Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Trip: Commuting into city (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-trip-commuting-into-city-594457/)

Sunny46 Feb 26th, 2006 11:45 AM

NYC Trip: Commuting into city

I would appreciate some advice on where to stay just outside the city if we would decide to commute in each day for our six day trip this summer. I've heard about the 'Metro North' train. Is there a nearby northern NYC suburb with a nice hotel close to their train station where we could stay? How long of a trip into the city? Are one of the nearby cities in NJ an option at all? Bear with me folks, but I no nothing about NYC at all! Thanks so much for any and all input.

HowardR Feb 26th, 2006 12:03 PM

Why don't you want to stay in the city? It's just not the same experience staying outside.

Sunny46 Feb 26th, 2006 12:31 PM

Because we will be driving our van due to other summer sightseeing along the way. The price to park a van in the city is over $40 a day at some locations; excessive from how I look at it. Plus, the price of hotels have absolutely skyrocketed. If it's too much of a hassle to commute...we won't. We can afford it all but just wanted to check some other options before we decide.

HowardR Feb 26th, 2006 01:18 PM

PS: How many are you? The train fair could be more than the parking costs!

HowardR Feb 26th, 2006 01:19 PM

This message should have come first!
I'm confused. First you lament about the high cost of hotels and parking. But, then you say that you can afford it. Hell, if you can afford it, there's no dilemma....You stay in the city!

jlm_mi Feb 26th, 2006 01:49 PM

I'll go ahead and disagree with Howard! Granted, I have no desire to take a trip to NYC without staying actually in the city, but I totally disagree that if you can afford something you should just do it! Even this.

I can afford a lot, but choose to save money when possible so that I can afford more. Not a bad way to behave, I think. :)

Sunny - Have you looked into places outside the city where you could leave your van, take the train into the city once and stay there? If there are just two of you (not sure from your post), consider priceline for a hotel deal. It's not as great in NYC as other areas, but even a small room for two in the city would be preferable (in my opinion) to staying outside the city and commuting each day.

That said, when we lived in Connecticut we took the Metro North train from New Haven many times for a day trip. It was fine, but not necessarily cheap. You can check their website to see where the trains go and how much it costs.

Even if you have to pay a few dollars a day to park your van outside of the city, it might be worth it if you can get a good hotel deal. There's nothing like staying in NYC to get the best feel for the city itself. And it's great to have someplace to go rest or drop packages in the middle of the day!

nessundorma Feb 26th, 2006 02:17 PM

Have you considered places in Brooklyn or Queens that have parking? (Including B&Bs?) That way, you'll only be paying for a subway fare instead of round-trip train tickets. I live 30 minutes by train from NYC (no hotels in my town) and a ten-pack of train tix costs just over $100 bucks. Two people? $200 bucks.

40 bucks a day x 6 days = $240 bucks.

For the extra 40, you might as well stay in the city.

Sunny46 Feb 26th, 2006 03:03 PM

I did not know I had to explain in detail with my first post WHY we 'might' consider not staying in the city, Howard. You pressed for more information and then you did not seem to like what I had to say. I am like jlm_mi, I also choose to save when and where I can 'if possible.' I am not complaining nor lamenting. Thank you jlm_mi for your ideas. I will check them out. (There are two of us) Thanks also, nessundorma, for the information about the train expense. I agree...too expensive.

wantsomesun Feb 26th, 2006 03:30 PM

Well first let me say welcome to NYC, and I'm sure you will have a great time.

Have you checked the Travel Inn on W. 42nd St yet? They offer free parking and the hotel is very reasonably priced. They also have a pool and are well located not far from Times Square, and train and bus lines are within walking distance.

I would also agree to stay in the city so you won't be spending all your vacation in transit at night back to your hotel, and late at night the trains and buses are on a limited schedule to it will take longer.

Hope this helps and please let us know if you have any other questions.

starrsville Feb 26th, 2006 03:32 PM

Isn't there a Sheraton across the river (with beautiful views of the city) that is a ferry ride away? I had it bookmarked, but on my old computer.

Anyone know which one I'm talking about.

seetheworld Feb 26th, 2006 03:36 PM

There's a Sheraton in Weehawken.

starrsville Feb 26th, 2006 03:52 PM

Thanks STW. Yep, that's it.

Check this out, Sunny, on the Sheraton website. It may meet your criteria -

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton

I put in random dates in June and found a promo rate for $169. An all suite hotel. Beautiful views of the city. Ferry just outside the door.

They sent me a promo card years ago with an opening special and I kept it on my desk for a long time. Have never stayed there, but it sounds like it may meet your needs.

nytraveler Feb 26th, 2006 04:57 PM

Before you book the Travel Inn be sure that they can take vans the size of yours. While all garages will take smaller SUVs and vans - usually for a $10+ per day premium - if the van or SUV is large it often simply won;t fit - the ceilings are usually VERY low.

Your best option I would think is to park the van at a train station in New Jersey and then take the train into the City for the 6 days. If you do a search below people familiar with Jersey train stations have listed some at which this is inexpensive and safe.

MetroNorth is not a good option - I can;t think of anyplace there is a decent hotel within walking distance to a train station - although some may have shuttles.

As for B&Bs in Brooklyn and Queens - there aren't very many close to the city and the inexpensive hotels by the airports are generally awful - besides being a trek into the city.

Another option may be the Hyatt just across the river in Jersey - I believe it often has good rates - and can sometimes be won on Priceline.

alya Feb 26th, 2006 05:20 PM

I agree with HowardR that the best thing is to stay in the city - purely for logistical reasons.

Personally I like to be able to pop back to my hotel room to freshen up after a busy day before going out for the evening, to try to do this while staying out of town will cost a fortune in train/cab fares and wasted personal time, which I put a BIG value on.

nytraveler seems to have come up with the best option for you so far.

ggreen Feb 26th, 2006 07:41 PM

I don't think Westchester County or Connecticut will do you much good on cost savings; as others have said, the ticket price will add up, plus the task of finding a place with a hotel in proximity to a train station (other than maybe White Plains?). However, I'd agree that NJ might be a good option: as mentioned, there are ferries from Weehawken and other cities, and the PATH subway train in Jersey City, Hoboken, and Newark will take you right into Manhattan for no more than the NY subway costs. Both ferry and PATH are heavily used by commuters... So many large office and residential buildings have gone up in that area, especially after 9/11, that there must be several hotel options. Commuting from any of those areas will take you no longer than my commute from western Brooklyn to midtown - and I have to say that I don't have any problems "experiencing the city" and still making it home at night, with the occasional splurge on a taxi.

One other suggestion would be the Brooklyn Marriott, located just over the Brooklyn Bridge from lower Manhattan. I would think they might have a better parking situation than Manhattan hotels, and maybe a better price range. (As one other poster warned, many hotels in Manhattan will say they provide parking without specifying that large vehicles do not qualify; a friend of mine got burned that way!) It's the only major hotel in western Brooklyn. Have a great trip!

nessundorma Feb 26th, 2006 07:53 PM

Unless the Sheraton in Weehawken in down the hill at the river's edge, it's a nice hike up and down the hill to the ferry landing, rather a drag in snowy, rainy or hot weather.

Also, how frequently do the ferries run after rush hour? It's bad enough that the trains only run once an hour after 8pm, but do the ferries even run past 9pm?

Last but not least, I believe the Weehawken ferry docks near Javits Center, but way beyond 10th or 11th Ave. I wouldn't want to walk around that neighborhood much late at night.

ggreen Feb 26th, 2006 08:08 PM

That's true about the hill in Weehawken; Jersey City and Hoboken are on flatter ground... All the ferries have free buses that run to and from midtown and probably Wall Street, though you're right that I don't know the hours. The buses take you right to the terminal where they have a waiting area. (I believe the ferry company is called NY Waterways, and probably has a website where you can find out more.)

Personally, I would stay in a less expensive hotel with a better parking situation, and then spend the money in the evening on a taxi as necessary. But it does depend on how late you think you'll be out and what the PATH or ferry schedule ends up being; if you're out every night until 11pm or later, figure on spending the taxi money each night for peace of mind. Also, taxis often require you to pay the toll for their return trip (tho there's no outgoing toll to NJ, just coming in to Manhattan).

HowardR Feb 27th, 2006 04:17 AM

Sorry if you felt I "did not like" what you had to say. My intentionally exaggerated comments were merely to emphasize that you should make every effort to stay in the city rather than commute from any suburb if you want to get the most out of your visit! And, since you said that money wasn't an issue, there should be no question in your mind that staying in the city would be the best choice.
Now, once you make that decision, then figure out whether it would be practical and somewhat cost efficient to park in the city, or at least not that much more than parking in any suburb.

Jean_Valjean Feb 27th, 2006 07:01 AM

There's a Residence Inn in White Plains within walking distance of the Metro North train station. Prices are usually around $150 per night. Parking is free.

A round trip ticket from White Plains to NYC is $14.75, depending on the schedule. The trip takes 30 minutes to Grand Central, if you take an express train. I do this commute (in reverse) every day, and it is quite manageable.

nessundorma Feb 27th, 2006 07:03 AM

Do you the express trains run off-peak?

Also, 15 bucks per person is a lot, vs 40 to park a car in the city.