Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Times Square Renaissance or Marriott Marquis? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-times-square-renaissance-or-marriott-marquis-450150/)

tamtot Nov 6th, 2008 06:57 AM

NYC Times Square Renaissance or Marriott Marquis?

Hi,
We're looking at being in the heart of it all for our Spring trip. I realize there will be chaos and tons of people, but with an 18 yr old, I think she'll love it! Anyway, looking at the Renaissance and the Marriott Marquis.
How close are these hotels to each other (as I understand the TKTS booth is in/near the Marquis). Any experience with either of them?
Thanks so much,
Tammy

vjpblovesitaly Nov 6th, 2008 07:09 AM

www.hopstop.com is a good place to look for various direction information, including walking distances and routes and public transportation options. Put the two addresses in and choose walking directions or whatever other options you might want to look at.

doug_stallings Nov 6th, 2008 07:11 AM

Both hotels are good, though I find the Renaissance more attractive because it's entrance is somewhat north of the main crush of Times Square (though it's only 48th, so it's just a couple of blocks). The hotels are both close to TKTS, though the Marriott Marquis a tad closer. Both are equally convenient to transit. Choose the cheaper hotel.

illnative Nov 6th, 2008 08:20 AM

I have stayed at both and my personal preference is the Renaissance. The times I have been at the Marriott Marquis - wait times for the elevators has been an issue and I think the rooms more dated. That being said - there isn't a huge difference in the two - so if the price is a big difference - the Marriott would be fine.

tamtot Nov 6th, 2008 08:33 AM

Thanks everyone! Actually, the Renaissance is a little cheaper, so I'll go that route. The only thing causing me to lean towards Marriott was the ticket booth, but if I can walk it, I'm good.
You all are awesome!
Tammy

spring212 Nov 6th, 2008 09:43 AM

The TKTS booth was temporarily relocated to the Marriott but has now re-opened in the original spot at 47th & B'way.

gyppielou Nov 6th, 2008 09:48 AM

good choice, although I have often stopped for a drink and a view on the 8th floor, the hotel is a mobscene and I could never stay there.

boyney Nov 6th, 2008 11:01 AM

Both are good choices (I've stayed at both too) and the Renaissance will be fine but do try to go to the bar on the 8th floor of the Marquis. If you get a table by the window you have a great view of the lights and commotion without being in it.

TC Nov 6th, 2008 02:08 PM

The TKTS booth is just about a half block outside the front door of the Renaissance. This used to be my favorite NY hotel until they remodeled it. Now I don't think the rooms are as comfortable as they once were and the prices are out of sight, so we've moved to the Doubletree across the street. Having said that, the Renaissance is a much better choice than the Marquis. You'll have great subway access from the Renaissance to anywhere in NY.

tamtot Nov 6th, 2008 04:41 PM

Thanks so much! It looks like Doubletree and Renaissance are about the same price, so I'll stick with Renaissance.
You guys are fabulous!

NeoPatrick Nov 6th, 2008 05:31 PM

Has Foley's reopened at the Rennaissance? That had one of the most fantastic views of Times Square of any place?

starrs Nov 8th, 2008 05:38 AM

Another fan of the Ren's location over the MM. I visited friends there in June and really like the rooms.