NYC: The High Line, Whitney, Guggenheim, etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not going to ask for a bunch of things to do and THEN come back and say, "Oh, we did that already" or, "That won't work for the sister-in-law" routine, so being a bit more specific.

Will be in the city between 11-17 April (6 nights). Have a show or a Met performance on five of the six so eating may become a challenge since we tend to eat early but am sure we'll survive.

Have not been to the Guggenheim in years and thought perhaps. Have not been to the High Line or the Whitney at all, so those seem like "musts" somehow.

Shopping is not a priority but if the Macy's flower thing is still up might pop in there.

Back to eating: on Met nights might try to find something nearby...we did PJ Clarke's once last time and had fairly decent food and felt relaxed. Face it: we love great food but we are, I am sure, pretty "ordinary" in that regard and those of you with steam ovens have called me worse. But any unusual places to eat either lunch or otherwise would be good and appreciated.

Do not want anyone to spend a lot of time on this; I should be doing housework myself. We look forward to being back in New York even if only for a few nights.

Thank you very much and have a great day.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking The High Line on a lovely spring weekday would be nice; I would skip it if less than ideal weather and also skip on a weekend -especially if it WAS ideal weather as it will be mobbed.

If you haven't done The Frick or The Morgan; I'd toss those into the mix.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 06:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you decide to walk the High Line, remember to walk from south to north to keep the sun out of your eyes.

Guggenheim is still the Guggenheim. Unless there is a special exhibit you want to see, stepping into the lobby will usually suffice.

Near the Met you might want to try Boulud Sud or the Bar Boulud.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Debit: thanks very much; we have done both the Frick and Morgan (and very much enjoyed both) but I appreciate your suggestion and apologize for the construction of my post. I really should have listed all those things we have seen, and some were recent so do forgive that.

Fra: thanks I will look into both of your suggestions now.

I see the Prix-fixe might work, hours-wise prior to the Met and will study the menu more.

Appreciate this.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 07:08 AM

Curtain time at the Met is usually 7:30, correct?

Here are some places with an excellent prix fixe lunch:

Tocqueville
Gotham Bar and Grill
Nougatine

I am in the minority as I do not like the architecture of the new Whitney and the collection is curated in an odd fashion. Unless the Guggenheim has a special exhibit, the permanent collection is not so exciting.

The Frick has an wonderful collection in a tranquil setting. There are either 35 or 36 paintings attributable to Vermeer and the Frick has three.

A walk along The Highline is filled with wonderful perspectives, angles, views, and colors. It is extraordinarily busy. Some good restaurants near there are Red Cat, Cookshop, Tia Pol, and Santina.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Devereaux and Butterfly are at 7:30; Boheme is at 8:00.

An obvious pattern is beginning to emerge about the Guggenheim and I am getting the message, so thanks.

The High Line would be done during the week I suspect and thanks for the lunch suggestions.

We rarely ever eat three meals a day anymore and a decent lunch can go a long ways (supplemented by some bites of M+Ms before "Madame" takes her own life).
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 07:49 AM

(supplemented by some bites of M+Ms before "Madame" takes her own life).

Maybe there will be a surprise ending.

If you have time you should visit Economy Candy on Rivington Street.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/economy-candy-market-new-york
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

"Maybe there will be a surprise ending"

LOL, I like the way you think, trust me. You know folks probably attend opera performances because they want to see one "memorable" scene or hear one "memorable" aria.

I once got into a LOT of trouble when I told someone that after "Nessun Dorma" is over in Turandot Act III they could, IMO, ring down the curtain and I would be happy to go home.

We saw "Tosca" in Europe last year and waited with bated breath for her to leap off the balcony to her death. Instead, she was consumed by a bunch of stage "fog" but what can you do?

I am going to look at the Economy Candy link now and thank you for suggesting it.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

OH, wow. "Four pound bags of M+Ms...in all colors?" Definitely!!!!
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 08:48 AM

Also across from Lincoln Center are Cafe Fiorello and The Atlantic Grill (seafood).There's also Rosa Mexicano if you're into Guacamole.

As a long time Met Subscriber I have seen lots of Toscas leap to their doom.
The most memorable for me was Montserrat Caballe (who was not slender)…
she just daintily stepped off the ledge.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Gwendolynn, thanks...will take a look at your suggestions. I knew, vaguely, about Rosa Mexicano and not so much the others. I'd settle for a decent taco with recognizable meat.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 09:45 AM

"Rosa Mexicano if you're into Guacamole"

Mmmmmmmm. That's all.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Does that mean the decent tacos are not a possibility?
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It may be easier to get reservations at Gwendolyn's suggestions, if they suit you. Have eaten at Fiorello's several times and enjoyed it.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 10:13 AM

Here is more place behind Lincoln Center that has been there more 15 years and always neglected. The Greek Kitchen.

http://greekkitchennyc.com/

We are not opera people but we had tickets to Philharmonic for about twenty years. The last opera we saw was a recent version of Zeffirelli's La Boheme.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 10:32 AM

Lincoln at Lincoln Center is supposed to be great...on lots of foodie lists. Haven't tried it myself.

If you go to the High Line, Del Posto has a fabulous prix fixe lunch and is right there. Fancy schmancy but delish...the only place I know of in NYC with live pianist for lunch.

In the theater district, Gotham West market is an upscale food court with lots of nice options.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 10:54 AM

It means that I don't remember anything else in particular except the guac!. But then for me, I get some amazing tacos right here at home.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 12:19 PM

Bar Boulou and Fiorello are next to each other between 63rd and 64. on Broadway. On the corner of 63rd is the Smith. A little downscale from the others but noisy and cheery. Atlantic Grill and Boulou Sud are just around the corner on 64th.. Rosa M is at 62nd just across from The State Theater. (I refuse to call it the David Koch Theater - Lincoln is right on the Plaza. If you wanted a different experience you might try the Grand Tier Rest. right in the Met.
Expensive and food is just average…. but it's very convenient (and fun to have dessert between acts. )
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the recs and comments. Since we will be at either the Met or at the Beaumont for our first three nights in a row I have made reservations at the Fiorello, Rosa Mexicano, and the Atlantic. Used Open Table without any problems.

Since Thursday is our "off" night we'll play that by ear; now thinking about Friday and Saturday.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 01:14 PM

In the immediate Lincoln Center area, Lincoln, in the complex, is a good bet for upscale Italian food under the helm of Jonathan Benno, former PerSe chef.
If you want to walk as far as CPS, across from Time Warner, Marea is much better for Italian with emphasis on seafood and pasta. Both are in the expensive category. I like Marea very, very much.

Near the High Line, museums you might want to take a look at Santina (also Italian with emphasis on fish/seafood) for lunch.

http://www.santinanyc.com/

Perry Street is another good spot for lunch not too far of a walk away. It is in the Jean Georges stable and he lives in the building so is around a fair amount.

http://www.perrystrestaurant.com/

Also look at Barbuto for lunch in the general area. You need to book ahead, especially for Santina and Barbuto.

http://www.barbutonyc.com/index.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -