Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC - The Met and Cloister's admission (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-the-met-and-cloisters-admission-1083581/)

isabel Jan 10th, 2016 06:46 PM

NYC - The Met and Cloister's admission

On the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s web page it states that the fee includes SAME WEEK admission to the Cloisters. On the Cloister’s web page it says the fee includes same DAY admission to the Met. Does anyone know if it only works that way – that if you go to the Met first, you can get into the Cloister’s for the rest of the week, but if you go to the Cloister’s first you can only get into the Met that same day. Or is it same week admission now regardless of which you go to first.

Also, I know the Met is usually more crowded on weekends. I know the last week in January is a (relatively) slow time in NY. Would it still be best to try to go the Met on a week day or at that time of year will it not really matter.

Thanks

Bedar Jan 10th, 2016 09:17 PM

At the Met you do not have to pay the "suggested" entry fee. Just get on line and pay what you want/can afford. I always pay $1. Am not sure about the Cloisters which are a part of the Met. The same system may apply. Don't remember. It is always better to visit on a weekday.

doug_stallings Jan 11th, 2016 05:29 AM

Sorry, but I can't clarify the same day/same week admission issue for you, particularly if it's inconsistent on the web site of the museum itself, but the Metropolitan Museum is always busy, especially so on weekends, so I'd avoid Saturday through Monday (it's busy on Monday because few other museums are open). The Cloisters is never busy, and you can go there whenever you want. My advice would be to go to the main museum on a weekday and the Cloisters on the weekend immediately after.

Fra_Diavolo Jan 11th, 2016 06:32 AM

If you must go on a weekend, Sunday morning is the least crowded time.

thursdaysd Jan 11th, 2016 07:06 AM

The "admission fee" for both is "recommended". You can choose how much or little to pay. Or pay nothing. If I were going to spend the whole day I might pay the full amount (but I'm over 65 so it is a bit more reasonable), last time I went to the Met I just wanted to see one exhibition and I paid a lot less.

Christina Jan 11th, 2016 01:20 PM

Exactly, they can't force you to pay a certain amt anyway, so it doesn't matter. So why not just split your contribution between the two whenever you go to either, that seems fair to me if you're doing it very close together, same day or not.

I also have paid only about half price because I only intended to be there an hour or two at most for a couple exhibitions as I had to get to a matinee at a theater.

Fra_Diavolo Jan 11th, 2016 01:52 PM

I think the Met is worth the full price and that people who can pay it should pay it.

They are required to offer the "pay what you wish" policy as a condition for receiving city funding. However, that funding does not cover their running expenses by a long shot (11% of its $250 million operating budget). Personally, I think it's great that people who cannot afford admission can still enjoy the museum, but believe wealthier people (say, the sort who can stay in a NYC hotel, take in a show or two, and dine out) should contribute the suggested amount.

http://metmuseum.org/about-the-museu...ortant-message

NeoPatrick Jan 11th, 2016 02:49 PM

I love it when some people try to interpret for others. Frankly I think paying $100 for 8 hours at the Met is a lot, even if I can "afford it".

Before you go ballistic, realize that I'm more likely to pop in for a couple hours four times in a year than I am to spent 8 hours in one day. One would be $25, but the other would be $100. So please don't judge if you haven't considered the possibilities.

Fra_Diavolo Jan 11th, 2016 03:29 PM

Try that argument at the Morgan or the Frick or MOMA or the Art Institute of Chicago and see how far it gets you.

NeoPatrick Jan 11th, 2016 03:34 PM

Huh? I thought we were talking about the Met? I wasn't aware the Frick and the Morgan encourage "pay what you wish" so what in the world do those have to do with my comment? Maybe you should just say "try that at a movie theatre" since that would be as applicable.

And seriously , Chicago? Are you deranged? I thought we were talking about NYC. No?

NeoPatrick Jan 11th, 2016 03:37 PM

But I am sorry you can't understand the logic of giving a museum $25 for admission for 8 hours whether it's in one day or four days. Admittedly it takes a bit of logic and intelligence to understand that concept, so I forgive you.

maitaitom Jan 11th, 2016 03:41 PM

To get back to your question, at the Cloisters they said with our little stickers we could go to the MET for free that same day...We didn't do that.

I had no problem paying the $25 admission. To me, the day was priceless.

((H))

NeoPatrick Jan 11th, 2016 03:51 PM

I agree it's priceless, but if you go into the city a lot and want to go to the Met a lot for short times all those $50 for an hour or two for two really add up.

Fra_Diavolo Jan 11th, 2016 04:09 PM

"I agree it's priceless, but if you go into the city a lot and want to go to the Met a lot for short times all those $50 for an hour or two for two really add up."

So become a member, though I admit that such a common sense solution to the issue takes a bit of logic and intelligence, qualities which your endless arrogance suppresses.

I admit, the whole idea that X dollars buys you X hours as applied to museums is an original concept, and one behind which cheapskates and freeloaders can easily hide.

NeoPatrick Jan 11th, 2016 04:21 PM

And did it ever occur to you "Miss high and mighty" such circumstances are exactly the reason The Met has a "pay as you wish" policy? Not everyone comes and spends a full day. But here's an idea. Next time you're there throw in a couple spare hundred dollars to cover people like me. That will help you feel even more superior than you already do, since obviously that's important to you.

Frankly I'd rather be a "cheapskate" than you! Talk about arrogance. By the way, I AM a member of The Met -- that wasn't the point of my post, but I realize my post was far too complicated for you to understand.

You're welcome.

Fra_Diavolo Jan 11th, 2016 04:34 PM

"And did it ever occur to you "Miss high and mighty" such circumstances are exactly the reason The Met has a "pay as you wish" policy?"

It most certainly is not. The Met has a "pay as you wish" policy because it is a condition for obtaining city funds, as explained earlier, not because of the goodness of its institutional heart. I have no doubt that the administration is pleased to provide access to the needy, but that is not the reason for the policy.

"I realize my post was far too complicated for you to understand. "

It must be difficult for geniuses such as yourself to deal with the uppity hoi polloi.

By-the-way, genius, I'm a Mister, not a Miss.

NeoPatrick Jan 12th, 2016 04:10 AM

"By-the-way, genius, I'm a Mister, not a Miss."

Sorry, I never knew that. But I'm not sure what being a genius has to do with missing that fact.

"It must be difficult for geniuses such as yourself to deal with the uppity hoi polloi."
No I do fine dealing with the masses -- it's dealing with people like you who make assumptions that people who go to a museum frequently and adjust their donations (yes, all admissions to the Met ARE basically donations) must be cheapskates. You are not able to understand HOW some people determine what they can and/or should pay -- but you feel self-important enough to determine what their reasons are. How rude of you.

Meanwhile regarding policy, ask yourself this: Why would the museum offer unlimited free admission to the museum (plus many other benefits) for just $80 as a membership, but resent the fact that someone might adjust their admissions (as they wish) by maybe going 8 times in a year and giving a total of $80 -- $10 a time instead of a total of $200? And who are YOU to decide that if a person wants to make a number of brief visits to the museum like that or maybe just dropping by to attend one of the many events or lectures, that they are being a "cheapskate" if they don't give $25 each time?
And please note clearly above all lists of admissions it clearly states "recommended" -- but of course, in your world -- that means "required unless you are cheap".

KRNS Jan 12th, 2016 04:15 AM

When my son was unemployed I suggested he pay only a few dollars when he wanted to go to the Met. He didn't want to do that but to make him feel more comfortable I said most of the inventory was donated or stolen from the origin countries. How's that for a good rationalization?

I had no idea that the operational budget was so high, wow!

Karen

BigRuss Jan 12th, 2016 09:54 AM

The Met is not just making back its operational budget from city grants and admission fees. Its shop is ubiquitous both online and in various installations throughout the country. It trades well on its brand, as it can and has the full right and reason to do.

Kathie Jan 12th, 2016 10:21 AM

If you enjoy the Met but think the admission price is high for a short visit, consider joining the Museum - you get unlimited free admission for the year.