NY Trip Report- Fodor’s 100 Winner
Ever wonder what it would be like to take a trip planned by real travel pros? My daughter and I recently returned from a four night stay in NY courtesy of Fodor’s.
You may have remembered a contest that ran during September 2012. Foderites could enter by submitting a hotel review. I submitted a review of the Atlanta Ritz Carlton where we had spent a night during the Labor Day Weekend. It was a fluke that we booked that hotel.
The review that I submitted for the contest is below:
They make great customer service look easy.
My famiy had their hearts set on attending the DragonCon parade. It was the same weekend in Atlanta as several major sports events. The whole city was booked up for twelve miles out. Low and behold the Ritz Carlton was available with Marriott points. It was directly on the parade route and blocks from the convention center.
Despite paying with points we were treated as royalty. We were offered bottled water or champagne at check in. There were cookies and custom M&Ms in the lobby. I was delighted that even though they were totally full, they honored our request for connecting rooms. The kids loved the I-pod dock and dimmable lights. My 13 year old tried on one of the fluffy white robes. My husband was amazed when he went to get ice and found the ice bucket had already been filled. (How did they do that?). I liked the plush bed and the fact that despite being filled with hundreds of sports fans and Klingon warriors the hotel was quiet.
It gets better. They gave us a 3 p.m checkout so we could enjoy ourselves and not rush. I want to go back. I don't know if I should buy lottery tickets or try to earn more Marriott points.
by palmettoprincess, 9/13/12
I have to admit, I thought that I would win. The entry deadline was my birthday which was a good omen. That being said I was still shocked to see the email from Fodor’s.
The dates of the trip were set for November At that time the hotel was still a secret. All I had to do was to select my travel companion. My husband was my first choice, but I knew it would be hard for both of us to get away during the school year. I thought of my college-aged daughter. She is studying graphic design and would love to meet the Fodor’s staff.
I had about month to plan the trip but for some reason I didn’t jump into my usual trip planning mod. I looked at getting tickets for plays but never hit “buy.” I tried on cocktail dresses for the Fodor’s 100 launch party, but didn’t find a favorite.
Of course I read the Fodor’s 2013 NY Guide from cover-to-cover but there was something off with my planning.
Sandy hit. I was dismayed at the devastation. Even those who were spared the wind and water struggled with power outages and gasoline shortages. I still wanted to go to New York but I didn’t want my first visit to the city to be under those conditions.
Fodor’s cancelled the Fodor’s 100 award ceremony because the event venue was damaged. They graciously allowed us to reschedule for my daughter’s spring break.
To Be Continued
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 10 Day California Vacation Advice
- 2 Should we go to Orlando if not interested in Disney World?
- 3 Everglades en route from Ft Myers to Miami doable?
- 4 4 days in San Diego
- 5 Grand Canyon trip from Breckenridge
- 6 NY theater district restaurant
- 7 Family winter holiday
- 8 Please help - Hawaii itinerary - big island and Honolulu
- 9 Trip to Cali
- 10 Miami: Coconut Grove or Little Havana?
- 11 Need Help Picking a Neighborhood in Boston
- 12 The Lincoln Highway, abridged: Nikki's road trip
- 13 Not a Typical Trip Report
- 14 Christkindlmarket in Chicago
- 15 CAR TRIP FROM WI TO CA (in winter!!)
- 16 Minneapolis to Mount Rushmore (worth it?)
- 17 Quiet Restaurant in Minneapolis for a celebratory dinner with a deaf guest
- 18 Big Sur weather in early December
- 19 PAC coast highway Oregon
- 20 Lake Quinault Lodge
- 21 Our next summer trip
- 22 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 23 Boston Must Do's with 4 year old
- 24 Dulles to BWI
- 25 Drive Time from Philadelphia to Gettysburg?
NY Trip Report- Fodor’s 100 Winner