Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Trip (General Posting) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-trip-general-posting-330534/)

KimD66 Jun 24th, 2003 08:56 AM

NYC Trip (General Posting)

I highly recommend having a list of MUST-DOs for yourself when travelling to NYC. Stuff you just won't go home until you see/do. You'll really need it.

I just got back from a 5-day NYC whirlwind trip. There is SO MUCH to see and do it will overwhelm you. I think we did maybe 1/3 of what our "ideal" list contained, but accomplished all of our MUST see/do list.

Allot for travel time. You'll be surprised how much time you spend just getting somewhere. It is amazing, really. Between the planning the route, then the walking to the subway station, then the walk to the actual destination / or the walking itself . . . much energy is spent!!

Subways are simple. Get yourself a map and a MetroCard. Only thing to watch is that on weekends, they do track repair and some tracks may be re-routed. There is always an alternate route. I usually can't follow a map to save my life, but found it surprisingly easy to get around on the subway. I highly recommend!!!

Cabs. Man oh man. We had a horrific cab ride from the airport. 2 or 3 absolutely HORRIFIC rides in the city. But, I must stress that not all cabs were terrible. We actually had one nice (our last one in the city) ride. And, the cab back to the airport was surprisingly nice. Let's just say we tipped appropriately and thanked them both for the best rides we had had. I did notice that during the good rides, they both had their licenses clearly posted. I didn't recall seeing the photo ID/license on the other cabs.

Many tourists attempt to "fit in" in NYC. Don't bother! Seriously. You are a tourist and everyone will know it! Trust me here. Wear the tennis shoes/comfy shoes. Who cares! Your feet will thank you for it. I came home with blisters (from the first day, no less!) galore. On the tops of my feet from my previously comfortable shoes. Then I switched to tennis shoes (and band-aids!) and still ended up with blisters on the BOTTOMS of my feet. My ankles swelled up every single day from water retention. Force yourself to drink lots of water!!

It is HUMID in NYC. I was really surprised by that. But, in fairness, it did rain quite a bit. It did not stop us! Umbrellas are for sale just about everywhere on the street. Thank Goodness!

All in all, we had a blast. I can't wait to go back and accomplish some of the things we didn't get a chance to do.

NYBound Jun 25th, 2003 01:40 AM

Thanks, KimD66, for your helpful info. We go to NY next week. I'd love to hear what all you did during your stay, how you got to each sight, what you experienced and where you ate. I've learned so much from other people's posts and trip reports.

bmw732002 Jun 25th, 2003 06:50 AM

Good points Kim!

As New Yawker (well as a new york worker) I hate to see the tourists dressed as tourists! It gets me jealous that I have to work while they are playing in the greatest playground in the U.S. of A.!!

I have been working in NYC for over 30 years and I still have not seen it all!!
JOHN

crosbie Jun 25th, 2003 08:02 AM

I'm bringing my parents to NYC for 4th of July weekend. While the few times I just walked around NYC I was looking for something to do with them like those trolley tours-get them off their feet for a while. I would love any coments or suggests for one of these tours, as well as ANY other ideas anyone might have to see New York with older folks.

Also I'm booked at the Super 8 in Times Sq. Any comments?? Should I be scared??

Thanks very much---

Rebecca

crosbie Jun 25th, 2003 08:04 AM

I'm sorry! i meant to post as separate post.. not in reply. SORRY!

KimD66 Jun 25th, 2003 10:56 AM

We had a great time. Our hotel was the Radisson Lexington. 48th and Lexington - a super neighborhood. The hotel itself was OK. Not the best, but all we did was sleep there, anyway. The bartender, Michael, was WONDERFUL to us!!

The first evening we got in, we headed for the Empire State Building. It was not raining, so we walked. We got there late - around 10:30 or so (our plane got in late). But, the haze was gone and so we could see the lights perfectly. What a view. I was glad we went at night, because I truly wouldn't have known where anything was anyway! And, it was beautiful.

I travelled with a friend, and as women, we were a bit nervous about walking in NYC alone at night. We had absolutely NO problems the entire time we were there. We used common sense, though.

Thursday, we ventured into Grand Central. Although we found a closer subway station later, this was a good place to start! We had tickets to see The View. It was interesting to see how they put together a live show. And, it got us into the upper west side of the city. We wandered around after the show and found a SUPER little pub called the Emerald Inn. They had a reasonably priced/superb tasting lunch menu and authentic NY patrons - complete with accents! I am sure they weren't real thrilled with us invading their space, but they took our money, anyway :-)

Then we caught the subway back to Times Square. Went to Madame Trussaud's Wax Museum. It was pretty incredible, if you have never seen it before. The line was not long when we arrived, but when we left was a different story.

From there, we caught the Grey Line Double Decker bus tour. Took the entire downtown ride. It lasted around 2-1/2 hours. Well worth it. We learned a ton from our tour guide about the different neighborhoods, etc. FUN! We didn't get on/off that trip, because we planned on getting back on the next day. This didn't pan out, but was a good idea, anyway!

That night we took the subway to the Gotham City Comedy Club. $10 cover / 2 drink minimum. FUN! They had 5 comics, of which 4 were great! Tight seating, but every seat is a good one!

Friday was our top TOURIST day (yes, it gets worse!). Stood in line for the Today Show from 4:30 until the show started. Had signs (made out of foamboard for easy lifting above our heads!) already made and brought in the suitcases! This was a blast. Because we were there so early, we had a PRIME spot in the Plaza. Lisa Marie Presley performed and did a stupendous job. I hear she didn't come across so great on TV (by the way, she fell down the stairs during the first song and had to get up and finish - poor girl), but I assure you, that soundcheck was incredible. Goose Bump incredible! So, we got on TV a BUNCH of times. How lame!! But fun to go back to the hotel and call home and watch with them (they tape the concert and show it periodically throughout the broadcast).

Then it was back to the hotel for a quick nap! Waste, I know - but we were going on 3 hours of sleep. Got up and went to St. Patrick's Cathedral. Gorgeous. Highly recommend. Didn't get to St. John the Divine, but wish I had! Back to the hotel to get ready for dinner and the theatre.

Taxi to dinner. Went to South Side Cafe. A quaint little italian restaurant about 4 short blocks from our show. Look it up online - you can get a 15% off coupon! The staff was very courteous and the food excellent. This was only our 2nd meal in the city (in a restaurant)! I KNOW! All that good food and we hardly ate. Don't know if it was nerves or just that we didn't have time!

Saw The Producers. GREAT show - even with a third-run cast. Super funny! Glad we went. Got our tickets on e-bay in advance.

Saturday we took the subway to Chinatown/Little (little being the key word here) Italy. Had brunch at The Essex (they also have a website). $12 brunch on Sat. & Sun. from 11:30 til 4. Good food and 3 drinks (screw driver, mimosa or bloody mary). Then walked the streets back towards a different subway. There was a big market thing going on on Mulberry St. and Canal. Street was closed and, although it was raining, shops had their wares out (canopies) and restaurants had tables out on the sidewalks. TONS of restaurants here! Fun little expedition.

That night we took a cab and did the Circle Line Harbor Lights Cruise. Learned alot from the guide. Saw the city from a whole new perspective - and got to see the Statue of Liberty on top it all. A perfect evening (although it rained a bit!).

Cab back to the hotel and we walked around the city a bit before hitting the hotel bar.

Sunday a.m. was pack and leave day. Unfortunately, it was the day the sun poked through and the good weather came! Although, I am glad we don't have to deal with 97 degree weather and humidity! I am thankful we had high 60's and rain!

Hope this helped / I know it is LONG!!

NYBound Jun 25th, 2003 02:52 PM

Thanks, KimD66, for responding with your trip report. I enjoyed reading it !! I was planning 6:00 a.m. for the Today Show. Wow, 4:30 ! That's early !! I do have my list of MUST-DOs, I just pray for nice weather !!

KimD66 Jun 26th, 2003 05:03 AM

6:00 for the Today Show is probably fine on a regular day, but on Friday because of the concert series it is pretty late to line up. Some people camped overnight so they could be first in line. Unfortunately for them, they had to leave to use the bathroom and security wouldn't let them back in!

Hope you have a ball!