Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC--Things I've Learned (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-things-ive-learned-210571/)

Brad Nov 27th, 2001 07:14 PM

NYC--Things I've Learned

Just returned from an outstanding 4 day weekend in NYC.<BR>I lived in Philly in the 1980's and haven't been back to NYC in more than 10 years. My, how things have changed.<BR><BR>**People were exceedingly friendly, almost without exception<BR>**Felt safer than ever. Walked around the theater district and Times Square area after 11 PM and felt vary comfortable.<BR>**Restaurant quality has not faltered, of course.<BR>**Hassle factor was almost non-existent, from transport to and from LGA, subways, shopping, etc.<BR><BR>Specifics: stayed at the Four Seasons. Reviews are somewhat mixed in the "Rants and Raves" section of Fodor's. Recently rated the #1 hotel in the USA by Zagat, the highlights of this hotel include location, views from upper floors, staff/service and bathrooms. Decor is not really my style. It's an I. M. Pei designed hotel, contemporary design, Asian influence, blonde woods, gold carpets with black accents and a moderate amount of chrome. Rooms are the largest standard rooms in NYC, smallest being 500 sq. ft I believe. We were upgraded to an upper floor suite probably 900+ sq. ft. with stunning views of Central Park and the city out the different corner windows. Bathroom is very nice, and was probably among the best in the US when this hotel opened. (Personally I still think the bathrooms in the suites at Bellagio are the best I've ever seen). Linens are, of course, extremely high thread count and soft as can be imagined. I must say that, contrary to some posts in the "R&R's", I can't recall ever having experienced such consistently high quality staff from the Housekeeping people and Bellmen on up to the Concierge, in any hotel I've ever stayed in. In fact, I wrote a letter to the general manager of the hotel I was so impressed. They were as nice and solicitous of us as if we were dignitaries, despite the fact that we're in our 30's and weren't there on business. I just can't say enough about the staff.<BR><BR>We ate at the Gramercy Tavern and Town among other places and were more than pleased.<BR>There is an almost palpable sense of community pride and pulling together in NYC right now and it's very reassuring and pleasant.<BR>I can't say enough complimentary things about how far NYC has progressed over the past 10-12 years as a vacation destination.<BR>We had a wonderful time from beginning to end.

cdf Nov 27th, 2001 07:21 PM

Brad, happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, we happen to like NY also :) of course that couldn't have anything to do with the fact that we live here! Will have to give ourselves a treat and stay a weekend at the Four Seasons, hurry back~C

Howard Nov 28th, 2001 04:56 AM

Glad you were able to discover what we New Yorkers have known for years!

Elizabeth Nov 28th, 2001 12:00 PM

I am glad you came and had a good experience, including a sense of the community as a community right now. Please please please ignore the rude comment, they are turning up here lately but -- but nothing, don't bother.

michelle Nov 28th, 2001 12:10 PM

Brad, I am happy that your weekend in NYC was enjoyable.It's funny how you go back to a place after years away and it either never could live up to memories or it exceeds all expectations...I am pleased that the people were friendly-- as in Paris, the reputation of rude and unfriendly people must be made up by gremlins who have never really been there~or by whatshisname-greg? I like Philly too!

J. Carson Jul 19th, 2002 08:37 AM

I agree with you that New Yorkers are primarily friendly. Most, I've gone to school or worked with have been very nice people. The last and only time I've been to NYC was in March 1994 and the people were great then. I was in a convention at the Jacob Javits center. Furthermore I have found that most people there are good people unlike many midwesterners. Midwestern friendlinest my a$$. Most people I met in the Midwest or from the Midwest were extremely rude, cold, cranky, and aggressive. Even the children were this way. I hate the Midwest and all of its cities.

J. Carson Jul 22nd, 2002 12:34 AM

...And the midwest still sucks. yuck!!