I'm thinking of taking a road trip from NYC to the Outer Banks (Ocracoke ultimately). I have 4 days and 3 nights.
I'm mostly after scenery and cool/interesting towns and places to visit along the way. I've never been to that part of the country so pretty much anything is fair game!
Should I take the Cape May - Lewes ferry or go around it? Is that pretty exciting or meh?
I'm thinking of driving along the coast on the way there and then going through Richmond/DC/Baltimore/Philly on the way back to make things more interesting -- is that a good idea?
What would be a good choice for midway points to stay the night, in both directions? By looking at the map I was thinking Lewes on the way there and then perhaps Richmond/DC coming back, but I'd actually prefer something off the beaten path.
Any other ideas on where to stop/sleep on either way?
thank you for any and all input!
PS. I'd be leaving next week! (fri, sat, sun, and back on monday evening)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Roku Tech Support
- 2 chau rua chen
- 3 Everglades en route from Ft Myers to Miami doable?
- 4 10 Day California Vacation Advice
- 5 Please help - Hawaii itinerary - big island and Honolulu
- 6 Miami: Coconut Grove or Little Havana?
- 7 Should we go to Orlando if not interested in Disney World?
- 8 4 days in San Diego
- 9 Grand Canyon trip from Breckenridge
- 10 NY theater district restaurant
- 11 Family winter holiday
- 12 Trip to Cali
- 13 Need Help Picking a Neighborhood in Boston
- 14 The Lincoln Highway, abridged: Nikki's road trip
- 15 Not a Typical Trip Report
- 16 Christkindlmarket in Chicago
- 17 CAR TRIP FROM WI TO CA (in winter!!)
- 18 Minneapolis to Mount Rushmore (worth it?)
- 19 Quiet Restaurant in Minneapolis for a celebratory dinner with a deaf guest
- 20 Big Sur weather in early December
- 21 PAC coast highway Oregon
- 22 Lake Quinault Lodge
- 23 Our next summer trip
- 24 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 25 Boston Must Do's with 4 year old