Reload this Page >

NYC--Theater tickets for family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Becky

We are planning to take our four children(ages 10-18) to NYC the last week in March. We want to see Phantom for sure, also are thinking about Lion King and Stomp. What would be the chances of getting discounted tickets day of for any of these? Are there any other shows that would be age appropriate? Does anyone have any advice on how expensive we should go on ticket prices? Are middle price tickets ok in these theaters? Are the $20(lowest price) tickets horrible?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Jennifer

I went to NYC for four days a few years ago and my roomie from college who lives there said it's fairly easy to get discounted tickets if you can be flexible. Tehre are kiosks in the manhatten area/theater district that sell discounted tix for that days' or some near/upcoming shows. We paid about $75 ea for very good seats to see a show on a friday night. I'll see if I can find out more abouth the kiosks and reply again later. JST

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 10:21 AM
howard

The chances of getting discount tickets for The Lion King are non-existant. (In fact, you'd have trouble even getting full-price tickets for late March.)
The changes of discount tickets for Phantom of the Opera are iffy--possible for weekday, impossible for weekends.
For Stomp--again discount possible for weekdays, hard to impossible for weekends.
Another show for the family is The Music Man, which is good for the entire family. Your older kids are probably too old for Beauty and the Beast.
The previous poster is probably talking about the TKTS half-price day-of-performance booths in Times Square and the World Trade Center. You can only get performances for the day that you're in line.
The $20 tickets are either way, way up in the balcony or in the first two rows (but the latter ones, I believe, are usually for students only).
If you're lucky enough to get half-priced tickets, keep in mind that it'll still cost you around $40 or more for Broadway musicals.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 10:50 AM
jennifer

Becky - just double checked with my friend in Manhatten. She says the kiosk is at west 45th and Broadway and you can get discount tix the day of show only. I guess the prices are going to depend on which theater and show you are trying to go to. We saw Chicago and the Schubert. it was excellent! Good luck. Jennifer

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Ellen

I don't know if I would want to spend 3 precious hours of my vacation time standing in the cold, on line, waiting in the hopes of getting 6 decent seats, all together for a show suitable for the kids. Instead of getting cheap seats for 2 or 3 shows, why not splurge and get decent seats for 1 show? Forget Phantom with a 10 yr old. Lion King is impossible, and Stomp is not what I'd consider a Broadway show. Suggest Music Man. At least the kids may recognize some of the songs. You could also look into Blue Man Tubes as a 2nd show. Wasn't my thing, but enough people love it to the point that they also have a permanent home in Las Vegas. I think their tickets are a bit cheaper than the more lavish Broadway productions.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 01:19 PM
howard

Jennifer, your friend is wrong. What she calls the kiosk is the TKTS booth I mentioned in an earlier posting, and that is located in Times Square at 47th Street, not 45th.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 03:01 PM
GOL

Are $20 tix horrible? Yes. But it doesn't matter as you get in and can stand or move. Just before Civil War closed, we (3 non-students, aged-like-cheese adults) bought the rush (?) tickets (just for students, they say, but never cared). Seats were in front row, but (not kidding) could only see first 2 ft of stage because of the angle. We stood in the back, and were told we could move to an empty seat (which happend to be in the box, believe it or not) [I'd never buy box seats - they weren't that good.]

How expensive should you go? IMHO, seat selection is by far the determining factor for show enjoyment. If the seats are good, pay $85 or whatever the going rate is. I carry Stubs (paperback book listing all theatre seating charts) when I order or go to TKTS.

Howard's point about price (and all he says about NYC) is good; You will have to spend ~$300 for the family, even at 1/2 off.

Check with playbill.com. Since I signed up for their mailing list, I've been receiving 2-fors / special mailings once in a while.

I believe you can buy next day tix at TKTS in World Trade Center for afternoon performances. "tickets for Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday matinee productions are sold the day before." as clipped from http://newyork.citysearch.com/feature/34843