NYC to Boston, through Newport and others

Old Mar 25th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC to Boston, through Newport and others

Hello everyone.
Difficult to place this question in any state forum, but from what I ve been reading, it may better come here.

My wife and I are going to NYC in May for 12 nights (we will leave our 3 kids with their grandparents in homeland, Argentina). We have already been in NYC, so we are planning first week in there and second 5 nights go to Newport, RI and Boston.

We do not know RI, Connecticut nor Massachusetts.
Initialy we had planned to go by train from NYC to Boston, but after wandering arround the forum and other sites, we decided to look at areas in between.

So up to now I ve got;
May 7 to May 14th NYC (this is already fixed)
May 14th booked a car till 18
May 14th night stay at The Mill Street Inn in Newport
May 15th to 17 hotel booked at Homewood Suites Logan, Boston (for having Parking for the car but also easy access to walk in Boston).

So my questions are about how to fill the schedule from 14th to 18th.

We have taken a look at places as Mystic, Newport, Plymouth, Barnstable. Maybe the Hamptons in LI also.
So I am open to suggestions on what to see. We like architecture, sightseeing, walk arround places and loose arround, we like to eat but not neccessary spend a lot of time into it.

I have considered;
Option A
14th AM drive to and visit Mystic and then drive to Newport for dinner and small walk arround
15th day at newport, drive in the afternoon to Boston
16 and 17th Boston
18th visit plymouth Barnstable and drive back to Newark for night close to Airport for going back

Option B
14th drive to Long Island, visit the Hampton, take the ferry to New London, lunch at LI or at Mystic, the night at Newport
15 to 18 same as above

But as mentioned, I am opened to any recommendation
Thanks as usual to all members willing to help

Zeq
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 09:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Is your car rental from Newark airport? If it is from Manhattan, you may be paying more than renting from another place. Why return from Newark instead of from Boston or someplace else?
You could take NE Regional train from Penn Station to Providence Rhode Island and rent a car there to go to Newport or back to New London or Mystic.
New London is home to the US Submarine museum. You can take a self guided tour through the Nautilus.
Newark has an Amtrak and New Jersey Transit rail station to get into New York City.
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 05:00 AM

Check mileage and time to drive because I don't see how you can visit in NYC until May 14, drive to Newport to overnight on May 14 and then be in Boston hotel for May 15 and have time to enjoy where you are. Last fall we did two mansion tours (Beneath the Breakers and Servants quarters) and then a late lunch. We had previously visited Newport mansions and were particularly interested in these two tours. You should buy tickets in advance. We also did a downtown Providence food tour which was great fun even on a rainy day but that was on the first day of our visit before we went to Newport. We were disappointed in Plymouth and the highlight of that weekend visit on a different fall weekend was a guided tour of cranberry bogs.
Boston has a lot to offer but I would suggest spending one more night in Newport and one less in Boston. RI has some lovely small towns you might want to explore.
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 05:40 AM

If you are renting the car at JFK, you will already be on Long Island and the Ferry option from Orient Point to New London might avoid some of the traffic on 95. Taking the train to New Haven, New London or Mystic would do that also. You will find much more flexible schedules to New Haven or New London and could rent a car in either.

Where ever you get the car it will probably be less expensive if you do a loop and avoid a drop charge.
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 05:41 AM

There are some pretty towns in CT and New Haven is interesting. Personally I would take the train from NYC to Boston, spend a couple of days there and then rent a car and take the train back to NYC.
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 06:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You will not need a car in Boston, and if that is what determined your choice of hotel there, I would ditch the car and choose a more central hotel. (I gather yours is at or near the airport.) Take the train back to New York/Newark.

Stonington Borough, near Mystic, is a very walkable neighborhood filled with very well maintained 18th and 19th century buildings, meeting two of your criteria. Have lunch at Noah's.
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomfuller
Is your car rental from Newark airport? If it is from Manhattan, you may be paying more than renting from another place. Why return from Newark instead of from Boston or someplace else?
You could take NE Regional train from Penn Station to Providence Rhode Island and rent a car there to go to Newport or back to New London or Mystic.
New London is home to the US Submarine museum. You can take a self guided tour through the Nautilus.
Newark has an Amtrak and New Jersey Transit rail station to get into New York City.
Yes, from Newark as my plane back home is from there. I had good prices from there too
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfrostnh
Check mileage and time to drive because I don't see how you can visit in NYC until May 14, drive to Newport to overnight on May 14 and then be in Boston hotel for May 15 and have time to enjoy where you are. Last fall we did two mansion tours (Beneath the Breakers and Servants quarters) and then a late lunch. We had previously visited Newport mansions and were particularly interested in these two tours. You should buy tickets in advance. We also did a downtown Providence food tour which was great fun even on a rainy day but that was on the first day of our visit before we went to Newport. We were disappointed in Plymouth and the highlight of that weekend visit on a different fall weekend was a guided tour of cranberry bogs.
Boston has a lot to offer but I would suggest spending one more night in Newport and one less in Boston. RI has some lovely small towns you might want to explore.
I was not clear enought, sorry.
I will look arround NYC till 13th night.
My idea is to take car eary morning 14 and start this trip. My idea was a full day in Newport, given your comments I may consider to skip Plymouth and Cape Cod.
These are the problems I like, decide what of good stuff to choose from!!
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IMDonehere
There are some pretty towns in CT and New Haven is interesting. Personally I would take the train from NYC to Boston, spend a couple of days there and then rent a car and take the train back to NYC.
Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo
You will not need a car in Boston, and if that is what determined your choice of hotel there, I would ditch the car and choose a more central hotel. (I gather yours is at or near the airport.) Take the train back to New York/Newark.

Stonington Borough, near Mystic, is a very walkable neighborhood filled with very well maintained 18th and 19th century buildings, meeting two of your criteria. Have lunch at Noah's.
So it seems train is being preferred over taking a car! Thanks for your suggestions.
I do have a lot to choose from here.
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 12:24 PM

And I second Fra's advice to visit Stonington Burrough and have lunch at Noah's.
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emalloy
And I second Fra's advice to visit Stonington Burrough and have lunch at Noah's.
Thanks for the advice, I have even checked Noah´s website and Menu. Looks interesting (they even have one Argentinean wine in their list, just an average one, but at least one!!)
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 04:34 PM

To have to get from NYC to Newark and then drive up to Newport could take you hours and hours, depending on day and time. By the time you hop on a train at Penn station you could be already in CT by the time you would just be pulling out of Newark. Not too sure about New Haven but there is an Enterprise a quarter mile from Old Saybrook train station, I am sure they would even pick you up. I would rent the car from there and drive up. You can drop at Newark on your flight home. The drop charge is minimal from there (that is how we frequently get to JFK if we are flying out of New York but not back into it).You definitely do not need a car in Boston, as others have said. You really do not have very many days, maybe you want to just train straight to Boston? I would skip the Cape and surrounding areas.