Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Trip ---HOW cold is it really? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-trip-how-cold-is-it-really-453686/)

joebear Nov 22nd, 2008 05:07 AM

NYC Trip ---HOW cold is it really?

We are arriving Monday night...

Trying not to overpack...

Need suggestions for cold wear gear. Will be there until Friday...

Looks cold on the Today show...

Have long johns, warm socks, gloves, mitten, scarfs...

Any tips??

tchoiniere Nov 22nd, 2008 05:15 AM

It extremely cold. Definitely bring your gloves, etc.

mclaurie Nov 22nd, 2008 05:28 AM

It's very cold today but next week is supposed to be warmer with high temps in the 40-'s-50 f. Don't panic. You need HATS but if you don't have them, they're sold everywhere including on the street. Dress in layers. It may be very cold outside but inside is often overheated. By bringing layers you can adjust to whatever the temp is.

J62 Nov 22nd, 2008 05:41 AM

It's cold, but it sounds like you're well prepared - the advice about layers is key. A coat over a single layer shirt just doesn't do it for me, and I'm not a cold weather wuss.

You will find little direct sunlight to warm you since the sun is so low in the sky now. Pay more attention daily low temps in the forecast than daytime highs. There will also be wind - usually blowing in your face no matter which direction you are facing.

Hat, scarf, gloves definitely. Long john's are good, as butt & legs can get cold too. I have a full length wool coat that I use that often makes the difference between quite comfortable and cold, especially if I outside walking for a long time.

yk Nov 22nd, 2008 06:55 AM

Hat, scarf, gloves, thick-soled shoes.

Frequent stops for coffee and hot chocolate.

Samsaf Nov 22nd, 2008 07:05 AM

joebear, my husband and I are going to NYC on the 5th of December, and we've also been watching the weather (We're from Atlanta area, and the high yesterday was 43, I think, which is very cold for us, and I sort of figured that's how it will be in NYC).

I went yesterday to Target and bought Champion ankle-length "basic-layer" pants and long-sleeved shirt. They are thinner than regular long johns, so he'll have an easier time wearing them under his clothes. They were $12.99 each, and they're in the same section as the old-fashioned long-johns. I've got the same type of thing for me, too (I think mine are from Macy's).

Hopefully, with that, and our scarves, gloves, hats and coats, we'll be fine, because we plan to spend most of our time outdoors. My husband bought a sky-type hat, because he wanted his ears covered.

Have fun, and be sure to report back!

joebear Nov 22nd, 2008 07:13 AM

I think we are ready..
Good to hear you can pick up extra gloves if you happen to loose one..THAT will be me..I am the trip planner but somehow I tend to more involved helping the others than myself...I am working on it!!

My main concern is comfort shoes..SO I have decided to take a couple of pairs and some comfort boots for the parade...

Good part no worry about the hair...SO much on and off of the hat and wind...Not bothering to take normal hair products..

yk Nov 22nd, 2008 07:19 AM

Apart from the cold temperature, my experience in NYC is that it's always very windy. All the tall buildings kind of create a wind tunnel along the streets & avenues, so you need to add on the component of windchill!

I find jackets with zippers are much warmer than wool coats with buttons only, as the zippers keep the wind out much better than buttoned coats.

Thick-soled shoes are important as they insulate your feet from the frozen ground. Once your toes and feet get cold, you feel a lot colder even if your body stays warm.

tambennett Nov 22nd, 2008 08:00 AM

I just bought a pair of Ugg boots hoping they will keep my feet warm while in NYC! What about gloves? Should we buy mittens or glove? Leather or not?

joebear Nov 22nd, 2008 08:06 AM

I find leather not to be as warm. Mittens are warmer but not as in style...

I am taking 2 pair of gloves...Lighter weight zip jacket and wool coat for parade.

bmw732002 Nov 22nd, 2008 09:49 AM

Today it is freezing! 22F and windy!
But by Monday it should be in the 50's Go figure, that is NYC this time of year!

nytraveler Nov 22nd, 2008 09:58 AM

We're having an early cold snap at the moment. I wouldn;t describe it as bitter cold - like the days in the teens you can get in Jan/Feb - but the highs will be in the lower 40's and the lows around freezing.

I think long johns are complete overkill - you will roast to death when you go indoors. But you do need a winter coat, hat, gloves, scarf and mittens. And you are looking at some rain or wet snow (it won't stick) so be sure your shoes are waterproof and have non-skid bottoms.

HowardR Nov 22nd, 2008 01:18 PM

yk is quite accurate about the wind-tunnel effect. It can make for some very cold walking. I find Sixth Avenue to be the worst in this respect.

jayne1973 Nov 23rd, 2008 04:28 AM

Although bulky on the plane ride, I found that wearing a long wool coat was excellent for keeping warm in New York City.

nytraveler Nov 23rd, 2008 06:00 AM

Yes - a proper winter coat (that means knee length or longer and good thick wool/cashmere) is necessary. A short jacket won't do - and those puff coats are just too tacky for words.

Anonymous Nov 23rd, 2008 06:09 AM

Also, a lot depends on where you're from and what you're used to. Temperatures in the 40s will feel frigid to Floridians and cozy to folks from Minnesota. Bring hat and gloves and prepare for wind.

sf7307 Nov 23rd, 2008 10:45 AM

I bought a new pair of Uggs last year for Aspen - good thing, because it was below 0. Everything else froze, but my feet were never even cold!

GoTravel Nov 23rd, 2008 04:51 PM

tambennet, note that those Uggs are not waterproof so if there is any rain or slush, your feet will be soaked.

While I'm a big fan of Uggs, I find regular leather boots with rubber soles work better and look much better.

tambennett Nov 24th, 2008 06:49 AM

Thanks GoTravel! I did buy the waterproofing product for the boots, hopefully it works!