NYC Tour for family, best way ?

Jun 13th, 2000, 06:45 AM
Gary

NYC Tour for family, best way ?

I'm taking my family to NYC this weekend and would like to get some input on best sightseeing method. Grayline has buses that make a big loop and you get on/off at different places or maybe renting a limo for 4 hours or so. We have 6 people so the bus tour would be over $150 anyhow. Staying at the Waldorf on a weekend rate and if anyone knows of a real "New York" pizza restaurant neaby any input or general advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Jun 13th, 2000, 11:50 AM
lisa

Go to John's Pizzeria in midtown -- it's great! Also, lunch at the Carnegie Deli, also in midtown, is a real New York experience -- it's the most expensive sandwich you'll ever eat but it's delicious. We did the Grayline tour once and really enjoyed it.

Jun 13th, 2000, 12:14 PM
tweedy

Gary, WELCOME to the Big Apple. You will have a great time, the weather should be just about perfect this weekend.

Siteseeing tour you actually might enjoy getting a book and walk all over the city, or rent a limo, I think it's $30 an hour.

The Waldorf is at the bottom of Central Park, so you can walk around the park abit and maybe even go to the lake and rent boats and row around, nice way to spend an afternoon.

For some siteseeing I would start at the Empire State Building, and get a $4.00 metrocard for everyone. It is a pass to all the buses and subways with unlimited rides all day, so you can run around the city and take in the sites.

You might like the South St. Seaport and the Wall St. area then up through Chinatown, Little Italy and Soho to the Village. Lots to see and you can stop for ices and yummies as you walk north.

Have a great time and if you need any more info, email me or leave a message here.

We are leaving for Florida on Thursday night, so I will try and get back to answer any more questions you might have.

Again, have a fun trip.

tweedy

Jun 13th, 2000, 04:04 PM
howard

A few other suggestions:
*Take the Circle Line Cruise around Manhattan from the Hudson River pier at 42nd Street.
*Certainly walk around Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue and the Times Square area. You can't come to New York and not see those areas!
*If museums are on your list, you've got a lot of top ones to choose from: The Metropolitan, Museum of Modern Art, The American Museum of Natural History (a great one for kids; its new planetarium is a must), to mention just three.
A few "observations" on earlier postings:
*The Waldorf is several blocks from the "bottom" of Central Park--11 blocks south and two blocks east to be exact.
*The sandwiches at the Carnegie Deli are not the most expensive sandwich you'll ever eat.
*Don't bother with Wall Street on a weekend. It's quiet and dull!

Jun 13th, 2000, 05:23 PM
Paul Rabe

Suggest Ray's Pizza for great pizza. And I recommend the Circle Line Tour to get a great sense of Manhattan island.

Jun 14th, 2000, 04:39 AM
vosaski

We took the Grayline bus tour many years ago. There's not much to say -- it was a typical bus tour -- on the bus off the bus on their schedule. The obvious advantage of a limo is that you decide where to go and when. The only problem with a limo, is that you can't see NYC out of a window of a car. Most of the time the limo will be sitting somewhere while you tour the sites.
What we did last year is use the New York Apple Tours. You can jump on and off at various points for a single all day price. You're going at the right time, traffic is much better on the weekend.

Jun 14th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Caitlin

Personally I think the best way to sightsee in NYC is on foot and public transit (as mentioned above, you can get a $4 unlimited day pass for bus and subway, or it's $1.50 a ride). Manhattan is very easy to navigate, as it's basically a grid; you just need a decent map and guidebook. At any rate, a limo that seats six will cost more than $150 for four hours. You're probably aware that NY Apple tours is not currently in business.

For pizza, the John's recommendation is right-on. The 44th St. (between Broadway and 8th Ave) location is in a renovated church with lots of stained glass and is very nice. They do New York-style pizza. I you go to Carnegie Deli (7th Ave. around 55th St.?), the $15 sandwiches may or may not be the most expensive you'll have, but they will most likely be the biggest.

Search this Thread