NYC - Upper East Side - Mother's Day Lunch

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC - Upper East Side - Mother's Day Lunch

I'll be around 65th and 5th Avenue that day (actually, walking all over uptown likely but that is the centerpoint. I realize that Mother's Day will be a tourist mess (I'm from NJ) - but we'll be there for the day and I want to take my Mom to someplace special that day. Not special where it's the 'best burger in town' or to the other extreme the 'MOST' expensive - but I would be willing to go on the high side. We're going for lunch btw, not dinner based on schedules. Someplace not touristy ideally - and I realize everyplace will be crowded, but any ideas to make the day special would be really appreciated. Last year I went to see The Producers and someone recommended Madeline's (just outside the theater district - by 9th Ave.) and it was wonderful, as were all of the suggestions. So I appreciate and respect the feedback on this site. Thanks!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:14 AM

Cafe Sabarsky at the Neue Gallery on 86th and 5th Ave.

http://www.wallserestaurant.com/
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:42 AM

I haven't been to this place yet, but this is where I'd go I think. It's getting excellent reviews on menupages.
http://www.bistrochatnoir.com/brunch.htm

Also in that neighborhood
>Park Avenue Bistro-very good food but I haven't had brunch there in a while

>Davidburke & Donatella--also good food, but some iffy reviews about brunch on menupages.

Not quite as close to the location you mention

Orsay
http://www.orsayrestaurant.com/brunch.php

Brasserie 8 1/2 does a buffet brunch that's very good (west 57 st. just west of 5th ave.)
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:57 AM

Unless there's something in the OP's post that I completely missed, I don't believe that brunch was what they were looking for.

In any case, we were just at Park Avenue Cafe for dinner last week - a group dinner that was set up by one of the group member. If one was taking advantage of the Pay-Your-Age deal, then I would concur with the recommendaton for a lunch (if the deal is available). But, if one is paying full price, then I have to admit that it is not worth it.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:13 AM

On Mother's Day a lot of restaurants have specials - sometimes mandatory. If you check with opentable.com you will see a list of those with prix fixe menus or specials.

Also - some places serve only brunch on a Sunday - not lunch.

Besides Park AVeneu Bisro & David/Donatella you might consider Bistro 61 - if you're willing to go further east.

But do check web sites to see who has lunch on Sunday - esp Mother's Day.

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:17 AM

"I don't believe that brunch was what they were looking for."

Lunch is what they're looking for and you know damn well these places serve both breakfast and lunch entrees. What's your problem? The OP said 65th st. not 86th st. and I didn't chastise you.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:28 AM
mp

oooh Mother's day dining out in Manhattan - usually something to avoid if at all possible - but sometimes it's not possible. along with mclaurie's excellent suggetions I would add Jovia, on 62nd between Park and Lex. Very pretty and good food. It's also on open table, so you can reserve online. it doesn't look like they're doing any special MD brunch thing, but you might want to call the restaurant directly.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

I'm drooling over those menu's, I checked out every one! Thank you all so much. I don't get into the City as often as I'd like so I really rely on you good folks and your insight. Thank you - honestly, they all looked good. I'll keep you posted and any other thoughts/tips (like opentable.com - that is a good one) are appreciated.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:50 AM

Atlantic Grill on Third Avenue ... definitely make a reservation
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:28 PM

maclaurie,

<<<<<<<<<<<<<
What's your problem? The OP said 65th st. not 86th st. and I didn't chastise you.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There's no problem, except possibly deep in your head.

I was only reiterating that the OP is looking for LUNCH in the Upper East Side. Yes, the UPPER EAST SIDE, as per the OP's message title, and not just on 65th and 5th, which is the centerpoint of the restaurant search. Now, how difficult was that for you to understand?

So far, the only ones that you can come up with are those that were reviewed BY OTHERS whom you do no know of in another website. One quick question here: have you ever been to any of the restaurants that you recommend here?
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:38 PM

I mentioned ONE place I hadn't been to. Period end of story.
Old May 6th, 2007, 01:16 PM

hey mclaurie....my husband and I had brunch at bistrochatnoir and it was fantastic! I'm so glad you mentioned it, because I wanted to take my girls there last month and completely forgot the name. If you can manage a seat outside, it's very cool....sort of a big umbrella tyoe garden setting...very French, very very good food. They serve LUNCH as well, lol. They have a good wine list, bu tnot sure about the overoaked fruit bomb varieties....;-)
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM

I think the type of restaurant yo're looking for might be the Wicked Wolf on 1 st Ave and 77th (?) street . Call for information and reservations . It has a nice varied American menu and middle of the road prices . Popular with locals . Request a window table to see the passerbyes . Up on 85th/86th and 2nd is the Old Heildelburg German Restaurant ,popular with locals . One of the last Germantown restaurants .