks County over Montauk. It is a great place and a whole lot of fun.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:30 AM
GoTravel

Someone got the Club Quarters downtown Marathon weekend on priceline for $165 per night.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Litchfield County Connecticut is within 2 hours of NYC, very pretty and there is a lot of antiquing. Woodbury is the antiquing capital (and there are some B&Bs to stay at). Other pretty towns with nice downtowns for shopping, etc. include Washington, Litchfield, Kent, Cornwall.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:08 AM

We did a lovely getaway to the Berkshires and stayed at the Birchwood Inn (B&B). I think the drive from Manhattan is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I think that might be the tail-end of leaf-peeping, but I'm certainly no expert in that realm.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Montauk will be quiet at that time of year but if you've always wanted to see it, go. Maybe consider staying in the Hamptons where there's a bit more activity. Prices will be much gentler than in high season and you can take day trips to Montauk and Shelter Island. The North Fork vineyards are also nice and could be added to a visit to Shelter Island. Shelter Island will be very quiet at that time.

The nicest inn in the Hamptons, according to reviews on tripadvisor, is A Butler's Manor. Don't know that it will fit your budget, but worth a shot, esp. if it's not a weekend. There are plenty of other options including the 1770 House and the Maidstone Arms in East Hampton.

Buck's County or Ct. are also nice that time of year if you're into antiquing.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input/replies! Will definitely start looking into the out-of-town suggestions that have been offered.

Have stayed in Club Quarters in other locations (and read the NYC reviews), and their stock-in-trade seems to be the teensiest rooms imaginable (far smaller than the European rooms that so many folks quibble about). That makes CQ something we're not interested in - and in fact, I've been avoiding bidding that star level/area for that reason.

Keep ideas coming, please!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:18 PM

we were in manhattan over marathon weekend last fall and it was great!! but we, too, could only afford ~ $200/night. i would suggest vrbo.com or craigslist.

we ended up at www.staythenight.com for $165/night UES on 93rd between 5th and Madison Avenues half a block from the park. RIGHT by the guggenheim. a stone's throw from the park (literally). i mean, the location really couldn't be beat. old beautiful brownstone walk up.

however, it took 4 hours to be let into our room, so we had to store our luggage in the unsecured hallway of the place while we went walking. then on the last night and last day of our 4 night/ 5 day stay, we had ZERO hot water in the room. ice cold. couldn't even get under it. the management there sucks, but it WAS a gorgeous room/ building and OUTSTANDING location. it could be hit or miss. if you're flexible and young at heart and don't get too prissy about things, this might be a place to consider.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I WISH "flexible and young-at-heart" still applied! But we'll take a look, nonetheless.

Have come across a Brooklyn Hol Inn Express possibility and posted a separate thread to try to learn more about the neighborhood, amenities, transportation, etc..
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:52 PM

I agree try www.hotels.com for more suggestions and you will see exactly what hotels still have rooms available for that weekend.

Also check the Grand Union hotel on E32nd the website is www.hotelgrandunion.com

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Dan

I've had some luck with Priceline recently by waiting until 2-3 days before arrival. In Chicago, I bid unsuccessfully up to $170 for a 4* hotel and then ended up getting it for $90 by bidding again much closer to arrival.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 03:15 AM

I didn't offer other suggestions for NYC, but there are lots of smaller b & bs, inns etc. that might work if they're available.

jacksbandb.com

http://sohobandb.homestead.com/sohobandb.html

I know the first place is clean and ok. I know the location of the second is good (in Soho) but don't know anyone who's stayed there.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Try www.hotwire.com, www.kayak.com, www.jetaway.com, www.eleisurelink.com, www.travelzoo.com.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:31 PM

I wouldn't go to Montauk that time of year. Philly might be a good alternative. Also, if you can't find a room in Manhattan, you might try the Brooklyn Marriott or someplace in Jersey City.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 08:46 PM

I lived in Philly and surrounds for 11 years, off and on, thru college and beyond, and I agree that it is a great place to go -- amazing history, great restaurants, good shopping (and no sales tax on clothes!). I, unfortunately, haven't been there for years, having forsaken the land of my youth for the mountains of California, but I still love Philly@
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 06:11 AM
GoTravel

tucker, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

I've stayed at that Club Quarters Downtown TWICE and love the hotel.

Manhattan in general has small hotel rooms.

You obviously don't want to stay in Manhattan that bad.

Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 10:41 AM

Lovely time of year to visit Bucks County, PA. Drive along the river, stay in one of the lovely little inns along the way, wander around Peddlers Village, explore New Hope, enjoy the great restaurants in the area. Lots of fun things to do!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 11:45 AM

There's a brand new Holiday Inn Express in Park Slope...which, yes is in Brooklyn. But I think their going rate is 170ish. It might be worth looking into. It's a lovely neighborhood, and only a 15 minute subway ride into Manhattan - they may even run a shuttle or something, I have no idea.

Also, the time of year you're coming might be a great time to hit the wineries on the North Fork. It's a nice drive once you get out of Nassau County, and there's lots of cute B&Bs along there.

Good luck!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM

If you like wine at all there are some great wineries on the North Fork of Long Island and lots of reasonanle B & Bs. Also good restaurants, antiquing and the like. Probably a little over 2 hours from NY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -