Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC - Staying at JFK airport hotel, transport question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-staying-at-jfk-airport-hotel-transport-question-846692/)

goingtomiami Jun 25th, 2010 01:46 PM

NYC - Staying at JFK airport hotel, transport question

Have been to New York, will be staying two nights at an airport htl near JFK.

WOuld like to go to downtown Manhattan and possibly take a crown tour of the Statue of Liberty (at present tickets are available for the dates I need).

I have some questions:-

Can I buy a Metro card and use it on the Airtrain at JFK? I will need at least two rides on the airtrain, one when I go to the city, one when I return. How long does it take by subway to get to Lower Manhattan from JFK? Which lines are best for this route? What is the best time of entry ticket to buy for the statue since I have a fairly long commute to Lower Manhattan? Any advicse will be appreciated.

Thanks.

sf7307 Jun 25th, 2010 02:02 PM

The airtrain is a separate charge - I believe it is $5.00.

mclaurie Jun 25th, 2010 02:10 PM

Staying at JFK is a really terrible idea. None of the hotels are at the airport and most are not near a subway station so you have to first get a hotel shuttle to the airport, then take the AirTrain which is $5 every time you use it and then transfer to the subway which is another fare. There's nothing around the airport hotels in terms of restaurants. Most are not very nice and they're not really inexpensive.

If you don't want to stay in Manhattan, at least stay at a hotel in Queens that's closer to Manhattan and near a subway station. Long Island City is one stop from Manhattan. The Country Inn & Suites is a good option there. Hopstop.com will estimate the time for travel. The best entry ticket for SOL is the first ferry of the morning, yet another reason why staying out at JFK which is 40-60 mins. by train is a bad idea.

Aduchamp1 Jun 25th, 2010 02:13 PM

You will also have to find out where the Aitrain stops relative to your hotel. There is a stop at Federal Circle.

From the Airtrain you can either take the "E" line which goes to lower Manhattan. You can also tranfer along the way to other subway lines. Or the LIRR which will take to you Penn Station where you can take a number of trains.

ellenem Jun 25th, 2010 02:54 PM

From JFK to downtown Manhattan, your best bet (once you connect from your hotel to the AirTrain via the hotel shuttle as mclaurie mentioned) will be AirTrain to Howard Beach where you catch the A train (subway train) to Fulton Street. At Fulton you can switch to the 4 or 5 trains downtown, and ride two stops to Bowling Green. This stop is in the northeast corner of Battery Park, close to the Statue of Liberty ferries.

Cost will be $5.00 AirTrain + $2.25 subway each way

(Do not take the E train or LIRR as recommended by Aduchamp--it will take more time to reach lower Manhattan, though that route is better to reach midtown.)

The ride on the A train plus 4/5 train will take about an hour. Add in the hotel shuttle and 5-10 minutes for the AirTrain.

I, too, would rethink two nights at a JFK hotel—not a pleasant choice.

nytraveler Jun 25th, 2010 06:18 PM

If you stay at a JFK hotel it will take you about 1.5 hours in and out of the city each time - IMHO a huge waste of time. Hotel shuttles to the airport are not that frequent and often don;t run at night - meaning you would need to get back to the hotel fairly early - and have few if any choices for dinner (they are basically in areas of large highways - no restaurants nearby).

Agree if you must stay in Queens, stay at one of the LIC hotels right near the subway - and be in the city in 15 minutes.

goingtomiami Jun 29th, 2010 01:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. Sorry couldn't log on for a few days.

I haven't booked the hotel yet, flight are arranged and I need a hotel for two nights. Have been to NYC in the past and the main reason for stopping on this trip is to get crown tickets and climb the Statue of Liberty. Since it's a weekday I'd also like to stroll around a little downtown. Other sights in NYC are of no interest on this trip.

Can fodoritres please recommend a hotel in Queens.

What is LIC?

Thanks.

mclaurie Jun 29th, 2010 01:47 PM

LIC= Long Island City, a section of Queens that's close to Manhattan. There are bunch of newish hotels there because of proximity to Manhattan but it's not a terribly lovely area but safe and convenient. The Country Inn & Suites is one good budget option but the Verve, the Holiday Inn City View and a few others are fine too. BUT, given your reason for stopping in NYC, it makes more sense imo to either stay at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge OR one of the downtown Manhattan hotels that would place you near the ferries. Look at a map. If these nights fall on a weekend, you could well get a deal at a downtown financial district hotel that would be the most convenient option of all for your purposes. Bidding on Priceline for a 4* downtown hotel might work well for you.

doug_stallings Jun 29th, 2010 03:42 PM

My guess is that staying at JFK will take you no less than two hours each way when you consider the time necessary for an airport shuttle. Comfort Inn Long Island City may cost no more than an airport hotel, and it is one subway stop tom midtown or about 30 to 40 minutes from the financial district. Try the Embassy Suites on Hotels.com or any downtown hotel on Priceline for a better location for about the Same price (hopefully).